Zinc oxide verses bottom paint on bronze rudder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roc

I have taken down my rudder to bare metal (bronze) wondering if anyone has painted their rudder with zinc oxide as opposed to bottom paint. At present I am planning on putting on an epoxy primer, followed by my bottom paint. I have done this in the past with good success. Just wondering if anyone out there has used the same paint as is used on the prop??
THANKS ROC

One season we used cold galvanize spray on the running gear. 6 months November to April. Results were poor to fair. 1/2 inch barnacle growth all over in patches. Last year used the same ablative paint as the rest of the boat (interlux ACT ) and results were good.

Second the paint over plain zinc for results.

I haven't priced bottom paint in quite a few years. I always expect high prices in marine stores but have to admit, I was shocked. One gallon can was near $350.

We wintered in Florida gulf coast water for three month stay. The Pettit zinc spray kept our prop clean while adjacent boats showed a multitude of the mini type barnacle growth.

Attachments

• 85565D46-AFD0-4E82-8219-B9A9BE04756D.jpg
    85565D46-AFD0-4E82-8219-B9A9BE04756D.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 67
One season we used cold galvanize spray on the running gear. 6 months November to April. Results were poor to fair. 1/2 inch barnacle growth all over in patches. Last year used the same ablative paint as the rest of the boat (interlux ACT ) and results were good.

Thanks for the reply’s! Going to prime with interlux Primocon followed by Micron CSC. Here in the Northwest we have a growing season from around April to Sept. then bottom dwellers sort of go into hibernation ?

I see you made a choice to go with bottom paint and that will work well. I have been using the cold galvanizing spray on my running gear including prop for the past few years and found it to be very effective if you give the running gear a minimum of 3 heavy coats. For my Mainship Pilot 30 that’s about 3 cans of spray paint at about $6 a can from Lowe’s.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom