Labeling the inflatable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello all,

I just retubed (not sure if this is a word) my inflatable. I now need to add the registration numbers and the sticker to the tubes. I do not have anywhere to attach a "plastic plate" to the tubes so I am left with affixing the numbers and stickers directly to the tubes.

Here is my question:
Can I use the black stick on numbers from West Marine or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

I think you’d have better luck painting them on. Maybe get a stencil made so it looks nice. MDR makes a paint that will work. Krylon makes a spray paint for plastic that will probably work, but I haven’t tried it.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=13815

I tried putting self adhesive numbers on an inflatable once. They didn’t last long. I deflated mine often. They may have lasted longer on a boat that’s left inflated.
Your mileage may vary.

I just put mine on a plate and flopped it over the side when motoring about. Probably not Totally legal, but never had an issue...

pvc or hypalon?

I tried boards once, but they didn't agree with usage of the boat. Too many humans catching dive gear on the boards, going in/out. My avon numbers were painted, after 20 years faded out; but now has the hypalon letters basically superglued onto the tubes. Over 20 years, I have had to reglue some corners back on. OVerall, I'd say paint 'em on, as long as you haven't put any silicone on the tubes. Avon was made in 1976.:thumb:

I used the stencils and paint by MDR and it worked pretty well. After 5 years still in pretty good shape. I can recommend it.

Ken

Wifey B: We don't deflate and have hypalon, so stick on's do pretty well and we keep extras on hand to replace any we lose. :)

I use lexan panels to display my registration numbers and sticker. I've done this for over 10 years and have never had an issue with it.

Recently, my marina was inspected for vessel documentation and property tax requirements. Many vessels were cited for not having the numbers and current registration properly displayed. Many added similar lexan panels to their dock queen's rails to satisfy the display requirement.

Attachments

• dink lift.jpg
    dink lift.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 147
Do not be afraid to use vinyl numbers directly on the tubes. I always thought that the changing pressure of the tubes would wreak havoc with the vinyl numbers. They do not. I have never lost a number or letter since doing it this way for over 15 years(2 different dinghies). Now I am talking about the ones that you put on with soapy water....not just regular adhesive.

Big, fat, Sharpie :lol: That's how it was when I got it, so I traced over them to touch them up...I guess I'll wait for the ticket if it comes :angel:

Big, fat, Sharpie :lol: That's how it was when I got it, so I traced over them to touch them up...I guess I'll wait for the ticket if it comes :angel:

I used to use that method....it is quite faded within 6 months and unreadable within a year. That is with leaving the boat in the weather. If the boat is not left in the weather I would imagine it would last longer.

Do not be afraid to use vinyl numbers directly on the tubes. I always thought that the changing pressure of the tubes would wreak havoc with the vinyl numbers. They do not. I have never lost a number or letter since doing it this way for over 15 years(2 different dinghies). Now I am talking about the ones that you put on with soapy water....not just regular adhesive.

Wifey B: Those are the ones we use. I think we may have lost one letter on all our RIB's combined over 6 years and think that was from someone messing with it at a dinghy dock. :)

I would think black spray paint would fade just like a sharpie....unless of course the dinghy is not kept out in the weather.

I've used these on my last three inflatables.

https://www.boatnumberplate.com/inc/sdetail/4110/4082

My only complaint is that if your dinghy is regularly tied up with a batch of other boats, as ours is, so that there's a lot of rubbing on the number plates from other boats , the numbers do wear off after a couple of years.

I used exterior grade sign vinyl. It is much thinner than the vinyl in the numbers West Marine and hardware stores sell. My numbers have been on the dinghy 10 years and I haven't lost one. Just go to a sign shop and ask them to cut them for you. I made mine myself since I have a vinyl cutter.

Inflatable Experts in Annapolis stocks neoprene stick on numbers. They last a LONG time, no comparison to the stick-on vinyl that will end up coming off. Sorry, but the sharpie numbers or the sprayed stencils look awful.

Defender has a registration sticker holder that you can affix to the dingy, it makes it easy to replace the sticker at renewal time. The holder has a raised frame that helps prevent the sticker from catching on stuff and getting ripped off. They also have a complete number frame available.

Having a manually-powered dinghy, I don't need to register or display numbers.

:dance:

I ordered regular Boat US boat name vinyl....on sale as it is now, its almost as inexpensive as the decent individual numbers.

Just slice the template to fit the curve.

Looks perfect after 3 years, no lifts, peels or bubbles....

The dingy remains rigidly inflated all year uncovered as it is used a lot.

I think the trick is to order the skinniest font available so if there is stress in the two materials, the vinyl numbers stretch and contract easily.

Attachments

• 20180902_064540.jpg
    20180902_064540.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
You can order a name plate with your numbers on them and glue them on with inflatable glue. at my last inspection from the C.G. auxiliary. he said they must be permeability afixed to the tender

Go to any sign shop that does mylar lettering, they can do #’s, colors, designs, etc in any size.

Inflatable

I overheard our local harbormaster say to another boater to fix a plate below where motor is mounted on the inside for viewing with letters and decal ...so I did that and hope it will work !!!

I overheard our local harbormaster say to another boater to fix a plate below where motor is mounted on the inside for viewing with letters and decal ...so I did that and hope it will work !!!

It won't if any LEO really cares...

Another disappointing harbomaster.

The regs clearly state vessel numbering.

It won't if any LEO really cares...

Another disappointing harbomaster.

The regs clearly state vessel numbering.

Do they clearly state things about boats that are not documented??? Most dinghies obviously are not documented so therefore fall under the jurisdiction of the state.

Talking out of my ass here....

Go to any sign shop that does mylar lettering, they can do #’s, colors, designs, etc in any size.

BINGO!!! Sign shops in boating areas are very familiar with boat numbering/lettering

Do they clearly state things about boats that are not documented??? Most dinghies obviously are not documented so therefore fall under the jurisdiction of the state.

Talking out of my ass here....

There's an amazing consistency among the states. Here is FL, which is typical.

Registration numbers must be displayed on the forward half of the vessel on both sides above the waterline.

The numbers must be bold block letters at least 3" high in a color contrasting to the hull.

Letters must be separated from the numbers by a hyphen or space equal to letter width.

I used custom made vinyl letters and numbers from Prizm Graphics in Seattle. This worked great.

Attachments

• IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back