Hurricane Gordon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turner

Greetings from Biloxi, Ms. You are all invited to our hurricane party beginning at 6:00 pm Central time, if you can't make it party where you are and give a toast to Gordan! Our boats are secured and we are just waiting on the wind, rain and storm surge. Cheers! 20180904_103314.jpg20180903_182524.jpg20180904_083038.jpg

Keep safe.

Is this the official Gordon thread? I’m in hurricane hole drinking beer and waiting the long wait

I'd wander over but im working. The ship I'm on is tied up in Gulfport.

Good luck to you

We are hunkered down in West Mobile, near 200 feet elevation, and it has been very mild so far. Mostly hoping they won't cut the power and kill the air conditioning.

Wifey B: Just made it back to our boat in NYC and turned tv on. Watching and thinking of all you guys there. Hopefully the impact is rather mild, but still know many will be affected adversely. :(

Best of luck to all you folks in the Biloxi area... I helped out after Katrina and it was heartbreaking to see all the beautiful broken and grounded vessels... Be safe and let us know if you need help...

I went to sleep. It went around us. Looks like Baldwin County, along the Florida line, took the worst of it. I'm hopeful that we all got lucky and all the cows are still in the fences.

Glad to report Gordon fizzled like a wet fire cracker! Here in Biloxi very little effects were felt, wind and some rain but that's it.

Spent the night at a Dog River marina, a few hundred feet west off Mobile Bay. 30+ knot’s of NE-SE wind and water level is ~2’ above normal tide, just over access road. No apparent damage to boats or marina.

I saw that Biloxi ordered a mandatory evacuation from marinas on Monday. Seems extreme for a TS. I assume they anchor or tie up in the bayous north of Biloxi. Any info on how they faired?

All is well, I’m tied up with about 40 boats and it was super quite here, further east not so much

All of the MS marinas order evac for storms. The definition of storm seems pretty vague in a couple I've talked to. I know Gulfport fines you $1k/day if you don't leave.

The people over there I've talked to usually have groups that have been around for years and river locations scoped out. The group rafts up.

If you're a new guy, there may be a challenge finding a decent spot during these evacs.

Thankfully it was a non event over here, we were well over on the "good side". On Monday when the track was iffy I checked on GUMBO in her slip in Houma then went down to the fishing camp in Cocodrie and brought the Whaler Montauk home.
You can never be sure with just what these storms are going to do.
I hope every one else was fine!
Steve W

On to Florence now and some rough seas off the East Coast. Looks like some 50' seas in the eye by Wednesday and still 25' along the NC and SC coasts. Right now some forecasts have 60 knot winds or so hitting the coasts. The forecasts are basically very uncertain now as to both force and direction. So it may stay off shore, or may approach NC/SC or may hit further north. We're thinking we may just hide out for a week or ten days on the Chesapeake. Our plans were to head on to Morehead City and then to Bermuda around the 13th, but those plans are pretty much shredded now.

A lot of folks down here (northern Gulf coast) are breathing a sigh of relief this morning. They seem to forget that, historically, the peak of Atlantic hurricane activity is September 10. We're just coming up on the middle of the bell curve. Start relaxing in late October.

A lot of folks down here (northern Gulf coast) are breathing a sigh of relief this morning. They seem to forget that, historically, the peak of Atlantic hurricane activity is September 10. We're just coming up on the middle of the bell curve. Start relaxing in late October.

Wifey B: If I was home, safe in South Florida I'd be relieved. Oh well, just slowing down and pulling inside tomorrow and taking it easy for the next ten days or so. Hoping she goes out to sea and not in to the coast. :)

Pictures
IMG_0322.jpgIMG_0317.jpgIMG_0319.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

The hole next to the cedar lake bridge

How's that work, swamp? Looks like everyone tied bow first to the bank. I don't see any sign of stern anchors, etc. Rely on plenty of fenders and let the sterns move as they will?

Genuine curiousity here - not a critique. I know the guys over there have been doing this for decades with success, apparently.

The hole next to the cedar lake bridge

I bet there was an all night party going on between the boats! Glad everyone was safe! Did you make any money selling ice from your onboard giant icemaker? I would want to be real close to you during a storm!!!!

After a storm down here ice becomes more valuable than fuel!

How's that work, swamp? Looks like everyone tied bow first to the bank. I don't see any sign of stern anchors, etc. Rely on plenty of fenders and let the sterns move as they will?

Genuine curiousity here - not a critique. I know the guys over there have been doing this for decades with success, apparently.

I am not certain what their plan was but I have 600’ of 1 1/4” line that I would have stretched out from the stern and hooked a tree. Cat 2 or above there is a lot of lines out, I’m surprised they closed the harbors for a ts but you never know

I bet there was an all night party going on between the boats! Glad everyone was safe! Did you make any money selling ice from your onboard giant icemaker? I would want to be real close to you during a storm!!!!

After a storm down here ice becomes more valuable than fuel!

We did! Had lots of ice and cooked steaks. Met new friends and hung out with old friends. To much beer and fireball, glad the storm turned because I would have been worthless.

We did! Had lots of ice and cooked steaks. Met new friends and hung out with old friends. To much beer and fireball, glad the storm turned because I would have been worthless.

Glad you made the best of it!

"I’m surprised they closed the harbors for a ts but you never know"

That's the only thing that keeps me out of there this time of year. The MS marinas seem hell bent on kicking boats out at the first sign of a ripple. Additionally, Biloxi instituted a citywide 7:00 pm to sunrise curfew last night.

Everything over here (NOLA) shut down for yesterday and today. Let me be more clear - all of government took two days off. Everybody else went to work. I understand not taking any significant stom for granted, but the pendulum sure seems to have swung to borderline ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom