Boat build to boat buy. Seeking advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
For those that don't know, I was planning to build a Great Loop cruiser. Unfortunately, my health has gotten to the point where I can't physically build a boat as large as 30 feet. I may build my dink though.

Anyway, I have been researching and looking at boats. My youngest son goes into the USAF when he graduates high school in 2021. I will also become single at that time. Long story for another thread.

This is what I am planning for and what I want. Keep in mind the Great Loop and I would like to do as much exploring in those smaller areas that are inaccessible to larger boats due to hull draft and/or air draft.

I will be alone or possibly one other person, probably one of my sons. I am used to living in very small spaces so moving aboard a boat shouldn't prove to much of a challenge.

Here is what I want....

Around 30 feet and beam under 9 feet or under, so tralierable. I'm looking at this to be a one time purchase with no future upgrades planned.

Low air draft. No flybridge/or removable FB-I want to keep it low.
Low hull draft. Under 24 inches would be great. Nothing over 36 inches loaded.
One birth, V or stateroom, full size or queen. I move around in my sleep.
Full head. I prefer a stand up shower over a wet head. Hard to find on smaller boats.
No V birth portapotties.
Small galley with lots of fresh food storage with dorm size fridge. No freezer needed but would be nice to have.
I'm not a TV man but would like a nice area to relax inside while using the computer.
AC marine no RV rooftop units. Those things can get loud inside and out.

I prefer single diesel over gasoline and straight inboard or sterndrive. Not a fan of V drives unless they are set up with ease of maintenance in mind. No twins. Doubles maintenance.
Cruise range at hull speed no less than 300 miles and prefer 500-mile range.

Autopilot is a plus but I have no problems kicking back and steering the ship.
I'm a fair weather boater so radar isn't necessary but is always a nice addition.
VHF with AIS is nice but I can install and tune myself.

Must have accurate and up to date sonar. I wanna see whats down there. Not a fisherman so no need to locate those monsters of the deep.
Bow thruster would be nice but not necessary.
Anchor windlass is a must. Nice if it's operable from the helm or by remote.
I don't need a large back deck/cockpit. If a couple deck chairs will fit, that'd be perfect.

Big sliding pilot house windows. Being able to lock through while at the helm would be nice.
Small generator that runs on the same fuel as the main engine.
Inverter for running the occasional small appliance such as a toaster oven. Surprisingly, mine runs fine on a square wave and doesn't kill batteries fast. It's an Oster 1500 watt countertop convection oven. I've never run it more than 20 minutes in one day while on an inverter. It was in a friends travel trailer.
A small propane stove would be fine. With oven would mean I could leave the toaster oven behind.

The boat I consider to be near perfect is the Scout 30. I don't need to go fast. I like raised deck cruisers from the 30's but woodies are out. I'm not into the swoopy modern planning boats, think Bayliner and Sea Ray. I like a more classic styled boat like older KK, Tolly, Albin. Maybe that should be more of a commercial styled boat?

I'm 5'8" and need standing height. Ducking in and out of a v birth for bed won't be too bad but having to stay hunched over will cause me great pain.

I'm growing out of things, so things will not be added to the boat. Things are that which isn't useful to living or operating a boat.

I'm sure there is more but that is all that comes to me at this time.

I'm here!!!! :dance: :speed boat:

Read your OP. You know what you want. Hope you find it soon at affordable cost! - Art

Last edited:
Whats the targeted budget? Lots of small, capable cruising boats around for short money. As Long as you don't need speed and want bling.

You should buy a Marine Trader 34.

They are the most popular trawler ever built. There are thousands of them.

They usually need some "TLC" but nothing a competent boat builder can't handle.

They are perfect for the loop in height, speed and temperament.

I would think if you were patient enough you could find a Scout 30 . Those are really nice boats.

Ranger Tug, Nordic Tug 32 or Back Cove.

Yes, the Scout 30 does tick a number of the OP's boxes, but it is about as trailerable as the TT35.

Other boats that would work are the Albin 25 and 27. Cheaper too.

David

For a trailer boat it's hard to beat a Ranger Tug 27.

$$$ but it's all there...

For those that don't know, I was planning to build a Great Loop cruiser. Unfortunately, my health has gotten to the point where I can't physically build a boat as large as 30 feet. I may build my dink though.

Anyway, I have been researching and looking at boats. My youngest son goes into the USAF when he graduates high school in 2021. I will also become single at that time. Long story for another thread.

This is what I am planning for and what I want. Keep in mind the Great Loop and I would like to do as much exploring in those smaller areas that are inaccessible to larger boats due to hull draft and/or air draft.

I will be alone or possibly one other person, probably one of my sons. I am used to living in very small spaces so moving aboard a boat shouldn't prove to much of a challenge.

Here is what I want....

Around 30 feet and beam under 9 feet or under, so tralierable. I'm looking at this to be a one time purchase with no future upgrades planned.

Low air draft. No flybridge/or removable FB-I want to keep it low.
Low hull draft. Under 24 inches would be great. Nothing over 36 inches loaded.
One birth, V or stateroom, full size or queen. I move around in my sleep.
Full head. I prefer a stand up shower over a wet head. Hard to find on smaller boats.
No V birth portapotties.
Small galley with lots of fresh food storage with dorm size fridge. No freezer needed but would be nice to have.
I'm not a TV man but would like a nice area to relax inside while using the computer.
AC marine no RV rooftop units. Those things can get loud inside and out.

I prefer single diesel over gasoline and straight inboard or sterndrive. Not a fan of V drives unless they are set up with ease of maintenance in mind. No twins. Doubles maintenance.
Cruise range at hull speed no less than 300 miles and prefer 500-mile range.

Autopilot is a plus but I have no problems kicking back and steering the ship.
I'm a fair weather boater so radar isn't necessary but is always a nice addition.
VHF with AIS is nice but I can install and tune myself.

Must have accurate and up to date sonar. I wanna see whats down there. Not a fisherman so no need to locate those monsters of the deep.
Bow thruster would be nice but not necessary.
Anchor windlass is a must. Nice if it's operable from the helm or by remote.
I don't need a large back deck/cockpit. If a couple deck chairs will fit, that'd be perfect.

Big sliding pilot house windows. Being able to lock through while at the helm would be nice.
Small generator that runs on the same fuel as the main engine.
Inverter for running the occasional small appliance such as a toaster oven. Surprisingly, mine runs fine on a square wave and doesn't kill batteries fast. It's an Oster 1500 watt countertop convection oven. I've never run it more than 20 minutes in one day while on an inverter. It was in a friends travel trailer.
A small propane stove would be fine. With oven would mean I could leave the toaster oven behind.

The boat I consider to be near perfect is the Scout 30. I don't need to go fast. I like raised deck cruisers from the 30's but woodies are out. I'm not into the swoopy modern planning boats, think Bayliner and Sea Ray. I like a more classic styled boat like older KK, Tolly, Albin. Maybe that should be more of a commercial styled boat?

I'm 5'8" and need standing height. Ducking in and out of a v birth for bed won't be too bad but having to stay hunched over will cause me great pain.

I'm growing out of things, so things will not be added to the boat. Things are that which isn't useful to living or operating a boat.

I'm sure there is more but that is all that comes to me at this time.
You basically described a 30ft Sundowner. Check them out if you can find one for sale.

Check this out. This checks a lot of the boxes and low profile to boot. Its along the lines as the Scout too. It takes nothing to push it either. You can get this one built fairly cheap, even with quality materials. With your time frame pay as you go is a good method, IMO

Mark V 28

Mark actually lived on his larger one for years, traveling up the middle part of the country and back to Ft Meyers in the winter time. Send me an email if you wish too, and I can pass along some small builders that can do the hull. The interior is nothing to do in this style boat. I bet you can add a bit more creature comforts forward by enclosing the bow deck without compromising the boat's weight balance.

Last edited:
Ben,
Have you considered a Saint Pierre Dory?
Spira has one that’s very beamy. But there are many of these dory designs. Many are old and some feature the retractable propeller that the original Saint Pierre dory fishing boats had as they were all beached.
Most modern designs are plywood and are the easiest to build but a planked dory is also quite easy to build. Google some up.

forum.woodenboat.com

Last edited:
A Ranger Tug 27 was the first thing that came to mind. I’ve seen a ton of them the last few years. The owners are universally happy with the boats. I ran into a friend a week ago that had owned sailboats for years. He bought a Ranger and immediately took it to the Broughtens for 3 weeks. He loves it.

The downside is that they are stupid expensive IMHO. However, a used one might be just the ticket.

Thank you all for the post and advice so far. You all have mentioned almost every boat I am considering.

My plans were to build Spira's Sitka to 30 feet and include the V entry lower bow. Spira has the long cabin layout for his 27' Bahaman with a stand-up head and shower. That was the direction I was planning to go with Sitka. She has more of a square stern and broad beam than the Bahaman. The Sitka in my avatar is the 27-foot version built in MN by Raymond Pollock. He built her light and simple so she is nearly overpowered with 115HP Etec.

Link to the 27' Sitka in MN.

Boatbuilding Tips and Tricks

Nomad Willy, I consider two St Pierre boats, Spira's Newfie and Nexus St. Pierre Dory. Thay are great efficient boats requiring low power, but just not quite enough room in a trailerable boat.

Scratchnsaw, Mark is a good guy. His boats are nice. I did consider both of his bigger boats. I just couldn't sail myself on them. LOL

MurrayM, There is another similar boat that I had considered, Tad Roberts 20' Cruising Shanty. Room is the reason I decided against these.

Back to my plans. I decided against building because my physical health wouldn't allow me to complete a large boat build in a timely fashion. I decided to buy.

As far as price point, $25,000 to $35,000. I know, the price point is low. I've been looking at boats on the large inland lakes (land locked lakes) in my area. Prices on boats similar to what I am looking for are actually lower. I looked at an extremely well kept 27' Bayliner from the mid-80's. I don't think it was a planning hull. It had twin GM 454 gas engines on Mercruiser sterndrives if I remember right. The price had been dropped from $20,000 to $10,000. I was offered a test cruise but passed.

I don't know if it's my area, or what. Inland boats seem to not sell well, especially larger cabin cruisers. Mostly what sells around here are fishing boats, ski/wakeboard boats, bowriders, and pontoons. Unfortunately, diesel cruisers are hard to find inland unless they are commercial workboats.

My idea is if I find the right deal, I can use the boat on the lakes around here close by until time comes for me to cast off on the loop. Having this option would allow me to get to know the boat while also making any upgrades or changes I may want.

Thank you all for the post and advice so far. You all have mentioned almost every boat I am considering.

My plans were to build Spira's Sitka to 30 feet and include the V entry lower bow. Spira has the long cabin layout for his 27' Bahaman with a stand-up head and shower. That was the direction I was planning to go with Sitka. She has more of a square stern and broad beam than the Bahaman. The Sitka in my avatar is the 27-foot version built in MN by Raymond Pollock. He built her light and simple so she is nearly overpowered with 115HP Etec.

Link to the 27' Sitka in MN.

Boatbuilding Tips and Tricks

Nomad Willy, I consider two St Pierre boats, Spira's Newfie and Nexus St. Pierre Dory. Thay are great efficient boats requiring low power, but just not quite enough room in a trailerable boat.

Scratchnsaw, Mark is a good guy. His boats are nice. I did consider both of his bigger boats. I just couldn't sail myself on them. LOL

MurrayM, There is another similar boat that I had considered, Tad Roberts 20' Cruising Shanty. Room is the reason I decided against these.

Back to my plans. I decided against building because my physical health wouldn't allow me to complete a large boat build in a timely fashion. I decided to buy.

As far as price point, $25,000 to $35,000. I know, the price point is low. I've been looking at boats on the large inland lakes (land locked lakes) in my area. Prices on boats similar to what I am looking for are actually lower. I looked at an extremely well kept 27' Bayliner from the mid-80's. I don't think it was a planning hull. It had twin GM 454 gas engines on Mercruiser sterndrives if I remember right. The price had been dropped from $20,000 to $10,000. I was offered a test cruise but passed.

I don't know if it's my area, or what. Inland boats seem to not sell well, especially larger cabin cruisers. Mostly what sells around here are fishing boats, ski/wakeboard boats, bowriders, and pontoons. Unfortunately, diesel cruisers are hard to find inland unless they are commercial workboats.

My idea is if I find the right deal, I can use the boat on the lakes around here close by until time comes for me to cast off on the loop. Having this option would allow me to get to know the boat while also making any upgrades or changes I may want.
I think your budget is realistic IF you have readily available cash and can make a decision quickly.

Out drives are not at all my favorite but do have their good points. Just be real careful of their condition when purchasing... repairs can get very expensive. Up keep is not too bad as long as used correctly and maintenance is well continued. If left in salt water.... make sure anodes are well attached and kept fresh.

I think your budget is realistic IF you have readily available cash and can make a decision quickly.

I will have over the next few years. I'll be selling off property and stashing money away for the boat purchase plus some rainy day boat savings.

Out drives are not at all my favorite but do have their good points. Just be real careful of their condition when purchasing... repairs can get very expensive. Up keep is not too bad as long as used correctly and maintenance is well continued. If left in salt water.... make sure anodes are well attached and kept fresh.

I do prefer a straight diesel inboard. I am familiar with both sterndrives and straight inboards. Mostly Mercruiser though. I think I can handle most repair work and maintenance. I do need to brush up on the electrical properties of protecting sterndrives that will go into and out of fresh/salt/brackish water. You know, bonding and all of that.

One thing I don't like that I am seeing in our lake based boats around SC and GA is plastic or composite underwater through hulls. I much prefer marine bronze through hulls even on lake boats. Especially on lake boats. Grounding is much more common in lakes I believe than around the GL. Beaching is really common around here. Few add protection for it which could be a bargaining chip.

I will have over the next few years. I'll be selling off property and stashing money away for the boat purchase plus some rainy day boat savings.

I do prefer a straight diesel inboard. I am familiar with both sterndrives and straight inboards. Mostly Mercruiser though. I think I can handle most repair work and maintenance. I do need to brush up on the electrical properties of protecting sterndrives that will go into and out of fresh/salt/brackish water. You know, bonding and all of that.

One thing I don't like that I am seeing in our lake based boats around SC and GA is plastic or composite underwater through hulls. I much prefer marine bronze through hulls even on lake boats. Especially on lake boats. Grounding is much more common in lakes I believe than around the GL. Beaching is really common around here. Few add protection for it which could be a bargaining chip.
Marelon underwater fittings are well proven and dependable.

Lemme throw another brand into the pot.
The 34ft American Tug. The new 36 has the same WWL. Now they count the swim platform in the OAL like all the new boats.

Lemme throw another brand into the pot.

The 34ft American Tug. The new 36 has the same WWL. Now they count the swim platform in the OAL like all the new boats.

Very nice boats, if he could up his budget by a factor of 10.

Ben,
If you’re buying the only boat I’d recomend is the 25’ Swedish Albin.
And they are somewhat availible inland.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom