Handrail stanchions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HagbardCeline

Vessel Name
R&RII
Vessel Make
Albin 43 Trawler
Hello all,

Just trying to trace a leak coming in from somewhere on the flying bridge deck. I am trying to rule out possible sources.

The question I have is about the handrail stanchions. Are they screwed into the cap planks, or are they bolt through? If they are bolt through, how do you get to the nuts if you need to remove them in order to rebed them?

In my experience, handrails are through bolted. Unfortunately, in some cases the interior bolt is very difficult (if not impossible) to access.

Some are screw and some are through bolted. It can be a huge challenge to get to the nuts if they are through bolted.

Not sure how the Albins were done so hopefully the interweb will help you find a fellow traveler. It is somewhat common the for stanchions, builders embed a tapped metal plate in the fiberglass and the stanchion uses a machine screw, no nut underneath. Others through bolt, others use thicker glass along there, others who-knows-what. You could try removing one and see what you get. Or removing some of the headliner in the salon below and having a look-see.

On my 1987 40' they are screwed to the deck.

On my 83 they are screwed into the wood toe rail.
edit:
Yes as Mike said below the upper ones are screwed to the fiberglass and in some places to the teak decking.

Last edited:
Yes, screwed to the wood on the main deck and to the fiberglass on the bridge.

So, to confirm, the stanchions are screwed to the cap rail on both the bridge fairing and the gunwales on the main deck.

Mine are screwed everywhere, yes. No through bolts, no inserts. Just wood screws

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom