View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
ben2go
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Boat build to boat buy. Seeking advice.

For those that don't know, I was planning to build a Great Loop cruiser. Unfortunately, my health has gotten to the point where I can't physically build a boat as large as 30 feet. I may build my dink though.

Anyway, I have been researching and looking at boats. My youngest son goes into the USAF when he graduates high school in 2021. I will also become single at that time. Long story for another thread.

This is what I am planning for and what I want. Keep in mind the Great Loop and I would like to do as much exploring in those smaller areas that are inaccessible to larger boats due to hull draft and/or air draft.

I will be alone or possibly one other person, probably one of my sons. I am used to living in very small spaces so moving aboard a boat shouldn't prove to much of a challenge.

Here is what I want....

Around 30 feet and beam under 9 feet or under, so tralierable. I'm looking at this to be a one time purchase with no future upgrades planned.

Low air draft. No flybridge/or removable FB-I want to keep it low.
Low hull draft. Under 24 inches would be great. Nothing over 36 inches loaded.
One birth, V or stateroom, full size or queen. I move around in my sleep.
Full head. I prefer a stand up shower over a wet head. Hard to find on smaller boats.
No V birth portapotties.
Small galley with lots of fresh food storage with dorm size fridge. No freezer needed but would be nice to have.
I'm not a TV man but would like a nice area to relax inside while using the computer.
AC marine no RV rooftop units. Those things can get loud inside and out.

I prefer single diesel over gasoline and straight inboard or sterndrive. Not a fan of V drives unless they are set up with ease of maintenance in mind. No twins. Doubles maintenance.
Cruise range at hull speed no less than 300 miles and prefer 500-mile range.

Autopilot is a plus but I have no problems kicking back and steering the ship.
I'm a fair weather boater so radar isn't necessary but is always a nice addition.
VHF with AIS is nice but I can install and tune myself.

Must have accurate and up to date sonar. I wanna see whats down there. Not a fisherman so no need to locate those monsters of the deep.
Bow thruster would be nice but not necessary.
Anchor windlass is a must. Nice if it's operable from the helm or by remote.
I don't need a large back deck/cockpit. If a couple deck chairs will fit, that'd be perfect.

Big sliding pilot house windows. Being able to lock through while at the helm would be nice.
Small generator that runs on the same fuel as the main engine.
Inverter for running the occasional small appliance such as a toaster oven. Surprisingly, mine runs fine on a square wave and doesn't kill batteries fast. It's an Oster 1500 watt countertop convection oven. I've never run it more than 20 minutes in one day while on an inverter. It was in a friends travel trailer.
A small propane stove would be fine. With oven would mean I could leave the toaster oven behind.

The boat I consider to be near perfect is the Scout 30. I don't need to go fast. I like raised deck cruisers from the 30's but woodies are out. I'm not into the swoopy modern planning boats, think Bayliner and Sea Ray. I like a more classic styled boat like older KK, Tolly, Albin. Maybe that should be more of a commercial styled boat?

I'm 5'8" and need standing height. Ducking in and out of a v birth for bed won't be too bad but having to stay hunched over will cause me great pain.

I'm growing out of things, so things will not be added to the boat. Things are that which isn't useful to living or operating a boat.

I'm sure there is more but that is all that comes to me at this time.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote