Sold - Diesel Duck 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are talking about a WWII army Duck or something designed like one, get rid of it. They drowned many GIs in WWII before the Army figured it out and recently killed a bunch tourists in the US. We had one in Hawaii but they went broke before they could kill anyone

Sounds like quackery to me. :rofl:

The ultimate LOOPER? Drive on the roads past the less scenic segments? Drive it to town for shopping and dinner from remote moorings? Interesting conversation piece along your route? The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Going for the tastless comment of the day

Probably get lots of good weather advice too.

I mentioned a while ago that we are in the US with the idea of cruising in a 44 ft Diesel Duck we bought with the idea of fixing up.

We motored her 4 hours down to Rochester NY. The engine went very well and she cruised at just below eight knots. Her JD engine has 1800 hours and is good.
She is in the middle of having her bottom sandblasted. She needs some spots blasted on deck and topsides and a repaint.
I have had a surveyor inspect the bottom because of some pitting and he was OK with it.

Beth and I have found we have bitten off more than we can chew.
The boat is sound but we are finding the process far too stressful and have decided to sell her.
We paid $95000 for her and intend to auction her for what we can get.

Cheers,
Richard

Is this one of the Seahorse Marine built boats from China? $95,000 would be quite a steel for one of those. Sounds to me like you just got in with the wrong people which can happen to anyone. I'd try heading up to Maine to get the work done.

Sorry to hear of the recent passing of George Beuhler. A great boat designer.:thumb:

I sympathize with the dilemma of remote boat ownership. My sailboat has never been closer than 1000 miles from home. Things are so easy at home - welders, full CNC machine shop, full access to materials. But then I find myself in the 3rd world (like rural Virginia) where the smallest things are hard to accomplish. You depend on others with standards different than your own. It's a frustrating experience to be sure. And I haven't even had the 3 month alarm clock.

With the Canadian dollar fairly cheap, you might find a commercial (lots of steel repairs) yard that would work the boat as a winter project.

Its the labor that is expensive ,

Thanks everybody for your supportive comments. It has been quite a learning curve!!
We have formalized a listing agreement for Wombat.
She is listed with Peter deSousa of World Class Yacht Sales 727-945-7500.
Peter is the broker we purchased her through.
She is priced at $144,900 which almost covers our costs so far.

This is very reasonable for a functional DD in fair condition with newly blasted and painted bottom, and allows scope for further upgrades etc.
At present there is a near sister ship in very good condition for sale around $300,000 in Malta.

Cheers,
Richard

Even a Muir windlass! Hope the sale goes well.

Wombat has a new owner, and we are back in Australia somewhat wiser for the experience!
The combination of away from home and three months visa was not a workable way of fixing up a boat.
Would we do it again? No. Are we sorry to have done it? No!

Cheers,
Richard.

Back
Top Bottom