I knew about the oil placard...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but this book has to be on board if your longer than 39 feet?

441931-boo-navigation-rules-handbook-ppm-tif

While everyone must follow the Rules of the Road, vessels equal to, or longer than, 12 meters (39.4 ft) are required to carry a copy of the Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook onboard.
Most importantly, that copy must be "complete", that is, include the most recent updates.

This book is an exact reprint of International and Inland Navigation Rules text. It includes the most current information available on the regulations in effect. Includes color illustrations where needed.

As of this writing, the current edition is the August 2014 edition (LNM 46-14/NTM 48-14; Nov. 22nd 2014).
This identification information is located on the front cover, as well as on the first page.

2014, PB, 202 pages.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/nau...-international-and-inland-2014-edition-par076

Along with a garbage placard and written garbage plan if you meet those requirements also (galley, living quarters, etc)

You can download a copy into your phone or tablet.

Well I guess the downloads are ok if the aim is just to meet the requirements.
But wouldn't a hard copy be easier for you and your crew to read and refer to, to actually be aware of the rules?

I always carry one and had it right at the helm for easy access and reference. Amazing how many boaters have never read it, let alone studied it. Same folks who don't read the LNMs for the most part... what I call the "Ignorance is Bliss..... Until" crowd.

The one time I was stopped by the CG they never asked for the book or the trash plan but I have both.
I admit I have never read the book other than a very quick glance when I first got it.

Relevance?

I believe Rule 7 states something along the lines that if you have radar then you must use it. Am confused as to whether that means 24/7 no matter what or if you have an incident and weren't using it then you are dinged. Maybe that's a myth?

This is assuming your "relevance" comment was referring to the radar... if not then ignore me. Most learn to do that after a while. :)

Last edited:
The relevance of AlaskaProf's post for me is I cant recall ever reading about the book needing to be on board or that it even existed. Ive read about the oil and the trash decals plenty of times in various "things you need as a boater", but none ever mentioned needing to have the book on board.

Im kind of surprised at how many so far mentioned having it and it makes me somewhat curious as to how everyone learned of the requirement. was the knowledge passed down from old salt to new? or dna? :D

I believe Rule 7 states something along the lines that if you have radar then you must use it. Am confused as to whether that means 24/7 no matter what or if you have an incident and weren't using it then you are dinged.

This is assuming your "relevance" comment was referring to the radar... if not then ignore me. Most learn to do that after a while. :)

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/radar-wwii-40281.html

See here for current discussion on radar mandatory-hood-ness... or not.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, didn't want to type or padte all of it again....

But no, madatory use of Radar is another "dock talk" myth....masters discretion after considering "prevai,ing conditions".

No, the Rules book. It is mandatory regardless of wether or not the CG asked for it on inspection.

The relevance of AlaskaProf's post for me is I cant recall ever reading about the book needing to be on board or that it even existed. Ive read about the oil and the trash decals plenty of times in various "things you need as a boater", but none ever mentioned needing to have the book on board.

Im kind of surprised at how many so far mentioned having it and it makes me somewhat curious as to how everyone learned of the requirement. was the knowledge passed down from old salt to new? or dna? :D
First time I heard it was when I went through captains licensing...but then again I never owned a boat over 37 feet till then.

Then the real learning about it and the garbage plan came when working for Marine Max. They were a big Sea Ray dealership and proclaimed to have "sail away" equipment on board.

As the primary delivery captain, I looked into their "sketchy" equipment list and also discovered the "written garbage plan".

So yes, these requirements are not common knowledge in the boating world, and it mat take a long time sifting through on line forums to come across them depending on which threads one focuses on.

How did you know about needing flares, PFDs, throwable etc.?

Seems a lot of debate about nothing. We keep all ships papers, rule books etc in a slim case that we show to boarding officer. they see everything in one place and thats the end of it. Yes I have heard that a digital copy of the rules on a computer would satisfy but I like everything in one place.

They have to wander all over the to do the inspection, and placards have to be in reasonable mounting places, so there is still reason to have something like the Navrules out and handy whe the boat is being operated from.

Like they prefer PFDs out and handy over even the acceptable "accessible" rule.

So sure, a little debate can be enlightening to some. As we read, some didn't know of the requirement at all.

This one of those scary threads that reminds me how important it is to assume boaters around me don't have, to various degrees, and in this case literally, a clue.

I learned about the rule right here on TF discussions years ago and carry one on my 34. It never dawned on me not to carry it b/c my boat is only 34 ft. It sits at the helm ready to use. I probably refer to it 3-4 times per year.

It seems to me that the rules of navigation found in this book apply uniformly across all boats, regardless of length. I would consider myself foolish to go out without a copy of the rules onboard. They come in handy to refresh one's memory or look up a light pattern, nav signal or obscure rule.

We talked about this a few months ago in this thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boarded-coast-guard-37964.html starting around post #263.

The conclusion was that electronic copies are not (at least as of 2016) acceptable.

For some documents, yes. For the Colregs, no. It must be a ready reference. But don't take MY word for it.... From the NAVCEN FAQ list:
Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular No. 01-16 announced the following electronic publications are acceptable:
  • U.S. Coast Pilot,
  • Sailing Directions,
  • Coast Guard Light List,
  • List of Lights,
  • tide-current and river-current tables,
  • Notice to Mariners,
  • Local Notice to Mariners,
  • Notices to Navigation, and
  • Vessel Traffic Services Rules.
Paper copies of certain publications are still required, including those not specifically listed in NVIC 01-16. Some examples are:

• Inland Rules (domestic regulation),
  • International Code of Signals and Volume (SOLAS requirement), and
  • Volume III of the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual (SOLAS requirement)
These publications are required in hard-copy because meeting the access and "ready reference" requirements may be challenging for many electronic devices.
Simple answers aren't in style when it comes to bureaucratic requirements!

Keep a copy at each helm (found one on the boat after we bought it and I already had one so kept both). They sit on the dash which is a good place for them to live. Side effect of this is the interest of our non-boating friends who invariably ask "Whats this?" and begin reading it which then leads to some discussions and more times than not amazement on their part of things they never knew or realized about boating. It's not just a free for all out there. Another benefit is my grand kids who love to play "Let's Test Grandad" when they tire of begging to use the dinghy. I get a lot of them right. Some... not so much. We all aspire to greatness.

Seems a lot of debate about nothing. We keep all ships papers, rule books etc in a slim case that we show to boarding officer. they see everything in one place and thats the end of it. Yes I have heard that a digital copy of the rules on a computer would satisfy but I like everything in one place.

Wifey B: We keep everything in one place. Digitally. :)

Wifey B: We keep everything in one place. Digitally. :)

Wifey B: We do have a paper copy on board, print one periodically, but never use paper. Paper appears to still be required but seems like a rather "soft" requirement. :)

keeping PFDs readily accessible and obvious from the steering station is, to me, just obvious safe practice. Same with extinguishers.
Safety stuff does no good if people cant find it in an instant.

I've always had a copy on board. I've always known about all relevant requirements, even decades before the interwebs was born. I mean, it's all spelled out in the little brochure that you can pick up at any marina or sporting goods store....

https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF

It's not just a free for all out there.

As this thread proves, and the real world continually affirms, in practice it actually IS a free for all out there.

As far as I can work out, having a copy on board is only a requirement for American boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom