Boat Damaged in Marina Slip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This reminds me of when I was moving my new-to-me boat from Sausalito to Ventura last year. The first night we pulled into Moss Landing (what a sh#t hole) after reserving a slip well ahead. My boat is about 55' overall and they assigned me a 30' slip! We pulled in, but were unable secure the stern or to disembark without jumping down to the feces-covered dock. When I went to the marina office, the manager said, "do you want it or not?". I was floored! :banghead: It was getting dark, so way too late to move. No electrical, the water was suspect, and there were derelict vessels and people all over the place. Luckily, I didn't damage anything while hanging 15'+ into the main channel. Give Moss Landing a wide berth. :eek: I'm glad your experience was more positive with the management.

Cheers, Bill

Last edited:
I agree with BandB that both you and the marina took the high road and dealt with a bad situation in an admirable fashion.
I wonder if you would be willing to identify the marina so others can avoid another incident.
I'm interested in that I travel the NY canals and might guess where this might be but it would only be a guess.

Sure, I’ll do that tomorrow after I let the mgr know. I’d prefer not to blind-side him.

Sure, I’ll do that tomorrow after I let the mgr know. I’d prefer not to blind-side him.

Just a suggestion

You might want to do PM with those who request via PM until you get things fixed or at least paid for or at very least written in signed document before letting the marina's name and circumstance onto the broad market. At this juncture your boat's repair seems 1st priority.

I agree with BandB that both you and the marina took the high road and dealt with a bad situation in an admirable fashion.
I wonder if you would be willing to identify the marina so others can avoid another incident.
I'm interested in that I travel the NY canals and might guess where this might be but it would only be a guess.

OK, I talked to Bernie, the manager at Oswego Marina, and told him I’d be discussing details of the incident with the slip obstruction on boating forums. First, this is the privately held marina that is sometimes labeled municipal on some maps. It’s the last harbor on starboard as you approach Lake Ontario from the south on the Oswego River. There is another marina in the area that is sometimes confused with it. Oswego Marina is pleasant and very well protected; the restrooms/showers/laundry are spotless, it’s close to good restaurants and several blocks to shopping. I would certainly stay there again.

The slip to avoid if you have more that a two-foot draft is the first on the right as you enter the marina. The water was down a foot or more when we were there but I would still not dock there at full pool in anything with a deeper draft as the submerged ledge runs almost the full length of the slip on the right side. There is also a submerged rock rock near the far end of the slip—which we did not hit. Both of these hazards are made worse during periods of lower water. Most of the staff is aware of the hazards to larger boats in this slip and would not assign it. (I daresay all of them are now aware; I’d be surprised if the slip hasn’t got police barrier tape all over it after our little drama ;).) The other slips are very generously sized, plenty deep and the docks are in very good condition.

Bernie was truly remorseful for the inconvenience and his actions (which I noted above) speak volumes about his integrity and how he views his responsibilities to customers. Don’t let my story deter you from an otherwise fine marina.

Last edited:
Angus
Thanks for confirming my guess.
Pass by & fuel there often and it is a convenient location.
We frequently stay at "the other place" also a municipal marina.
Actually glad to hear water levels are down... 2017 was a nightmare w high water.
Glad things worked out... enjoy the rest of the voyage.

Bernie was truly remorseful for the inconvenience and his actions (which I noted above) speak volumes about his integrity and how he views his responsibilities to customers. Don’t let my story deter you from an otherwise fine marina.

This calamity seems to have come out quite correctly. Good to see a dark situation turn out to be a bright ending. Bernie and that marina should be quite happy that due to his/their exemplary actions the good word advertising for that marina will in the long run more than pay back their this year "tax deductible" base cost for your repairs. :thumb:

I say Bravo!

Last time we were through there we docked at Oswego International. Next time, if they can accommodate us, we absolutely will dock at Oswego Marina. Bernie has won a customer with his response. That's how it often is when something goes wrong. By your actions, your integrity and professionalism or lack thereof, you either win customers or lose them. Doing the right thing isn't just right from a moral standpoint, it's good business. If you choose the wrong option, you can't afford enough advertising to overcome it. If you choose the right option, you get more positive publicity than you could ever afford in any other way. Ultimately, as a businessman, I don't look at it as a loss but as money well and wisely spent.

Unfortunately, there are business persons who would have said you were in a hurry and wouldn't be returning so who cares.

I feared the internet review sites when I first got into retail a few years ago. I thought of the crazy people who would lie and really hurt us. I've come to appreciate how unfounded my fears were. People overlook the one bad review that makes no sense and before we can respond, other customers do. However, the public reviews can be incredibly positive if you do things right. Yelp, Trip Advisor, Google, Active Captain get far more positive reviews than negative and when you see several negative they are generally well deserved and a good warning.

It may be three years from now, but I hope to shake Bernie's hand when we pass through. This is how things should work.

It may be three years from now, but I hope to shake Bernie's hand when we pass through. This is how things should work.

He may not be there. Managers and dockmasters seem to come and go frequently.

He may not be there. Managers and dockmasters seem to come and go frequently.

I know so the gesture may just be virtual. However, there are locations where dock managers or owners or others have been the same for decades.

As a newbie, non-boat owner, what is a ball park cost for these repairs?

Have no idea what this incident cost the OP but I had two "extra" props on board when I bought it. The original ones. Both had significant dings...more than dings actually, gouges on both. Previous owner hit something, no idea what. Had them repaired, balanced, and prop speed on both. Cost was about $1,200. Now good as new.

Have no idea what this incident cost the OP but I had two "extra" props on board when I bought it. The original ones. Both had significant dings...more than dings actually, gouges on both. Previous owner hit something, no idea what. Had them repaired, balanced, and prop speed on both. Cost was about $1,200. Now good as new.

Total cost to the OP was zero since the marina picked up the full tab. (We did lose a day but the weather for crossing Lake Ontario was marginal anyway.). Previously, I’ve paid $400 to have a pair of props trued up—no major damage—but that did not include removal and reinstallation.)

Yes, should have said cost to the marina. Mine were pretty bad and the prop speed was much more than I thought it would..or should..be.

Yes, should have said cost to the marina. Mine were pretty bad and the prop speed was much more than I thought it would..or should..be.

I hear that. We backed away from Prop Speed and used some zinc primer. Good for about a season; not as long-lasting as I hear Prop Speed can be.

I hear that. We backed away from Prop Speed and used some zinc primer. Good for about a season; not as long-lasting as I hear Prop Speed can be.

Prop Speed is worth it's cost in South Florida, but that doesn't mean it is in other places.

I feared the internet review sites when I first got into retail a few years ago. I thought of the crazy people who would lie and really hurt us. I've come to appreciate how unfounded my fears were. People overlook the one bad review that makes no sense and before we can respond, other customers do.

Off topic, but while I agree with you to a certain extent, I thing it may depend on the industry.

In health care, Yelp type reviews are of little value. Sure there are patients that leave great reviews but often about inconsequential things. They may like me, but they really aren’t able to judge the quality of care I provide. Folks that leave negative reviews often simply don’t know what they are talking about.

What I find valuable is reviews of my staff, bot good and bad. Much like a review of a restaurant where they either love the wait staff or find them rude. That is information that I, as an employer, can use.

However, whether the review is good or bad, accurate or in error, I can’t respond. I am bound by the Health Information Portability and Privacy Act. If someone leaves a great review I can’t respond with a thank-you. That would be a violation of HIPPA. If someone leaves a justly deserved negative review, I can’t respond with an apology. If someone is completely screwed up and makes false claims, i can’t correct them. Unless the reviewer gives us written permission to disclose their information, there is no way to legally respond. This drives my partner crazy, but she is under 40 years old. I don’t worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
. This drives my partner crazy, but she is under 40 years old. I don’t worry about it.

Ok, I will bite! How does the age of your partner affect the impact of negative reviews!?!

Ok, I will bite! How does the age of your partner affect the impact of negative reviews!?!

Good question. Two ways I think.

The first is that she is of a generation where online reviews are very important. I’m a generation older and didn’t grow up with them so I don’t have as much of a personal attachment to online comments etc...

The second is that I’ve been in practice for 35 years. Not a lot upsets me anymore. Years ago I would have been more bothered by a negative review or more pleased with a positive one. My attitude at this point is that while I try to make everyone happy, that is not my mission. My mission is to provide the best possible eyecare to my patients and treat them in a manner consistent with my Christian faith. If I do that, and they aren’t happy I will be disappointed, but not greatly upset. I couldn’t say that 20+ years ago.

I've seen other sites more helpful in health care but also seen that if there's a bad review that's not consistent, other reviewers will step up to the plate and defend. I recall one that said the doctor was rude and rushed and had a lousy bedside manner. There were several reviews right behind praising the time the doctor took and the way they treated you. However, I've found the reviews helpful when you find a consistent strain. We learn to dismiss the outlier review. I've also learned to see the doctor whose office is aggressively pushing patients to review.

Ultimately, I've seen it like other reviews where maintaining 5 stars is nearly impossible but the good providers or companies do end up around 4 stars. 3 stars you look at more carefully, and those at 2 stars are generally to be avoided.

While we are off-topic, what about a RA doctor sharing an office with an Infectious diseases doctor? the way they "cure" RA is to hogtie your immune system so it won't attack your own body, but that makes you susceptible to every stray germ that happens by... So, yeah, make me go to an office where I KNOW some of the patients are infectious disease carriers? That didn't last but one visit with me.

While we are off-topic, what about a RA doctor sharing an office with an Infectious diseases doctor? the way they "cure" RA is to hogtie your immune system so it won't attack your own body, but that makes you susceptible to every stray germ that happens by... So, yeah, make me go to an office where I KNOW some of the patients are infectious disease carriers? That didn't last but one visit with me.

But did you write a bad review?

You bet... explaining my worries about being infected by accident, by being in the same place with known infected people. The last place I want to be.

Thank you for naming the marina. I stopped in that marina a couple of times, but never in that slip. I do keep a record book of both good and bad places and or things and I will add this info to it. Like you said the marina is a very nice place and I will be back there in the future.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Can you let us know the approx location of where this happened? perhaps between which locks? I have been through most of the Erie and Champlain Canals and have some familiarity with the marinas.
JimL

Sorry to hear about your issues. Can you let us know the approx location of where this happened? perhaps between which locks? I have been through most of the Erie and Champlain Canals and have some familiarity with the marinas.
JimL

On the Oswego River, just south of Lake Ontario on the eastern bank, in Oswego, NY.

That's the one area I'm not familiar with. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom