Hurricane Florence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, good luck to all of you who may be caught in the path of that storm.

I think the problem with running away from a storm is two-fold. Familiarity and the squirrel connundrum. Presumably you're really familiar with your home port, know what its like in most conditions, have spent time scoping it out etc, and hopefully made plans and arrangements. If you try to outrun the storm you could very well find yourself in an unfamiliar area and in over your head without a lot of options.

The second problem is which way do you run ? 3 or 4 days out there is still a fairly wide cone of uncertainty.....every hour you wait for better intel on the storm path, the closer the storm is. If a storm is 2 days away, you could get 300 miles away, but a storm can be 3-400 miles wide....a slight shift in the track of the storm, and you're dealing with very bad weather on the move, wishing you were back at home.

Normally I would think a haul out would be the safest. ( Logistically and financially complicated though ) Around here most of our marinas are about 10 feet above sea level. I can't imagine a 20 foot surge. As the water level rises crowded storage yards would have boats bouncing up and down on their jack stands and holing the hulls.
Yes but just in the last decade that cone of uncertainty has shrunk greatly.

Most storms, even 50 miles in the right direction can be a huge difference. 100 niles and often you can drop 2 levels of hurricane force winds. You often dont have to get hundreds of miles away.

Staying put and hauling in a yard not well protected or knowledgeable might pretty well guarantee damage. Moving and leaving the boat at a well protected yard a 100 miles from the eye is at least bettering your chances in my observation.

Over the last 30 years we’ve faced a dozen or more mandatory evacuation orders at our home in southern Louisiana. I’ve evacuated 4 times (Ivan, Katrina, Rita, & Gustav) and always on our boat(s). My policy is to put 100 miles if I’m on the left (less dangerous side) and 150+ if on the dangerous side. We use the ICW and already know most “hurricane hole” options on either side. And we are always at home on our boat — lived on it for 6 months after Katrina. Our thoughts and prayers are with those facing the challenges of Florence.

OK, all you actual sailors and boat owners. Explain this stuff to a wannabe.

What sort of wave/wind conditions are dangerous in port or at sea? When is it best to haul out?

Would a wise skipper try to dodge the storm or would he take the warning time to haul out and head inland?

Lots of "it depends."

It's often said to be best to haul out, be blocked on high ground (higher than storm surge), be firmly secured to the ground...

But that's not always possible.

Another sometimes-useful option is to be at floating docks with TALL pilings -- tall enough so the docks will survive the highest storm surge and ideally with some leeway to spare -- and tied securely with at least double lines.

But that's not always possible.

Anchored in a decent hurricane hole could work... sometimes... assuming really good holding ground and really good ground tackle...

But that's not always achievable...

Running before the storm could work for some, depending on range, speed, etc.

But that's not always safe...

And so forth.

It depends.

-Chris

Most storms, even 50 miles in the right direction can be a huge difference. 100 niles and often you can drop 2 levels of hurricane force winds. You often dont have to get hundreds of miles away.

Staying put and hauling in a yard not well protected or knowledgeable might pretty well guarantee damage. Moving and leaving the boat at a well protected yard a 100 miles from the eye is at least bettering your chances in my observation.

Well, just to add to the debate, it appears the USCG moved some or most of their fleet Jax fleet down the St Johns to their favorite hurricane hole which I assume is the Buckman Lock south of Palatka. They started to return north yesterday. Apparently, they weren't taking any chances the track might change to hit north Florida. YMMV.

Well, just to add to the debate, it appears the USCG moved some or most of their fleet Jax fleet down the St Johns to their favorite hurricane hole which I assume is the Buckman Lock south of Palatka. They started to return north yesterday. Apparently, they weren't taking any chances the track might change to hit north Florida. YMMV.

And yet they added 2 helos to Savannah a couple days ago for rapid response. Guess with the Army leaving Hunter Airfield there was plenty of hangar space...if you trust it.

Speaking of deadly storms, spare a thought for those in the northern parts of Philippines tonight. A super typhoon(Category 5) 900kl across is due to hit the country tomorrow morning.

Last time one of these hit the the northern islands thousands died.

Assuming you have the time and money to handle the logistics of moving a sufficient distance. The government can, if only because we already fund their considerable supply chain. But for average boaters it's not terribly realistic to move a hundred miles away. Especially not if your home is also in the expected path of the weather.

Assuming you have the time and money to handle the logistics of moving a sufficient distance. The government can, if only because we already fund their considerable supply chain. But for average boaters it's not terribly realistic to move a hundred miles away. Especially not if your home is also in the expected path of the weather.

Then you should be expected to pay significantly higher insurance premiums.

Plus the government doesnt have unlimited deep pockets like everyone thinks....lots of hand wringing goes into evacuations..... sure funds flow if disaster support makes you look good....but many evacuations of USCG resources are often unecessary.....a lot I was involved with.

Over the last 30 years we’ve faced a dozen or more mandatory evacuation orders at our home in southern Louisiana. We use the ICW and already know most “hurricane hole” options on either side. .

LOL JDoc I didn't think there were any rec trawlers down there! I'm from Venice and left approx 30 yrs ago! Red Pass and Tiger Pass used to have dozens if not hundreds of tiny canals and they were where we'd put our non trailerable trawlers (shrimp not cruiser). They were lined with oaks and willows which were stronger than any marina pilings.
No idea what is left after decades of erosion since then though.

I got chills seeing the huge boats on top of the levee after Katrina. Knowing how low the river is in summer, it was shocking that the surge was able to put boats that size on top of the levee! And as was typical of every storm before it, there was virtually no national coverage of what happened in Plaquemines Parish.
Got a kick outta seeing the pogey boats sitting across the bottom of the Empire bridge too!

But for average boaters it's not terribly realistic to move a hundred miles away. Especially not if your home is also in the expected path of the weather.

Just got back from checking on my trawler in Crisfield, MD. There's a 37 Great Harbor that came up from Norfolk, VA to move his boat out of the hurricane warning area.

tmp_10424-20180914_1240257885305406466966059.jpg

Ted

It's been interesting to watch the boats at the one marina in Wilmington that has been shown where the boats have been impacted very little. Now, there was one sail boat that had a sail to open up into the wind. Had sail, as in past tense.

There was also a boat shown, I believe in Carolina Beach, and the boats were doing fine but this one had a bow full of water (only bow shown) and made me think of Hopcar's boat during Irma.

The flooding has only just begun in total. New Bern has had more than their share but so much to go elsewhere. While there are trees down and homes damaged, the fact the hurricane was down to a CAT 1 when it hit land is definitely a huge break.

It's been interesting to watch the boats at the one marina in Wilmington that has been shown where the boats have been impacted very little.

What marina is that, do you know?

Boats in the background make it look like nobody even added any extra lines anywhere, at least in the shots I've noticed...

-Chris

Just got back from checking on my trawler in Crisfield, MD. There's a 37 Great Harbor that came up from Norfolk, VA to move his boat out of the hurricane warning area.

View attachment 80897

Ted

Yeah, and my favorite GH-37 at that. I love that paint scheme. There are probably a gross number of Krogens hiding out around there too....as they will be gathering in Solomons for the Rendezvous. I’ve seen a few outer bands pass through your area. Big storm!

I can readily relate to the helos being a great viewing platform! I was a crew chief on Jolly Greens in Vietnam, ask any old timers around you if they ever ran into any "Candies" ?

I've been bounced around on a passenger jet enough to cure my atheism on a fairly clear day.....I can't imagine what its like for those crews that fly through the hurricanes !!

Watching he various channels, and it looks like lots of folks had to be rescued from New Bern due to the storm surge, rivers rising, etc. Wonder how the marinas fared there ?

Watching he various channels, and it looks like lots of folks had to be rescued from New Bern due to the storm surge, rivers rising, etc. Wonder how the marinas fared there ?

Watching local evening news Channel 13 WVEC here in Norfolk Va, they showed a New Bern marina with floating docks, and there was 2 foot left before the docks floated off the pilings. Big boats bobbing around and some sunk in their slips, just their tops visible moving in the water. Docks were moving up and down quite a bit too, looked like chaos. The marina looked sort of empty, so either people moved out, or those boats sunk.
Link to that video.
https://www.13newsnow.com/video/wea...ence-whips-carolinas-turns-deadly/291-8251947

Last edited:
Oh damn. I think there are a few TF members with boats there? I really hate to hear that.

I was watching the New Bern Grand Marina live cam yesterday and the marina looked OK then, but I guess the power finally went out and I lost my feed.

Speaking of deadly storms, spare a thought for those in the northern parts of Philippines tonight. A super typhoon(Category 5) 900kl across is due to hit the country tomorrow morning.

Last time one of these hit the the northern islands thousands died.
Indeed Andy. A number of concerned Aussies have connections with Philippines.
That in no way downplays our sympathies with those exposed in the USA. May it go as well as it can, perhaps with some luck, even a little better.

LOL JDoc I didn't think there were any rec trawlers down there! I'm from Venice and left approx 30 yrs ago! Red Pass and Tiger Pass used to have dozens if not hundreds of tiny canals and they were where we'd put our non trailerable trawlers (shrimp not cruiser). They were lined with oaks and willows which were stronger than any marina pilings.

No idea what is left after decades of erosion since then though.

I got chills seeing the huge boats on top of the levee after Katrina. Knowing how low the river is in summer, it was shocking that the surge was able to put boats that size on top of the levee! And as was typical of every storm before it, there was virtually no national coverage of what happened in Plaquemines Parish.

Got a kick outta seeing the pogey boats sitting across the bottom of the Empire bridge too!

Not many of us, to be sure, but surely a lot of culture down here of living on the water. For Katrina we left Empire two days before Katrina’s landfall and stopped the next day at the Port of West St Mary off off the ICW. The storm a(Katrina) was nothing (maybe 35 kts) in St Mary parish but it leveled our home port of Empire. We left the day of the hurricane (Monday) and we were back in Empire Tuesday with our boat to witness and evaluate the damages. You couldn’t have done that evacuating with a car! Other people could not get to their home for weeks afterwards.

Watching local evening news Channel 13 WVEC here in Norfolk Va, they showed a New Bern marina with floating docks, and there was 2 foot left before the docks floated off the pilings. Big boats bobbing around and some sunk in their slips, just their tops visible moving in the water. Docks were moving up and down quite a bit too, looked like chaos. The marina looked sort of empty, so either people moved out, or those boats sunk.
Link to that video.
https://www.13newsnow.com/video/wea...ence-whips-carolinas-turns-deadly/291-8251947

Looks like Bridgepointe Marina with New Bern Grand in background. The former is a little less protected from the relevant winds than the latter. The marina is typically full and historically few if any people leave for hurricanes.

I've been bounced around on a passenger jet enough to cure my atheism on a fairly clear day.....I can't imagine what its like for those crews that fly through the hurricanes !!

A good friend of mine was a data base manager for the NOAA Hurricane Hunters.
They said he had to fly on at least one mission if he worked there. He finally gave in and agreed to go on a mission.

There happened to be a reporter on the mission as well. After a couple of high altitude penetrations the reporter asked him what he thought of the flight. He made the mistake of telling the reporter he’d had worse flights on Eastern Airlines. It got printed the next day. His wife really got him. The phone rang and she told him Frank Borman wanted to talk to him and he sounded mad. . Borman was president of Eastern at the time.

Later in the flight they made some lower penetrations and it scared the piss out of him.

We left the day of the hurricane (Monday) and we were back in Empire Tuesday.

That big girl must be able to lift her skirt n move!

We went back a few weeks after to buy some shrimp and couldn't tell where our house used to be even though we found the parking lot for the post office that was directly across the street! It was covered over by sediment to the point you couldn't even find any foundations on our lane. It was freaky to say the least. We haven't gone back since, but apparently there is nowhere near the amount of people down there (Venice) as before the storm. I heard they even closed our school and started bussing kids up to Buras.

Ted,
Glad to see your photo of A.W.O.L. Again (Great Harbour 37).

Henry
Great Harbour 47 Seven Tenths (For Sale)
lying New Bern, NC

That big girl must be able to lift her skirt n move!

We went back a few weeks after to buy some shrimp and couldn't tell where our house used to be even though we found the parking lot for the post office that was directly across the street! It was covered over by sediment to the point you couldn't even find any foundations on our lane. It was freaky to say the least. We haven't gone back since, but apparently there is nowhere near the amount of people down there (Venice) as before the storm. I heard they even closed our school and started bussing kids up to Buras.

I’ve also experienced much of what you described. Major Hurricanes have forever changed our (LA) coastal communities. I wonder if that will happen in other areas of the US. I hope not.

Switched on the Weather Channel around 5:30 and the storm isn’t much of a wind event anymore, but man does that rain keep coming! It could be a week before some of those rivers peak! When the rest of the country is tired of hearing about it, the problems could still be getting worse. For the snow birds, it’s going to be a real gauntlet of channel drift & debris trying to maneuver south. A mile or two offshore may not do it with all that river vomit.

Attachments

• F6CEFC80-8095-44DC-84A0-83FBA75AAF3D.jpg
    F6CEFC80-8095-44DC-84A0-83FBA75AAF3D.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom