searching for a winter slip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
My Marine Trader 38 and I are starting to think about where to spend the winter. We are currently in Norfolk, VA. This winter I would like to work on some outside painting and varnishing projects, and spend a week or two on the hard doing bottom paint and zincs. I'll be a live-a-board during this period with no car, so ideally I would like easy access to places like a grocery store, a marine supply store, and a large home improvement store. Would Thunderbolt Marina in Savannah work out okay for me, or are there better options?

Live aboard, but doing it on the hard is a huge horrible life style

Your boat was made to drain , dishes , shower, head all normal tasks have to be done down the ladder.

Heat sometimes becomes difficult .

Take a couple of weeks in the spring or fall and do the land maint in a short hard working time.

Lived aboard for almost 23 years ,every day on land was horrible.

Live aboard, but doing it on the hard is a huge horrible life style

I totally agree. I have lived aboard on the hard for several weeks during past haul-outs. The sinks in the galley and head make a mess on the ground, you can't use your own bathroom/shower, and getting on and off the boat via a ladder is a drag. I'll do it for a few weeks, but not long term if I can possibly avoid it.

Thunderbolt Marine is a great place and the best yard we ever used. Check with them in advance about current policies on DIY and living on board when on the hill. They used to accommodate it, but when we were there for an extended time 10 years ago, we chose to get a motel while the boat was out of the water. We used Savannah Car Rentals, a great locally owned business that will pick you up at Thunderbolt. There is an excellent chandlery (River Supply) and good restaurants in walking distance of TM.

http://www.savannahcarrentals.com

Back
Top Bottom