Talking trash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For us anything natural goes in the water.
The rest goes in small ex shopping bags that go in a bin in the cockpit and when that's full the lazaret.
Reality is it takes over a week to fill the bin.

Wine bottles simply go back in a box.

Usually every week we pull up on land somewhere in the dinghy and feed it all into bins at the local park/ jetty.

Ditto the food refuse over the side and getting rid of all boxes before cruising. We mounted a can crusher for soda/beer cans and hand collapse individual water bottles.

We don't put any food refuse over the side. Not only is it illegal, it can't mess with the local ecology. Keep in mind that we are never beyond 3 miles from shore.

I think plastic water bottles are a huge problem. Yes, we have them on board. The only reason we do is that it is an argument that I've not yet won with my wife. She drinks from plastic water bottles. I don't. While I deal with the garbage and recycling on the boat, I make her deal with the plastic water bottles.

I would love a trash compactor, but don't have the practical space for one. .

Do you have trash can's aboard? If you can't build a compactor in, a portable one takes very little more space than a kitchen trash can. They are 15" x 15". A 13 gallon kitchen can is larger. Your trash has to go into something and if it's crushed to 20% of it's size, it's very likely to take up less space.

Do you have trash can's aboard? If you can't build a compactor in, a portable one takes very little more space than a kitchen trash can. They are 15" x 15". A 13 gallon kitchen can is larger. Your trash has to go into something and if it's crushed to 20% of it's size, it's very likely to take up less space.

Interesting idea... I’ll look at that.

If wine drinkers like us decent quality box wines for everyday save a lot of weight and space and EZ to dispose of when finally MT.
Save the better bottles for special occasions.

Although I prefer bottles , beer in many cans can be frozen without breaking the can.

As the freezer slowly empties beer can be used as a Eutetic fluid , making longer hold over times easy.

Two things that help reduce trash a lot, which have both been mentioned ITT, are plastic water bottles and glass beer bottles. No longer any reason to have either on board and in the case of the water bottles there is no reason for them to exist at all in anything but an emergency situation.

I love craft beer, it's pretty much all I drink now. More and more breweries are offering their beer in cans now. The can is even going through an upsurge in popularity among beer snobs (like me). Total Wine offers huge shelves full of quality beer in cans. All cans are now lined, the can does not affect the taste whatsoever.

I've finally almost won the bottled water argument with my wife, though it took a really long time, which shows the power of marketing, I guess. They have no reason to exist...they are expensive, inconvenient, a health risk and terrible for the environment. I love my hydro flask, it keeps water cold, even on blistering summer days. I leave it in my closed up truck here in Florida all day long and the water still stays cool. A plastic water bottle in that situation basically cooks BPAs or other harmful chemicals into the water. My wife bought a dozen attractive glass water bottles (they look like old fashioned milk bottles), which she refills and keeps in the fridge. They work a lot better than the plastic ones.

We keep a gravity feed filter pitcher on the counter in the boat and refill from it. Probably overkill since we make our own water, but my wife likes it, so no biggie.

Here's a hydro flask link: https://www.hydroflask.com/ There are other water bottle brands out there that are good as well.

Last edited:
I've finally almost won the bottled water argument with my wife, though it took a really long time, which shows the power of marketing, I guess. They have no reason to exist...they are expensive, inconvenient, a health risk and terrible for the environment.

Maybe there is hope for me yet. I will keep working on my wife and see if I can finally get rid of the water bottle scourge on my boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom