Just got this email-SVRS closing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I’ve only used SRVS one time coming back from the Bahamas. Checked in on the phone when I got close to the coast. It was pretty slick!

Not sure about ROAM.

You are receiving this email due to your membership in U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS)*

SVRS WILL NO LONGER BE IN SERVICE STARTING SEPTEMBER 5, 2018

Hello SVRS member,

Effective September 5, 2018, the Small Vessel Reporting System will no longer be in service and float plans will no longer be accepted. Instead, pleasure boaters are encouraged to use the CBP Reporting Offsite Arrival – Mobile (ROAM) application when boating into the U.S. from a foreign port or place. Existing SVRS numbers will continue to remain valid and may be entered in the CBP ROAM app for expedited processing. Boaters may also continue to report their arrival via designated telephone reporting numbers or report to a port of entry, if desired.

The CBP ROAM app is a convenient and efficient way to report your U.S. entry from a smart device. Travelers can use the CBP ROAM app to input their biographic and trip information, followed by a video interview with a CBP Officer, to meet reporting requirements. While all travelers may use the CBP ROAM app, there may be circumstances in which a boater must still report in person to CBP, including, but not limited to, if an I-94 or other document is required, if customs duties must be paid, or in other relevant circumstances. Please refer below for additional detail and information:

Where can I download the CBP ROAM app?
Download CBP ROAM on your Android or Apple device! Detailed instructions on how to install and use the app on a personal device are attached for your reference. In certain locations, travelers can use a CBP tablet located at a partner organization to access the CBP ROAM app.

Where can the CBP ROAM app be used?
The CBP ROAM app can be used to report U.S. entry by boat in the Great Lakes, most of the Eastern Seaboard (from Delaware to Florida), U.S. territories in the Caribbean, Texas, and San Diego, California. Additional locations are being added, and travelers should contact their local port of entry to confirm whether arrival submissions via the CBP ROAM app are accepted.

How do I use the CBP ROAM app to report my U.S. entry?
After downloading the CBP ROAM app and creating an account on login.gov, enter your traveler, mode of travel, and trip details for your U.S. entry. After submitting the trip, a CBP Officer will review your submission and may initiate a video interview if necessary. Following the video interview, you will receive a notification and an email with your clearance status and/or next steps. For expedited processing, individuals without a Trusted Traveler number may also apply to enroll as a “Verified Traveler” through the CBP ROAM app; approved travelers will receive a Verified Traveler number that can be used for future trips.

Ok. Cool. Thanks.

I’ve only used SRVS one time coming back from the Bahamas. Checked in on the phone when I got close to the coast. It was pretty slick!

Not sure about ROAM.

Yes, I understand that the decision to shut the service down came right after you checked in last time. :popcorn:

Thanks for the information. I just downloaded the app and will try it out in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the information. I just downloaded the app and will try it out in the next couple weeks.

Well, you can't "try it out." The only time you will use it is when reentering the US. So if you have a trip to CA coming up then you can try it.

It is worthwhile going into the App though and setting upyour info and your vessel's info.

One thing not made clear in the above email is whether or not you still need a SVRS number. We did need our SRVS numbers when coming in last April, but we already had them so it was all OK. Things may have changed so that you do not need a SVRS number or a trusted traveler number, but it could very well be that you still need to have one - so check!

Last edited:
Well, you can't "try it out." The only time you will use it is when reentering the US. So if you have a trip to CA coming up then you can try it.

It is worthwhile going into the App though and setting upyour info and your vessel's info.

One thing not made clear in the above email is whether or not you still need a SVRS number. We did need our SRVS numbers when coming in last April, but we already had them so it was all OK. Things may have changed so that you do not need a SVRS number or a trusted traveler number, but it could very well be that you still need to have one - so check!

Well, since I am heading to CA this next week and coming back the week after, that will give the chance to try it out.

I entered the boat and my traveler information. However, when I tried to add a second traveler for my wife, the app locked up. WA is also not in a region where the verified traveler pilot program works apparently. It looks like the app is still a bit buggy. My guess is that I’ll be stopping in either Roche or Friday Harbor to check into the US the old fashioned way after having the app fail.

Neither the Customs office in NH where we got out SVRS number, nor the CBP office in ME where we cleared back in from Canada, had any clue about what the SVRS system was, and both told us they really didn't use it. So, at least up here, it won't be missed.

Maybe having the number will help when using the app next time, though.

SVRS was great in South Florida and in other areas you might as well have tried any four letters as you would have gotten the same response. Just like Nexus being useful in areas but not elsewhere. They keep searching for solutions and they'll have one if they ever implement something nationwide. Hopefully, ROAM takes them in that direction. It's a great application.

As to SVRS numbers and trusted travelers and verified, that all seems to be evolving slowly. SVRS number does still help in places where it was widely used. It seems simple to develop a system to list the boat, list all passengers and passport information and note which of those persons has been interviewed or verified. Then a computer or agent determines if face to face reporting is required.

Menzies blog shows how simple ROAM can be. Well, if you pay attention to your phone and see the return message.

Worked like a dream.....

All four onboard had SVRS numbers which you do enter into the app. We cleared in using the app is less than one minute. During the process I did get a message to "stand by for video chat" but, then the "you are cleared" message popped up. All Good...… Less than one minute to clear us in..... Great thing about this process is "no prior reporting or filing to do".... Anytime prior to arrival you enter the vessel and crew info into the app then hit the notice of arrival button with your present location once you hit the dock. That's it! We were cleared in at the FPR fuel dock before they got the fuel hose pulled out.

DHays, if you don’t have NEXUS, you can get an I-68 fairly easily. Allows you to re-enter US with just a call. Not any help North-bound.

I downloaded the app and was able to setup my boat and myself. However it wouldnt let me add my wife.

DHays, if you don’t have NEXUS, you can get an I-68 fairly easily. Allows you to re-enter US with just a call. Not any help North-bound.
Well I'm already away from home. My wife would like to visit Rche again anyway, we haven't been there in a number of years.

All four onboard had SVRS numbers which you do enter into the app. We cleared in using the app is less than one minute. During the process I did get a message to "stand by for video chat" but, then the "you are cleared" message popped up. All Good...… Less than one minute to clear us in..... Great thing about this process is "no prior reporting or filing to do".... Anytime prior to arrival you enter the vessel and crew info into the app then hit the notice of arrival button with your present location once you hit the dock. That's it! We were cleared in at the FPR fuel dock before they got the fuel hose pulled out.

Everyone who normally travels with us has SVRS numbers. We went to Bimini and back yesterday and enjoyed the same one minute or so you did. Previous times we've used it have been smooth but had a little delay. Once in waiting for video chat and then they couldn't get things to work right on their end and said "you're cleared" and the other time a delay between "stand by for video chat" and "you are cleared" of about ten minutes. I think both times they were busy walking a lot of people through the process.

Back
Top Bottom