Diesel Oil Stains, Oh Crap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been using some FSR the PO had left on board. Its quite effective for removing the stains below my scuppers. Those stains arise from Teak Wonder (applied to teak decks for a couple of years) leaching out of the teak from rain/salt spray. Something else to try would be rust remover (or any phosphoric acid product). Its pretty good on my old gelcoat.

As to managing waste oil, my system is simple. Each engine uses 20 litre per change. So I buy 20 litre pails. I have a partly used one on board for any top-ups needed between oil changes. But I also keep one empty on board. So for oil changes its a case of fill up the empty pail via the oil change pump. Add new oil to the engine, and use the now empty pail for the other engine. I'm left with an empty pail which stays on board.

Even if you bring new oil on board in 1 gallon containers, keeping one engines-worth of empty containers on board would replicate what I am doing. After all, you already have the containers, no need to buy anything. If the containers are secure for new oil then they will be secure for waste oil too!

Attachments

• Castrol RX Super.jpg
    Castrol RX Super.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Ive been busy sewing new Shade’s for the aft and bow last couple of days and other boat chores, so haven’t found the time to continue cleaning. Stains seem to be slowly disappearing or maybe its because I’m not staring at them like I was a week ago.
If no rain this weekend, might get to trying the mek or acetone on them.

Crusty, I think you better sell 'er, she's obviously ruined.

Leave it alone, sun will do the best job on it, as it does on teak. Its pretty silly when you think of it, making the decks white? I know there are heat issues, but how many of you have white floors in your house, and I don't mean that polar bear rug in the living room?

I just bought a giant pressure washer and I will be "vapour blasting" my decks in a few days. You should see my decks now, then maybe you'd relax and maybe have a rum or two...

I'm with you. Our natural teak decks had us scared to death for staining. But red wine, diesel, engine oil, an oops with polish and more have all slowly disappeared. It ain't a museum.

I've had good luck with Barkeeper's Friend. One of its ingredients is oxalic acid, which does a great job on almost all deck stains we've encountered. Tide Pen and hydrogen peroxide can also be remarkably effective on stains.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Barkeeper's Friend. One of its ingredients is oxalic acid, which does a great job on almost all deck stains we've encountered. Tide Pen and hydrogen peroxide can also be remarkably effective on stains.

Best of luck!

I looked up FSR sds and it's main ingredient is oxalic acid.

Also earlier post said Lysol toilet bowl cleaner was the same as FSR, but it's sds say main ingredient is hydrocloric acid, not the same.

Diesel oil stains

Electronic contact cleaner. Trichloroethylene?

Try automotive "Brake Clean" Get it at an automotive parts store, make sure you get the chlorinated type. Takes oil stains out of anything I've tried.

Oh hell Crusty, take your grinder and remove that nasty stain, then put some bondo on it and call it good!!!! See ya in a couple of weeks

Ok, its been a couple weeks since the “spill” and not a significant change. Had hoped that we might see it “evaporate” or reduce the remaining stain by sunlight. So tomorrow Ill use some acetone and see if that helps. Just dont want to put wax on if the stain is still visible. Otherwise, we wont wax until the spring.
Thanks all for the suggestions. Now I’m on the hunt for a more suitable waste oil container, I surely dont want to go through this drill again.

Ok, its been a couple weeks since the “spill” and not a significant change. Had hoped that we might see it “evaporate” or reduce the remaining stain by sunlight. So tomorrow Ill use some acetone and see if that helps. Just dont want to put wax on if the stain is still visible. Otherwise, we wont wax until the spring.
Thanks all for the suggestions. Now I’m on the hunt for a more suitable waste oil container, I surely dont want to go through this drill again.

Wax? I’m not familiar with that term. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom