Marine Trader 44 Trawler Boom Dimensions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KnottyGuy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rocinante
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 44 Trawler Tri-Cabin
Hello Everyone,

Just recently purchased a 1979 Marine Trader 44 trawler tri-cabin. My surveyors went over her in great detail. Overall she's in really good shape. No hull or deck problems and both engines have good compression with low hours ~1,500. But she's in need of cosmetic work. She was bought with the boom missing. The previous owner removed it then stored it away. Later it was moved then subsequently lost. I'm asking if someone could measure the stock boom mounted on their yacht. I need length and the diameter or circumference at the widest section. Also would like to see pictures of the hardware and both ends. My plan will be to make one or cut it from a salvaged piece. Thank you!

Anyone out there who could help me with this? Anything will be appreciated.

I'll be going down to the boat tomorrow and will take some measurements for you. Bear in mind mine is a 34 footer.

IMG_0270.jpg

I’ll take detail pictures. My MT 1979 44. I use the boom to lift a lot of stuff. Rob

You two are awesome! Thank you for taking time to obtain measurements needed to start my project. Also please measure the internal diameter of the boom end ring. Found second hand ring for sale on eBay that might be an good equivalent.

marcail, thank you for sharing a picture of your MT44. It looks very clean and well maintained.

Last edited:
Still learning how to post photos, Dimensions. Boom length 10’ 1”. Diameter closest to mast. 6 1/2”. Our end diameter. 8 1/2 “. Lifting tackle. 39” from outside end. All measurement were made with steel measure and an amateur engineer in the rain.
Best of luck. I think this the original gear.

Still learning how to post photos, Dimensions. Boom length 10’ 1”. Diameter closest to mast. 6 1/2”. Our end diameter. 8 1/2 “. Lifting tackle. 39” from outside end. All measurement were made with steel measure and an amateur engineer in the rain.
Best of luck. I think this the original gear.

I replaced my mast and boom, as those originally equipping my boat were totally inadequate, couldn't lift a Sabot (52#) from the water beside the boat.

The boom diameter is relatively unimportant, as diameter will vary depending on the material you decide to use. in the above quote, I think his measurements are just wrong, as in the picture, it looks like my 2.5" diameter aluminum pipe. The length should be long enough to reach the centre of whatever load you are designing it to lift. In my case, I wanted to lift a Laser dinghy, 3.5' wide at max beam, so the boom needed to be 1/2 the width of my boat at the mast position plus 1/2 the width of the Laser, plus enough to avoid too much banging against the varnished rails on the way up. My boat has max beam of 14'6", so 7'3" plus 21" or 112" works as a minimum. If I was going to lift wider loads I would go with a longer boom.
Lifting tackle should be out at the very end, top and bottom.
Multiple blocks make lifting easier.

Let me correct deminsion. My bad. The measurements are the circumference of the poles. My tender is on. davits. Sorry for the fake news. Rob

marcail, thank you so much for your efforts to obtain those measurements. No worries about the errors. The pictures helped me deduce what your diameter versus circumference measurements. Koliver comments supported what I suspected. Again thank you for your efforts!

koliver, thank you for your input here. Your comment pertaining to the boom length helped to make me realize the boom length on marcails yacht may not necessarily work for mine. My MT44 beam is 14'2" and the tender is 3'6". So if I want 12" of clearance to lower it into the water without hitting my yacht, the minimum boom length should be (14'4" / 2) + (3'6" / 2) + 12" = 86" + 21" + 12" = 119" = ~10'. So as it happens his measurement works with my yacht too as we have the same vessel.

Back
Top Bottom