Hurricane Gordon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How's that work, swamp? Looks like everyone tied bow first to the bank. I don't see any sign of stern anchors, etc. Rely on plenty of fenders and let the sterns move as they will?

Genuine curiousity here - not a critique. I know the guys over there have been doing this for decades with success, apparently.
During big storms about every 3rd boat has someone staying on it, as the tidal surge comes in they go to their neighboring boats and let the bow lines out. All the boats rise together. During Katrina there must have been close to 100 boats in Hurricane Hole, the tidal surge was incredible somewhere between 25 to 30 ft. Only the tops of the pine trees were showing. As the surge recedes they tighten the lines. If a boat breaks loose and is just free floating around someone will take a shot gun slug to it below the water line and sink it so it doesn't sink other boats. Happened during Katrina. Our 40' survived up there with no damage.

"I’m surprised they closed the harbors for a ts but you never know"

That's the only thing that keeps me out of there this time of year. The MS marinas seem hell bent on kicking boats out at the first sign of a ripple. Additionally, Biloxi instituted a citywide 7:00 pm to sunrise curfew last night.

Everything over here (NOLA) shut down for yesterday and today. Let me be more clear - all of government took two days off. Everybody else went to work. I understand not taking any significant stom for granted, but the pendulum sure seems to have swung to borderline ridiculous.

One would think the govt would keep the necessary govt personnel 'onboard', ready to direct the recovery process.
So much a real Plan A.

Last edited:
Do marinas in Pensacola and other FL panhandle areas also make you move in a storm? That seems like a huge PITA for a non-local.

OldDan - I was actually referring to the "non-essential" 90% government tail. The doers (first response) organizations were remarkably measured - alert status up, but no substantive moves, evaluating the situation as it matured. It was the city halls, schools, govt offices that way over reacted.

Do marinas in Pensacola and other FL panhandle areas also make you move in a storm? That seems like a huge PITA for a non-local.

Wifey B: Huge PITA for anyone. Build better marinas. Good floating docks with tall pilings. Well secured docks and boats. I hate to think of the number of people put at risk to move some of the boats. :ermm:

Some marinas in Pensacola evacuate, some don't. Depends on where they are located. For example, Palifox and Santa Rosa require evacuation for any named storm. Some (most?) of the marina's on Bayou Chico do not require evac.

"I’m surprised they closed the harbors for a ts but you never know"

That's the only thing that keeps me out of there this time of year. The MS marinas seem hell bent on kicking boats out at the first sign of a ripple. Additionally, Biloxi instituted a citywide 7:00 pm to sunrise curfew last night.

Everything over here (NOLA) shut down for yesterday and today. Let me be more clear - all of government took two days off. Everybody else went to work. I understand not taking any significant stom for granted, but the pendulum sure seems to have swung to borderline ridiculous.

We live on the Mississippi gulf coast. A lot of folks here still expect every storm to be the next Katrina (and, of course, a lot of the the government; state, local and federal, are still pretty embarrassed about a lot of what they did before and after Katrina). No one wants to be accused of under-reacting. It will be a while longer before that notion changes, I suspect.

But, now, with every storm treated as an apocalypse (that doesn't actually happen), you have more and more people who discount the warnings completely, setting things up for a real mess when the next big one actually does show up.

Last edited:
It was not the boats that caused the trouble. It was the unused buses to take people inland before the storm. Had to commercial driver's license. Sometimes the the rules should be ignore in the interest of getting people out of town.

But, now, with every storm treated as an apocalypse that doesn't actually happen, you have more and more people who discount the warnings completely, setting things up for a real mess when the next big one actually does show up.

Wifey B: I call that the "Chicken Little Effect." The sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling. Then when you try to warn people, they don't listen. :ermm:

Wifey B: Huge PITA for anyone. Build better marinas. Good floating docks with tall pilings. Well secured docks and boats. I hate to think of the number of people put at risk to move some of the boats. :ermm:

This has to be true. Moving a large number of boats to "wherever" has to be more dangerous than having properly built marinas in the first place. Of course it DOES remove the marina from needing to have good docks. "Oh, named storm, you have to leave." (Because our docks aren't good enough) of course eventually the marinas that do have well designed and built docks will attract more customers willing to pay more for better security.

Ken

There
This has to be true. Moving a large number of boats to "wherever" has to be more dangerous than having properly built marinas in the first place. Of course it DOES remove the marina from needing to have good docks. "Oh, named storm, you have to leave." (Because our docks aren't good enough) of course eventually the marinas that do have well designed and built docks will attract more customers willing to pay more for better security.

Ken

I do agree for the most part. However, the main marinas along the MS coast are protected to some degree from wind. However, its the surge that's the problem. Being right on the coast itself with little protection from the barrier islands any small hurricane will destroy boats left in these marinas. There is really nothing to stop a 4ft plus surge (Katrina was around 25ft!) from entering them. Highways, marina parking lots and docks go under at around 4ft. Best to remove your boat.

Sorry, don't read this if you are feeling thin-skinned:

You can't build your way out of this one. There will always be mandatory evacuations during hurricanes.

This is another one of those growing number of areas where if you give everyone, everything that they think they want - a great many of them will self-destruct.

As long as we have insurance companies telling us what we can and can't do and how we have to do it, people don't have to think.

As a general rule I will always run from a hurricane. Not because of the hurricane but because of the embedded tornadoes.

Here's a good little read on the subject. Not saying it has all of the answers but I enjoyed it.

http://www.web4homes.com/c380/Hurricane%20Mooring.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom