What Am I Missing Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clearly marked down significantly due to the anchor.

Interesting to note, under personal items that didn't go with the boat was a 2800 watt heart inverter, weird. The other item that caught my idea was a 60 gallon holding tank for a 3 stateroom 3 head boat. Also, some very dated electronics.

Ted

Interesting to note, under personal items that didn't go with the boat was a 2800 watt heart inverter, weird. The other item that caught my idea was a 60 gallon holding tank for a 3 stateroom 3 head boat. Also, some very dated electronics.

Ted

The dated electronics replacement is $25K. Your still way below $350K

We've been looking at the same boat. Almost called to make an appointment to see it but got sidetracked with life stuff. Dated electronics are easy enough to fix and don't have to break the bank. Looks like a nice boat. Very comfortable size for a couple or a small family. Let us know if you actually go see it.

We've been looking at the same boat. Almost called to make an appointment to see it but got sidetracked with life stuff. Dated electronics are easy enough to fix and don't have to break the bank. Looks like a nice boat. Very comfortable size for a couple or a small family. Let us know if you actually go see it.

We just purchased a 2002 37’ Nordic Tug. Wish I had seen this first.

Not saying that it isn’t a good deal but noticed it’s lean on accessories. No stabilizer, no thruster, no A/C. First picture looks like a different boat from the rest of the pictures.

Not saying that it isn’t a good deal but noticed it’s lean on accessories. No stabilizer, no thruster, no A/C. First picture looks like a different boat from the rest of the pictures.

Down in the corner of the first picture it does state “Sister Ship”.
Remember this is a Defever!

Looks like a big old boat that will probably need lots of updates/repairs to me. And it’s going to wallow around in rough seas. So $220k seems cheap?

When they start with a photo of a sister ship, they've lost me completely.

As to what you're missing, other than the things already pointed out, could be much more. Boat could be a hurricane boat. No way to know without seeing it and checking it out. Just keep in mind, "When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

I believe it says it has …
- reverse cycle AC with digital controls
- water maker
- twin gensets
- iso transformer
- dinghy w/50hp
etc

If you're interested, call. Brokers are generally pretty good about saying why the boat is priced out of line with others in the market.

Designed by DeFever, built by ???......

There's a 53 in Stuart, FL for $224K... Molly Brown

Sister ship in first picture. I wonder why? The other pics look ok.

Last edited:
At least one of the pics shows the actual "for sale" boat's name on the transom. Maybe only the first pic is a sister...

-Chris

It could well be a deal...only a survey would uncover any undisclosed nightmares.

Sure, she looks dated, and most new owners would likely want to replace some electronics, plumbing fixtures, etc. But she also looks well maintained. It's just a guess but I'd say that the couple who own her have done so for a long time...maybe the original owners...and that they're aging out of her.

Gulf Breeze is in an area of the country that's pretty economically depressed. This could indeed be a great deal for someone.

Caveat emptor, of course....

My sympathies. This is exactly why I refused to look at any online boat for about 6 months after our purchase. I KNEW, guaranteed, I would find cheaper/newer/better. At least online that is. With no personal visit or survey to find "the truth" they would remain perfect or better than what I bought in my mind for a long time.

Sabre - P'cola is economically depressed? I think that would come as a surprise to the people I know over there.

Honestly IMO, I think you made a better choice with your Nordic. You've got a little more top end speed if you ever want it. You've got a single with a full keel protected prop, and you've got a boat that's 14 years newer.
The Defeve has twin unprotected props and old CATs with over 3000 hours that could very well need a major overhaul. Personally i'd be afraid of how much $ that Defeve could quickly vacuum out of your accounts... ;)

I love the "Wonder knot" holding the anchors roll bar to the rail....... My Jack Russell could have tied a better knot.Looks like a nice rig

No AC is a significant eye-opener. I do not believe one can even order a new boat like that w/o air. Then add the Phasor genset w/o a sound shield and I'm thinking a hurricane damaged boat refurnished by a cost-conscious crew that's cosmetically OK, but may have many hidden problems.
I'd be way leary of this one at that price.

Honestly IMO, I think you made a better choice with your Nordic. You've got a little more top end speed if you ever want it. You've got a single with a full keel protected prop, and you've got a boat that's 14 years newer.
The Defeve has twin unprotected props and old CATs with over 3000 hours that could very well need a major overhaul. Personally i'd be afraid of how much $ that Defeve could quickly vacuum out of your accounts... ;)

We are part timers (5 months per year) on our boat traveling the Western Rivers during the summer months but winter on the Gulf Coast.

The choice is truly a personal one but as a current owner of a DeFever 53 and previous owner of a DeFever 44, the props aren't as exposed as you describe. There is a full length keel that extends below the lowest point of your props. Not as protected as a single screw with full keel, but I'm not losing sleep whether my props are going to be damaged. Also, keep in mind, there are two types of boaters... those who have run aground and those less truthful!:facepalm:

Regarding the Cat 3208's.. 3K hours is just barely broke in. Especially if they have been reasonably maintained with clean fuel, clean oil and clean air.

We are stabilized with Wesmar 1000s and lope along just under 10mph burning around 6gph while running a 15KW genset for AC comfort. Our longest nonstop was from Ft. Myers to Panama City with 2 to 4s and never felt uncomfortable.

The three stateroom layout with a full head/shower for each stateroom allows guests to enjoy privacy unlike anything comparable. My wife truly enjoys her full sized refrigerator along with her full size dishwasher (it's not me);).

The standup engine room offers a comfortable and accessible place to work on those bullet proof Cats and both Gensets. There is room for all of your spare parts and tools to use them.

Having 5 separate AC zones allows each person to adjust the temperature for their individual pleasure.

As you can see, I am a fan of DeFever boats (visited the factory a couple years ago) and a big fan of DeFever owners. :thumb:

Okay... now the usual disclaimer, I have no ties to this advertised boat nor do I know who the broker is.

All the best,

Rusty Bliss
"Kristine"

DeFever 53 POC
Somerville, TN

old CATs with over 3000 hours that could very well need a major overhaul. ;)
I can't imagine why you would say that. Well maintained diesels should easily go 10,000 to 15,000 hours and our old genset was near on 19,000 when we did a rebuild on general principles, not by necessity.

If you are only expecting 3k hours out of your diesels, I'd suggest some serious changes to your maintenance regimen.

Prehaps some folks are reading a different listing .....
This is a georgous boat.
It has 2 phasor generators, with photos!
At least individual 4 reverse a/c units
Watermaker .....it goes on and on.
It's way to much boat for me unless I moved aboard but this is one beautiful yacht , love the side decks, and no teak !
There would be plenty of work keeping the systems working but comes with the territory.
Electronics , don't matter any more, a couple of good tablets and working radar is about all you need.
Cheers Warren

They all look great online then you see em in person! Reminds me of when the lights come on after last call...
The black iron main tanks can be an expensive refit and they are still present according to the ad however she appears well kept, full svc. manuals are a good sign and Defevers are nicely built boats. She has a/c and other essential accouterments, water maker etc. 3500 hours on a 3206 is nothing to sweat about, great motors, should go 3 times that with good care.
I'd look at her if in the market, love that layout, tons of space.

Last edited:
Reminder to be extra suspicious and diligent in investigating the history of any boat right now. There are quite a few hurricane salvage boats hitting the market and many not in hurricane areas.

The boat in the ad here may be perfect in every way, but one can't know without seeing and surveying and doing due diligence.

Based on what we can see

Reminder to be extra suspicious and diligent in investigating the history of any boat right now. There are quite a few hurricane salvage boats hitting the market and many not in hurricane areas.

The boat in the ad here may be perfect in every way, but one can't know without seeing and surveying and doing due diligence.

Of course anybody buying this would look it over carefully but not all large yachts are expensive.
The YouTube channel 'trying not to sink' is about a couple that bought a Florida Hatteras 56 80's model I think, for all in under $150k , they have cruised up to philly , back to Keys. They are open and honest about the boat , expenses etc.
For the right person/ people this Defever 53 could be a great buy if it's as it appears . Owning a 30 year boat like this will take some guts and be ready to get down and dirty or have deep pocket......in which case you probably would not buy an old boat. But compared to the price of a top quality tug/trawler you get an awful lot of boat for you money , which is the OP original point.
And he was right.
Cheers Warren

Yeah in looking a bit closer at the specs & photos, it does have some impressive qualities... didn't mean to "dis" the people with CATs; I know they can go on for many thousands of hours. 53' is a bit too large for my needs but could be good boat for a family... like others said it would require an extensive survey. And 2 engines, 2 gensets, etc. yikes, seems like a lot of things to maintain...
One positive factor mentioned on another thread here that applies to this DeFever is that for many states like FL once a boat hits the age of 30, it can be registered as an antique and I believe this can greatly reduce annual registration fees.

Back
Top Bottom