Spooky Marine layer and/or smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't usually welcome cool wind and rain, but today's weather is beautiful.

I’m at cornet bay and it’s quite hazy even after we had a sprinkle this morning. I’ve developed a chest cough and hard to swallow. Ready for more rain.

I’m at cornet bay and it’s quite hazy even after we had a sprinkle this morning. I’ve developed a chest cough and hard to swallow. Ready for more rain.

Sorry. It isn’t quite as bad here right now, although yesterday we could really smell the smoke in the air.

I was thinking about using Cornet Bay as a stopover before going through Deception Pass the next morning. Never been there.

Treat that like you would a pollen allergy. Take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at bedtime and daytime if it doesn’t make you too drowsy. For most people it does. Daytime, use any of the non-sedative ones like Loratadine (Claritan, etc., also super cheap at Costco as “Allerclear”).

If you have none of these on your boat, a strong cup of coffee will also do the trick. Caffeine is a very effective antihistamine and a cup of coffee can actually save a life in an acute asthma attack if no other meds are to hand.

Last edited:
Treat that like you would a pollen allergy. Take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at bedtime and daytime if it doesn’t make you too drowsy. For most people it does. Daytime, use any of the non-sedative ones like Loratadine (Claritan, etc., also super cheap at Costco as “Allerclear”).

If you have none of these on your boat, a strong cup of coffee will also do the trick. Caffeine is a very effective antihistamine and a cup of coffee can actually save a life in an acute asthma attack if no other meds are to hand.

If the congestion is already to your chest, check the color phlegm and if it's got color, then immediately get to a doctor and get an antibiotic as your allergic response has likely turned into an infection which can easily lead to pneumonia.

You've already gone through nasal congestion to throat to lung so may have missed the opportunity to treat successfully with an antihistamine only.

Thanks for your concern. A little yellow Color in the morning for a couple days. I’m getting a good nights rest, If I don’t improve I’ll consider stopping by a clinic as I have to get fuel in Anacortes tomorrow and rid the boat of liquor before heading towards BC.

Yeah, it's a really good question. I was thinking about pilots who run into disastrous trouble flying into instrument meteorological conditions when they don't have an IFR rating, or who push on past the point of no return on fuel, victims of "getthereitis."

I like night passages. We should have had half a moon for light and the spotlight makes it less stressful during crabbing season. A fresh wind had blown in and rather than clearing the air it only made the smoke thicker.

Yeah, we could have easily turned back. By the time it was fully dark the light smoke conditions at the north end of the trip had gotten much worse; that was nearly the halfway point. Along that stretch of coast there is no anchorage at all for a boat our size and considerable tug, barge and large ship traffic; I knew that dropping the hook in shallower (unprotected) water would only result in me staying up on watch all night. I did consider several places but decided that pushing on, while exhausting, was not actually dangerous.

Would I choose to do this again? Nope.

Maybe I missed it in the posts... how fast were you traveling in those "blind" conditions?

Thanks for your concern. A little yellow Color in the morning for a couple days. I’m getting a good nights rest, If I don’t improve I’ll consider stopping by a clinic as I have to get fuel in Anacortes tomorrow... before heading towards BC.
Two years back it was going to cost me, as a "foreigner" Australian, $250+ to see a Doctor in Canada. I discovered a pharmacist can prescribe antibiotics, for effectively the price of the antibiotic medication, which it sounds as if you need. Maybe do it in USA first?

Sorry. It isn’t quite as bad here right now, although yesterday we could really smell the smoke in the air.

I was thinking about using Cornet Bay as a stopover before going through Deception Pass the next morning. Never been there.

There is easy hikes around here, which is good for me as I’m recovering from foot surgery. There are a couple floating docks that make for a good overnight. I’m at the main dock as it makes the dog walks easier. The downside is that the main dock gets taken over by fisherman during the day.

Dead calm tonight, would have been a good night to hang in Bowman Bay just around the corner. I had to put a patch the dingy today, so did not want to be at anchor.

Yesterday in Ganges we had a light drizzle and overcast skies but today in Trincomali Channel visibility is quite good, blue skies between mid-level cumulus.

Yesterday in Ganges we had a light drizzle and overcast skies but today in Trincomali Channel visibility is quite good, blue skies between mid-level cumulus.

We had a drizzle last night and this morning. Woke up to nearly no haze. Feels better to breathe already. Hope we can get a couple days out of it.

Dog had an emergency at 6am, so we just ran up to shore and cast lines upon return. Looped back around to Anacortes, got diesel, dropped of a bunch of stuff in the slip and went up to town for groceries. Now I’m cruising up Harney Channel looking for a good home for two or three nights. Thinking maybe Prevost if it’s not too crowded.

Back
Top Bottom