Thread: Talking trash
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #37
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Two things that help reduce trash a lot, which have both been mentioned ITT, are plastic water bottles and glass beer bottles. No longer any reason to have either on board and in the case of the water bottles there is no reason for them to exist at all in anything but an emergency situation.

I love craft beer, it's pretty much all I drink now. More and more breweries are offering their beer in cans now. The can is even going through an upsurge in popularity among beer snobs (like me). Total Wine offers huge shelves full of quality beer in cans. All cans are now lined, the can does not affect the taste whatsoever.

I've finally almost won the bottled water argument with my wife, though it took a really long time, which shows the power of marketing, I guess. They have no reason to exist...they are expensive, inconvenient, a health risk and terrible for the environment. I love my hydro flask, it keeps water cold, even on blistering summer days. I leave it in my closed up truck here in Florida all day long and the water still stays cool. A plastic water bottle in that situation basically cooks BPAs or other harmful chemicals into the water. My wife bought a dozen attractive glass water bottles (they look like old fashioned milk bottles), which she refills and keeps in the fridge. They work a lot better than the plastic ones.

We keep a gravity feed filter pitcher on the counter in the boat and refill from it. Probably overkill since we make our own water, but my wife likes it, so no biggie.

Here's a hydro flask link: https://www.hydroflask.com/ There are other water bottle brands out there that are good as well.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote