• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

trailerable trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The TT35 does not fit the OP's requirements by a long shot. The ACTUAL (not the marketing smoke on the website) specs are:

LOA 43 ft.
Beam 10'6"
Weight 10,600 lbs
Draft (outboards down) 24"

Have surveyors report and weight report that proves this. (A classic comment from one of our friends referred to the boat as the Great Hoax TT35.)

Cheers,
Pea

Wow, that's a first. Bitching about a Builder that doesn't round up or included the swim platform & bow sprit in the dimensions? :banghead:

Doesn't look like a hoax to me. If you've been to a boat show lately, where center console fishing boats over 500K are common, you know this is actually a lot of boat for the money. No connection, I just want one!

https://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/2018-tt35.html

Attachments

• 4b6152d2-81da-48f9-9052-4aa529b8fcde.jpg
    4b6152d2-81da-48f9-9052-4aa529b8fcde.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 98

And my confidence in the usefulness of your response was correct. Thank you for the courteous response. Wow - what an ordeal. That is almost a 50% increase over the contract price! The delay in delivery was shameful. If even half of what you say is true, apparently Great Harbor should be approached with extreme caution or better yet avoided like the plague. At $300K I may well be on the other side of the grass before your boat, used that is, is within my income bracket. I still like the concept but disappointed at you being a victim of bait and switch.

Wow! I had not seen that thread but it's certainly a cautionary tale for all of us. I understand that your attorney won't let you talk about the problems you had with Great Harbour but can you tell us about the TT35's performance & how the boat handles? I have to say that sitting on the trailer in your driveway the boat looks amazing.

You are assuming the boat is usable.

That's true. It does sound like there was a lot left to be done to the boat after delivery from Great Harbour & they may not have completed that process. I sure hope they're happy with her after they get everything done.

Yes, maybe GH overpromised and under-delivered, but that is the risk you take with the first of anything. They say never buy a car from the first year of production. As long as GH makes things right in the end I would be satisfied.

First adopters often pay the price of being first.

If you compare the price of similar sized boats to what GH initially priced the TT35 at you might see that GH would have to somehow shift the paradigm to make the boat at a profit for that amount of money. If they succeeded then everybody wins. If they found that they couldn't make it at that price, then apparently they started to cut things to get the price of the boat down to what they were getting for it. It seems that they can't make the boat for what they were charging for it.

That said, GH should have priced the boat realistically and should not try to get their NRE back on the first couple of boats. They should have expected to make the first several at a loss and their business model should have accounted for that.

It seems that the going rate for boats in that size category is about $10-12K per foot for a new boat. GH tried to make it for about half that.

Pardon the pun, but Seapiper might be in the same boat with their 35 that is going for about $5k/ft.

Last edited:
Thanks for reading my post #193. Each and every sentence is factually true and is backed up by documentation including video from our lake trial, emails, the contract, the survey, the FDOT weight report, and audio recordings made by the bodyguard who accompanied my husband Dan to his last two visits to the Great Harbour facility during Dan’s attempt to extricate our boat from Mr. Fickett.

It took my husband and I about 5 days to write that post #193, just to make certain that we could not be sued. After I posted it, Flywright sent me a lovely note and suggested that we ask the moderators to close that thread, again for legal reasons. Today I don’t give a fig and will go into more detail.

Incidentally, we have 12 people from TF to whom we have been sending regular email updates with photos concerning the progress of the repairs to the boat, and if you would like me to add you to the email list, please send me a PM with your email address and I would be delighted to add you in.

So far, Mariso has been undergoing a massive redesign of her stern, cockpit and gas tank installation to address several issues including a permanently awash cockpit & tailgate, and tanks installed in violation of ABYC standards. After that she will have all of her ABYC electrical violations addressed. We discovered that the cockpit and tailgate were below the waterline when we had our lake trial of the boat during the survey.

Several other TT35 owners have also contacted us and we discovered that the insanity did not begin or end with us. The saddest thing for me is this: All the boats that I am aware of so far have failed, among other items, electrical portions of their survey. One of the owners reported to me that that when he met with the younger Fickett and the shop manager and a salesman to request repairs for the problems found by their surveyor (a different surveyor from ours), GH shrugged off the bulk of the electrical problems and as happened with us, the builder is not inclined to repair them.

What bears pointing out is that this builder does not care that when all of us eventually decide to sell our boats, the same problems will be found by the next surveyor and most certainly would result in a large reduction of the resale price. This is one reason why my husband and I are having all of the issues repaired before we begin enjoying our boat; the other reason is that we prefer to cruise in a safe & seaworthy boat.

Several TF’ers have commented on the length of the boat with words to the effect of “Hey, you got more boat for your money.” Here is the problem with that. We were promised a 36-foot boat. Our dock is 28 feet long. This bears repeating: Our dock is 28 feet long.

We have not yet attempted to berth her behind our home, because we wanted to get her to the fiberglass shop, American Boatworks, a.s.a.p.

In addition, when cruising, all marinas measure the Length Overall from the tip of the bow pulpit to the end of the boat. Sure, we can exclude the bow pulpit and that brings it down to 42 feet. The outboard brackets are fiberglassed in, so they are integral to the hull. And the outboards, which will always be in the tilted upright position (to keep the running gear out of the water) when the boat is at rest in a berth or on the hook, account for the rest of the length.

My family owned a marina for 45 years, so in my lexicon the LOA is from the tip of the bow pulpit to the end of the swim platform, or in the case of an outboard vessel, to the end of the outboards in the raised position. It was the exactly same for our surveyor who recorded the LOA at 43 feet.

But the builder viciously attacked us and our surveyor for not using his "Coast Guard" measurement of hull only for the length. My issue with this is that when we were shown the little wooden model of the boat before it was built, there were no outboard brackets on the model with the outboards were attached to the stern. The builder also promised us before the boat was built that he did not plan to include a bow pulpit.

While I am aware of the Coast Guard measurement that is hull only for gauging the weight of a vessel, I do not believe that with this boat the Coast Guard would exclude the heavy fiberglass brackets which are integral to the hull.

After the survey, the builder stated that ABYC standards “are only voluntary” (in an email) and which while literally true is not standard business practice in boat building. He also had the gumption to state (in a freakin’ email!) that “your contract does not guarantee you a high-quality boat.” Yes, yes he did.

Again after the survey, one of the builder’s shop managers claimed to Dan that outboard-powered boats “don’t really need to be grounded.” I would love to hear him say that to a judge when the dog owner or person electrocuted in a marina or anchorage sues them.

The greatest thing going on for us now is Kevin and Paul of American Boatworks. These gentlemen have been such a refreshing change from the original builder, who treated us with utter contempt and disdain once he had our downpayment. American Boatworks is a remarkable, classy operation, unlike GH. This explains my boat model name in my signature here.

When we got our survey, we still “owed” the final payment of $20 thousand to the builder. The builder refused to put the boat into our name until he received the final payment, and we could not get the boat insured until it was in our name.

We hired an attorney and a private investigator. The P.I. informed us that Mr. Fickett had been sued numerous times by purveyors and boat owners, and we chatted with one attorney, John Hayter in Gainesville, who informed us that he had personally represented six separate plaintiffs in lawsuits against Mr. Fickett and his various boat companies. Attorney Hayter also knows several other attorneys who have filed claims against Mr. Fickett & his various boat companies. You can imagine what a HOLY $#!T! that conversation was for us.

Our maritime attorney informed us that we had basically two options:

1) Spend upwards of $300 thousand on legal fees to litigate against the builder. This would take years, and during that time the builder could experience a “fire” or other means of going out of business. We could easily win the legal battle and yet never see a dime of our original investment, our legal fees, OR OUR BOAT.

2) Pay off the clown and spend $40 to $90 thousand and have a safe, unique boat.

We are pals with several people who own the GH trawlers (the real trawlers) built before 2007. Those boats are awesome vessels, survey very well, and are beautifully built and designed. We don’t know what happened with GH with the TT35, but it is not pretty.

In my personal opinion, it is because the builder, for whatever reason, decided that he could design the TT35 without the aid of a naval architect. The builder told us before we signed the contract that he had designed the TT35 on a napkin and then handed it over to “his naval architect” Lou Codega. The GH website states that all of their trawlers were designed by Lou Codega, and they call the TT35 a trailerable trawler. We contacted Lou, and he had nothing to do with the design of the TT35.

Live and learn.

Cheers,
Pea

I’m just interested in the boat .. if that.

I personally want you thank you, Pea, for sharing this heart wrenching story. I sincerely hope that after all is said and done you end up with a boat that you can enjoy.

I personally want you thank you, Pea, for sharing this heart wrenching story. I sincerely hope that after all is said and done you end up with a boat that you can enjoy.

Strongly agree.

Related to this I've recently discovered there are several attorneys around the country who specialize in yacht purchase transactions. If/when we consider doing a new build I'd certainly talk to these folks to understand their cost and the value they bring.

Pea's story is indeed heart wrenching and provides us with a few lessons and some parallels with the story of Tesla's Model 3:

Both announced a radical new boat/car at an impossibly low price and proceeded to take deposits for it.

Both ran into design/production problems which delayed delivery of the first models.

Here is where the story departs:

Tesla sold and continues to sell the early models with lots of extra stuff increasing the price by 50%. The Tesla buyers had a choice to accept a car that cost 50% more than promised or to cancel the order and many canceled. But those that paid more are generally happy with what they got. It is doubtful that any Model 3s will ever be delivered for the original price.

GH delivered a flawed product to the early buyers and held them hostage for final payment and reneged on fixing the problems. The early buyers will have to fix those themselves or enter prolonged and expensive litigation. But they may end up with a boat that cost them less, all things considered, than the full cost of building it right.

So similar situations and each manufacturer followed different approaches when they (predictably) ran into trouble. Tesla's reputation is generally intact. GH's is generally in the gutter. Neither are honorable approaches.

David

Last edited:
The TT35 does not fit the OP's requirements by a long shot. The ACTUAL (not the marketing smoke on the website) specs are:

LOA 43 ft.
Beam 10'6"
Weight 10,600 lbs
Draft (outboards down) 24"

Have surveyors report and weight report that proves this. (A classic comment from one of our friends referred to the boat as the Great Hoax TT35.)

Cheers,
Pea

Pretty much the same size and weight as a SeaRay I used to tow. Of course the trailer that TT uses to haul this vessel around will have to be purchased too. A one ton pickup can handle it easily.

GH delivered a flawed product to the early buyers and held them hostage for final payment and reneged on fixing the problems. The early buyers will have to fix those themselves or enter prolonged and expensive litigation. But they may end up with a boat that cost them less, all things considered, than the full cost of building it right.

Haven't seen any mention of design changes to correct the flaws, so I have to assume current buyers are being stuck with the same issues.

It is ironic that GH still uses Pea's early comments about the design in their web pages. It is also sad they have been given ample opportunities to protect their reputation by fixing major flaws and so far have refused to do so. Happy customers will sell their boats. Unhappy customers will sink their business.

Perfect example of a custom builder with a proven track record. I've been on several of Sam's boats & actually met him at the WoodenBoat Show up in Mystic years ago. Really nice down to earth guy & the fit & finish of his boats is truly excellent. If I was considering having a boat designed & built Sam Devlin is the first person I would talk to. However, quality like this does not come cheap.

https://www.devlinboat.com/wordpress1/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom