“Kinship” away again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anchors.

OK, I thought I would do an update on my Sarca Excel that I’ve had on the boat now for three summers.

As I am fond of reminding folks, I was the first US buyer from the NA distributor for Sarca anchors. The anchor has worked very well for me. I can only recall twice that it failed to set on the first try. One of those when I was trying to set it on a large granite shelf.

This trip, I’ve anchored in a lot of mud and anchored in some windier conditions than I typically do. I’ve found that the anchor held well, even with short scope. I would also add that my boat tends to sail a lot at anchor, so the anchor is being tugged back and forth as the boat tacks back and forth.

After a night like that, I can’t break the anchor free with the windlass. I have to get the chain up and down, then snub it and drive over the anchor to break it loose.

So I am still very happy with the anchor. My only complaint, is that there is a 3 inch section on the top of the shank where the galvanizing has failed.

Dave, what does your anchor weigh?

You going all the way home today?

Yeah, my daughter talked to my wife and they really want to see us tonight as they are going to be busy Sat and Sun. My daughter really misses my wife and my wife really misses our grandson. So, a long day today. Just now passing Blake Island. The currents didn’t help us today and I really miss that 1/2 knot or more that I am losing to a foul bottom.

Hah. I'm just passing Kingston. Cant see you om the AIS, but I do see the ferry you just passed.

Anchors.

OK, I thought I would do an update on my Sarca Excel that I’ve had on the boat now for three summers.

As I am fond of reminding folks, I was the first US buyer from the NA distributor for Sarca anchors. The anchor has worked very well for me. I can only recall twice that it failed to set on the first try. One of those when I was trying to set it on a large granite shelf.

This trip, I’ve anchored in a lot of mud and anchored in some windier conditions than I typically do. I’ve found that the anchor held well, even with short scope. I would also add that my boat tends to sail a lot at anchor, so the anchor is being tugged back and forth as the boat tacks back and forth.

After a night like that, I can’t break the anchor free with the windlass. I have to get the chain up and down, then snub it and drive over the anchor to break it loose.

So I am still very happy with the anchor. My only complaint, is that there is a 3 inch section on the top of the shank where the galvanizing has failed.
I`m sure Sarca`s Rex Francis would be delighted. He may not respond but I hope he gets to read your post.
The gal failure is a shame. Can you sand back and cold galvanize it?

Dave,

Thanks a bunch for taking us with you!

Hah. I'm just passing Kingston. Cant see you om the AIS, but I do see the ferry you just passed.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an AIS transponder. I have a receiver, but am not smart enough, and am too lazy to figure out how to integrate an AIS into my system.

We left La Conner at 6:30am and were in Gig Harbor and leaving the marina parking lot in the car at 6:38pm.

Where did you end up tonight?

Port Madison, still one of my favorite refuges.

I have to say, after five months of adventures, there is a lot of solace in the familiar: tea, chocolate, and a Paul Desmond solo on KNKX is a pretty good Friday evening.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom