From Sailboat to Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAllen

Vessel Name
Lodestar
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50 Raised Pilot House
Hi there! My hubbie and I are currently doing the sailboat thing but find we are motoring as much as sailing. We love the space and looks of the older trawlers and looking for one to buy in the 46-50’ range. Love the vintage 1980s boats best. Also must be a raised Pilothouse with the saloon and galley on the same level as the deck. Really like to see a Sea Ranger 47 if there is one on the east coast of the US. We are really just in the beginnings of our search so open to other makes of this style and any help would be greatly appreciated! We are currently in Jacksonville, FL for the hurricane season.

Welcome aboard. You will love all the room in a trawler as opposed to your sailboat. Have fun looking.

Hi there! My hubbie and I are currently doing the sailboat thing but find we are motoring as much as sailing. We love the space and looks of the older trawlers and looking for one to buy in the 46-50’ range. Love the vintage 1980s boats best. Also must be a raised Pilothouse with the saloon and galley on the same level as the deck. Really like to see a Sea Ranger 47 if there is one on the east coast of the US. We are really just in the beginnings of our search so open to other makes of this style and any help would be greatly appreciated! We are currently in Jacksonville, FL for the hurricane season.

Wifey B: I'm curious. Are you in Jacksonville looking for a hurricane or looking to avoid one? Just odd place to be "for the hurricane season." :confused:

You're in the same boat as so many "sailors". Finding they use the sails less and less and it seems more and more like work. Search slowly and patiently and don't get hung up on brand or model, but on your requirements and features you need. :)

Look at a lot of boats and decide what features you want. Powerboats offer many different advantages over sail boat designs. IMO dont buy a powerboat that looks like a sailboat.

Funny! Definitely NOT looking for a hurricane! We are up the Ortega River in a protected spot and enjoying family nearby.

Funny! Definitely NOT looking for a hurricane! We are up the Ortega River in a protected spot and enjoying family nearby.

Wifey B: Had to ask since Irma wasn't kind to the streets of Jacksonville. I knew what you were looking for. :)

I would recomend you take a close look at a Kadey-Krogen 48

I agree, trawlers are the way to go.

I did the same move & have never regretted it even once.

I would recommend you take a good close look at a Kadey-Krogen 48.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Welcome. My wife and I did the same a little over two years ago. It was a great decision for us.

Welcome -

My wife and I are still racing sailboats, but bought a trawler - I will continue to race as long as I am physically able, but plan time on our boat in the "off" season. We plan on doing the loop in a few years. Our Manatee needs some work, but hopfully she will be in shape in a a couple of years to do the full loop!

As you look for boats - (We had some of the same requirements you do - Galley and Salon on the same level - raised pilot house, etc.) we also wanted something we could handle with just the two of us and be economical to run, which is how we ended up with a Katey Krogen Manatee. I have raced and handled many larger 40-66 foot sail boats. Trawlers handle differently. We are happy with our 36 feet and glad we did not go with our original idea of a 42-46 foot boat.

Paul

Paul, the Manatee is a great boat. However, I have no doubts that you and your wife could easily handle a 40-50’ boat with just the two of you. I can handle my NP43 by myself unless the weather is really bad.

A Defever 49 RPH, Plan B, is likely a perfect fit for you.

I think the DeFever 49 might be fairly close to being on track. We were on one recently but it seemed so BIG at the bow. I guess that’s something we’d get used to... We are on a 44’ Gulfstar sloop right now and living aboard. Love living on the water but need a bit more space if we are going to do this long term and I would really like to see outside when down below. (I’m a bit on the short side). There is a Ocean Alexander 50 raised pilot house in VA listed on yachtworld I think we will take a look at.

Back
Top Bottom