View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #18
refugio
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Sailor View Post
I intend to remove our diesel heater and install a Heat Pump unit in it's place. I hope to re use the present duct work @ 3" with maybe some mods. at the A.C. discharge.
I think everyone has done well to point out that 3" ducts - particularly with long runs - will not work. And pointed out you're going to need two thru-hulls for the pump (and a strainer, and power to the pump) - make that EACH pump since everyone is also saying that a single self-contained unit will not be sufficient.

But removing that diesel furnace has additional issues. You'll have to cap off diesel supply (and possibly return, maybe just goes to a bottle). And you will have to significantly upgrade the wiring. And then you're left with unused combustion air input and exhaust. And, while this will indeed warm the boat I'm pretty sure you're going to run into a water temperature issue in the winter and heating won't work at all. I suspect you're going to want that furnace after all.

And the ducting is truly different for heating versus cooling - hot air rises and cool air sinks. And all of that grillwork you see for A/C on boats is balanced by equivalent fresh air intake - almost certainly this was not planned for in the existing furnace install.

I suggest you start with sunscreens for the windows and possibly awnings to keep the sun load off of the boat. And put a self-contained unit in the aft cabin. And leave the furnace in operation.