Makrolon Semi-rigid Enclosure Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Red Knot
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
I am considering using this for my flybridge enclosure update. They have a new product called Makrolon Marine 5 that has some flexibility The less expensive product that they don't recommend bending at all is Makrolon AR.

Have you had experience with these products? One installer claims that, in his experience with many installations, you can have some curvature in the AR product. He also says he has installations that are 10 years old and still in good shape.

Thanks!

Harlen

I put Makrolon AR in the side aft deck windows and the front flybridge window a year ago. While I wouldn’t try to put a sharp bend in it, it’s reasonably flexible, as in won’t break if you put a little flex in it. I’m sure by “cheaper” you meant “not quite so ridiculously expensive”.

My Lexan (Margard) has a very nice 90 degree curve to it on both forward sides of the enclosure.

I put Makrolon AR in the side aft deck windows and the front flybridge window a year ago. While I wouldn’t try to put a sharp bend in it, it’s reasonably flexible, as in won’t break if you put a little flex in it. I’m sure by “cheaper” you meant “not quite so ridiculously expensive”.

Actually, I guess you didn’t say “cheaper”, you said “less expensive”...never mind.

Our front three panels are Makrolon, but I don't know which version. There's some slight curvature, and when we lift the center panel to pin it to the hardtop -- with the Sunbrella fabric acting as the hinge -- the Makrolon necessarily flexes just a bit to clear some obstructions. No problems noted.

They've been there 24/7 since 2009, and this year the lower segments of the two outer panels have begun to yellow/haze. I suspect this is where sunlight is most intense. Might have seen the same results on the center panel except we often have that pinned up/open, so it maybe hasn't seen quite the same amount of sunlight over the years.

But we've decided to replace all three panels over this next winter; we've gotten our money's worth. This time I'll pay more attention which Makrolon product we want, though.

-Chris

My Lexan (Margard) has a very nice 90 degree curve to it on both forward sides of the enclosure.
Tom, I'm scheduled for a new 4 sided enclosure in November....(Lexan- polycarbonate.)
Anything I should be aware of? :huh:

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 70
I used Makrolon to renew my flybridge spray shield windows. 4 years later still looks like the day I put it on.

Ken

Tom, I'm scheduled for a new 4 sided enclosure in November....(Lexan- polycarbonate.)
Anything I should be aware of? :huh:

Walt I will send you a bevy of pictures in a few weeks. Will you be using Stamoid?

As usual, the installer will play a big role in determining how good a job you end up with. Have you seen a few different boats he has done?

Will you be using Stamoid?

As usual, the installer will play a big role in determining how good a job you end up with. Have you seen a few different boats he has done?
I'll have to check on the type of Lexan.The installer is the oldest shop in San Diego. He has done several jobs for me in the past but this is the first Lexan product for me. He has done others and they look fantastic! :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom