Safety gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Breeze
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
We are getting close to closing on our "new" boat. Wondering what everyone's list is for essential safety gear and procedures? I know cruising destinations, boat set up and personal preference will play into the discussion, but would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what works for them, what doesn't, and what they consider essential as we head off on our new adventure.

Well this will be a long thread, I'm sure, but I'll start you off:

All uscg required equipment
Anchor and spare
Mounted vhf x 2
Both full time crew (em and I) have designated inflatable life jackets with a whistle, light or strobe, and vhf attached. Considered required during night ops.
GPS
Radar
I carry a plb but that's cruising range dependent, I'd say.
Sea anchor
Med kit
Horn or two
Training to use this stuff
I'm sure I forgot something

Where and how the boat will be used is very important to come up with the right list.

Where and how the boat will be used is very important to come up with the right list.

How true this is. For coastal cruising like we do...

Of course standard required safety equipment. Inflatable pfds WORN by crew during passage, with knife, whistle and light attached. Life sling at the stern ready for deployment and crew training in using it. Dinghy ready to deploy. AIS, multiple GPS, charts of the area and a plan. Handheld VHF ready at all times. Boat carefully maintained to reduce chances of issues. Both my wife and I trained in operating safely and using all equipment (both of us ex USCG). One can have all the best equipment but if crew isn't trained and proficient in using it then it won't help.

My biggest concern is an MOB situation during a passage. Most everything else is easily handled with reasonable preparation.

Ken

A damn good quality folding serrated knife that you can keep on your belt or in your pocket. Four inches long blade at least.

If you get one with a spike all the better.

How true this is. For coastal cruising like we do...

My biggest concern is an MOB situation during a passage. Most everything else is easily handled with reasonable preparation.
Ken

Agree with the other comments but Agree completely with kchase - hopefully it doesn't happen often but have a plan and practice ahead of time w/ normal crew so it is second nature.

In addition to a USCG req'd throwable we carry a "throw bag" - 50 ft of floating line that you can toss to a POB. We have never had the need but it has come in handy when assisting others with other problems. With a little practice you might be surprised how accurate you can throw it.

A 50 ft floating line you can attach to a throwable is my preferred method to pick up a POB. Attach them and attach to a stern cleat... toss overboard and circle the POB to pick up the line / flotation. That allows you to stop the engine and pull the POB to the boat vs having to maneuver close w/ engine(s), which can provide additional hazards.

Practice - practice - a best practice is to designate a spotter that immediately after be alerted of a POB gets and maintains a constant visual on the POB and points at the person. The spotter should then move to a position the helmsman can see the spotter and maneuver in the direction the spotter is pointing towards.

If you have a chart plotter w/ a MOB function learn how it works and practice, practice. A plastic gal jug w/ a small wt attached w/ a short line makes a great practice aid. It is about the size of a persons head and help illustrate how difficult it can be to see the POB.

The other practice we use and have gotten others in the habit of is using a swim line... a 25 - 50 ft floating line attached to a stern cleat and floating off the stern whenever we are swimming from the boat. We frequently just drift in open even when rafted up. We try to have at least the outside boats in the raft deploy their swim lines.
We have had 1-2 drowning deaths / season locally where boaters stop on a hot day and everyone (or at least everyone capable of handling the boat) jump in. The boat drifts away from the swimmers and they can't get back to the boat. Either anchoring or using a swim line would have prevented multiple deaths.

Ok, here's some of mine:

Inflatable PFDs with whistle, strobe, and PLB
Self deploying EPIRB
Self deploying life raft (came with the boat)
Tag line. 30' of 1/2" polypropylene rope with small fender ball on the end. Deployed at anchorages to facilitate getting back to the boat if you fall in. Also as a grab line when in a dinghy or kayak.
First aid kit
Oxygen therapy kit

Ted

One thing I have on board that I have never heard of anyone else carrying, is an emergency surgery kit complete with a trauma surgeon. The doctor is one of my friends who fishes with me often. He donated the surgery kit. Not sure what is in it (sealed to keep it sanitary), but he says it is everything needed to conduct a simple surgery, including removing a burst appendix.

We carry one other rarely seen item: wrist bands that will set off an alarm if its wearer falls overboard. They suit our style of boating -- running through the night with only two guys at the helm, except when one of them is making an ER check, etc.

One thing I have on board that I have never heard of anyone else carrying, is an emergency surgery kit complete with a trauma surgeon. The doctor is one of my friends who fishes with me often. He donated the surgery kit. Not sure what is in it (sealed to keep it sanitary), but he says it is everything needed to conduct a simple surgery, including removing a burst appendix.

We carry one other rarely seen item: wrist bands that will set off an alarm if its wearer falls overboard. They suit our style of boating -- running through the night with only two guys at the helm, except when one of them is making an ER check, etc.

I use to have a US Army surgeon for a customer. Got all sorts of medical supplies for my charter boat. 2 interesting items were the see through bandages and the field cauterizing tool. Whenever a customer would need a bandaid, I would tell them I was dying to try the cauterizing tool. :devil:

Ted

We went remote, so in addition to standard items Med kit included:

medical stapler, self catheter kit, prescription pain meds, antibiotics, anti nausea suppositories, IV supplies, dental supplies, etc.

It is important to know how to use items. For instance my wife can’t handle blood and gore, hence the stapler I could use with one hand if necessary. It doesn’t hurt to carry extra, as we were able to provide assistance to others, and came across several EMT, nurses, Doctors, that could use supplies.

It can get really expensive as some items need to be renewed often. If you choose to go remote, a wilderness medical course/class would be a great benefit, and provide you with a good idea of required supplies.

Think about how far offshore you will venture and in what sea conditions. We carry a sea anchor. Not so much for storm survival conditions but for loss of propulsion offshore. Can be pretty miserable when dead in the water in even moderate seas.
I am not too concerned with loosing both engines do to mechanical/fuel issues, but a lightning strike can be a show stopper for the ECU's.

Having taught a couple of courses aimed at the spouses/significant others of the main boater my thoughts include training of the second person to be able to radio for help in an emergency, this includes boat name, type etc and how to read the GPS. Also repeated training in how to handle a man-overboard situation. Especially how to get the life ring to the person in the water and how to hoist a disabled person aboard.

Further how to assist the captain in a fire or sinking situation. Who does what.

Sailors are better at this then trawler boaters but with a little effort everyone can be ready for an emergency.

Old saying of mine: Emergencies don't occur on sunny days in calm waters right outside of the marina. Usually all h*ll is breaking loose.

Thank you, Marty. Definitely a fully operational two-person crew on our soon-to-be-boat. No "admiral" or reluctant wife here. :)

We are both pilots -- husband is a professional, I have all my ratings, including CFI, multi, etc. The thought of not both being skilled and capable boaters together would never cross our minds. We're in this adventure together!

Old saying of mine: Emergencies don't occur on sunny days in calm waters right outside of the marina. Usually all h*ll is breaking loose.

YES. had to deal with thunderstorms with heavy seas, rain, wind, lightning, and dodging waterspouts at the same time. And that is really just one event.
Those with small ones might consider ambu bags and O2. I carried a couple sizes when out of the country. And, docking/mooring is a place where drownings happen too.
Those with trauma kits might talk to a Dr about closing major wounds in non-sterile conditions. I'm hearing Don't. My Dr tossed all my suture kits. EPI pens are good if doing swamp stomps and someone who is sensitive gets stung.
VHF #2 I recommend being a handheld. VHF#3 can be the second fixed.
Dinks might aught to have a 2nd means or propulsion, even if it is human powered and slow. Take ur air band portable with you and some green books. Might have to flag down someone who is otherwise busy on an approach freq. :D

Last edited:
We are both pilots -- husband is a professional, I have all my ratings, including CFI, multi, etc. The thought of not both being skilled and capable boaters together would never cross our minds. We're in this adventure together!

Wifey B: My kind of woman. No admirals or 1st mates, all the way in. Your piloting experience will benefit you. I don't pilot planes, but am a licensed captain and love gathering all the knowledge and experience I can. :D

I'm not suggesting everyone get a license but when thinking emergency and safety I do think of a couple of courses that are perhaps the least fun but the most important we've done in that regard. So don't have to take the courses but anything you can learn in the regard is helpful.

1. Fire fighting
2. First aid and beyond...we took Medical Person in Charge
3. Survival craft and rescue

You learn things you hope you'll never use or need to.

They forced us to push closer to our limits too, to do things we didn't know we could. Fire fighting was toughest for me. It's so physically demanding. My hubby's tough one was the time we had to do in the Emergency Room. He never liked blood and gore. He learned he could handle it though and one time since has shown he can handle it in helping a stranger.

Emergencies and serious safety issues will put most of us far outside our normal comfort zone and that's part of being prepared. Everyone here comes from a different background. Those of you with military backgrounds have done physically demanding tasks we never have. We're younger and in better shape than some and probably swim better than some. Then there's the mental prep of what we'll do individually and as a team in different circumstances.

Medical kit, I'm sure we've gone far overboard, but the last thing we ever want to face is saying we couldn't help because we didn't have something we needed with us. Sealife listed some items.

We have always worried about what if something happened to one of our friends aboard, but our 4 year old niece, Aurora.....I must say the most beautiful and incredible 4 year old in the history of the universe :D:D:D ....Aurora traveled off shore with us this summer and that made us really think. We went through all the what if's. What if she got terribly sick, what if she cut her foot or broke her leg, what if she got stung by a bee or bitten by a snake or spider. Suddenly the value of being prepared sky rocketed. We feel a responsibility for everyone's safety, but when it's your wonderful niece, or child or grandchild, it really hits. :eek:

Lots of things to think about and so many good suggestions for us as we go forward. I especially appreciate your response, "Wifey B" -- because honestly, where are all the empowered women on this site? Please, make yourselves known! :)

Lots of things to think about and so many good suggestions for us as we go forward. I especially appreciate your response, "Wifey B" -- because honestly, where are all the empowered women on this site? Please, make yourselves known! :)

Wifey B: Pilou and Dorsey and their husbands left. Janice is the most empowered here. Donna is a very empowered lady as well. A few others remain. Star is active. Trying to think of others. :)

If you are cruising, emergencies may happen at midnight, in the rain, in an isolated anchorage, and you may not have cell or vhf coverage. Even of you do, CG boat may be 3 hours away, CG helicopter may be an hour away, You're really on your own. Plan accordingly.

Most essential safety procedure is training the mate to safely operate the boat without you. You may fall overboard.

If you are cruising, emergencies may happen at midnight, in the rain, in an isolated anchorage, and you may not have cell or vhf coverage. Even of you do, CG boat may be 3 hours away, CG helicopter may be an hour away, You're really on your own. Plan accordingly.

Most essential safety procedure is training the mate to safely operate the boat without you. You may fall overboard.

Perhaps some means of communication goes on the list as well.

Thank you. In planning accordingly, I am most interested in hearing what everyone considers essential safety gear. I understand we are all different, our cruising and personal circumstances are different, our backgrounds are different -- but what wouldn't you personally leave the dock without?

Most survival schools teach the steps of survival rather than emphasising equipment.

They also teach that much of the time that you only have what is on your person when a survival situation begins.

I always taught that the best way to survive a survival situation is to never get into one...and once in one to have the necessary gear to keep you alive long enough to get rescued.

That why "equipment lists" vary so much from person to person as the "see in their minds" different scenarios...but not all the possible ones.

So as you compile your list, think as much as what you don't need as much as what you might to keep you on track.

Expeditions to the Carribean certainly don't need the same as to the Arctic as well as ICW trips don't need the same as offshore ones.

One can get carried away with gear when the main object is rescue .....not surviving in perfect health, comfort or for long term.

I agree strongly about the misguided focus on gear when it's really training that carries the day. Two extremely simple behaviors that can reduce safety concerns from arising in the first place are abstaining from alcohol when underway and prohibiting guys from peeing over the side. As pilots, you both are intimately familiar with preflight checks, checklists, maintaining skills, and training for emergencies...all critically important elements of safety based on behavior rather than equipment.

The specific question was about safety. Personal safety? Vessel safety? We could go on and on about first aid, emergency vessel repairs, facilitating rescue, etc., but what most people might benefit from most is a risk assessment.

In evaluating risk, consider two factors: likelihood and severity. How likely is it that the boat will actually sink out from under you? Not at all likely, but it would be quite severe on the danger scale. How severe would it be if you fouled your prop on a crab pot warp? In terms of life safety, very low on the severity scale, but not extremely unlikely. Will you equip yourself for every possible contingency? Of course not.

Assess risk exposure in two categories: health-related, which includes illness and injury, and vessel-related, which includes intrinsic (related to ship's systems) and extrinsic (related to environmental hazards) casualties. The likelihood/severity matrix is useful for allocating resources.

Regarding health, unless you have unlimited space, funding, and training, you won't equip the boat like an ambulance, but YOUR situation will determine how you assess risk. For example, if you have a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to bee stings, you had better carry epinephrine at all times. If you're going off the beaten path you'd better add diphenhydramine, and strongly consider ranitidine, albuterol and prednisone. Regarding vessel safety, it's simple to address prevention of disaster, such as ensuring that proper seacocks are fitted, with proper hose and clamps used. Likewise it's very straightforward to address response, such as having a functioning bilge alarm, tapered softwood plugs positioned where accessible, and adequate bilge pumping capacity. But will you carry enough pump capacity to stay ahead of a large hole resulting from a collision? No, it's not a reasonable plan for such an unlikely event.

Do you need an offshore-rated liferaft? Survival suits? Or how about just a dinghy? Do you need SOLAS-grade emergency signalling capabilities or just the minimum legal requirement? Your special situation...your vessel, your training and experience, how, when and where you operate her, who is aboard...will determine how you calculate your risk assessment.

Last edited:
Even the dangers of alcohol and peeing over the side can be greatly reduced eith proper risk management and training.... :)

melissar I will assume that you’re focusing on equipment, because “procedures” opens up another book of comments.

I’ve always thought that the basic USCG equipment was truly the most essential: lifejackets, flares, throwable flotation with a line, sounding device, first aid kit, etc.

Everything else including PLBs, GPS, etc are all embellishments.

Since there is almost infinite equipment that can be listed, I recommend listing every possible item you can imagine and then sorting them into columns of priority: 1-2-3, based on the areas to be cruised.

That will help to organize your thoughts and budget.

I disagree to a point.

3 basics of water survival are stay afloat, stay warm, get found.

Each category is equally important.... though is sort of in order.

While where you are cruising can determine the severity or the redundancy or the efficiency needed in each category.... all the elements remain the same. Some people dont think you can die of hypothermia in the tropics but yhose that have will disagree.

Something liks a PLB/EPIRB is useful even on a tiny mountain lake in the US.. No reason not to have one these days. Not much training needed to push a button there. And it sure can minimize the needs in other categories. In some parts of the world maybe useless, but without getting too far out hopefully everyone here is smart enough to see the point.

So each category has essentials, then has a bazillion nice to haves. And people can and will have strong opinions on what is #1, #2, #3 and so on..... but each category should have a #1 that you are willing to bet your lif on.

Carry as much as you can...but like everyone has been saying...at some point the list becomes rediculous....until that item is what you need.....its then you realize life is always full of risks and going boating does carry its share of them.

I carry survival suits because I am always in cold water. They're faster to put on than a wet suit. Epirb is the way to get attention and the right model is self activating so if you can't radio/call the message still goes out. As a captain, you can outfit your boat however you want and take your own chances, but you're responsible for others aboard.

How severe would it be if you fouled your prop on a crab pot warp? In terms of life safety, very low on the severity scale, but not extremely unlikely. Will you equip yourself for every possible contingency? Of course not.

Anchored solidly by pot warp from the stern in 3-5 avg, taking an occasional one over the stern, increasing winds, dark approaching, can be high on the severity scale. How can you prepare?

Boathook won't reach. Maybe a grapnel but even if you hook the warp you won't be able to haul it up unless you have a winch. You're probably going to dive on it in 55* water underneath a stern that moving 10' up and down. An extremely sharp serrated knife is required with a long cord so you won't drop it. A skateboard helmet is a good idea if your head is under the pounding stern.

SCUBA is best but it's expensive and requires specialized training. Snorkle is OK but it will take a few dives to cut through the multiple wraps.

I won't leave the dock without mandated equipment but experience has taught me that there are several scenarios that I want to be prepared for. For pot warps I carry all of the above. I can't predict them all so it's a dynamic list and I do have a dinghy/life raft with epirb. If the water rises over the floorboards I'm out of there.

If the boat sinks you want an eprib and either a life raft or survival suits.

For an MOB, an eprib or even a PLB is in my opinion relatively useless, unless in populated inshore waters. 1st problem is recognizing that there is an MOB. 2nd is finding them again. Third is getting them back on board. Technology can help with the first two.

I have the Raymarine Lifetag system on the sailboat, everyone wears a tag which, if it gets too far from the boat, sounds an alarm. I also keep a PLB in my pocket, but I doubt the response will be quick enough. Recently I bought an Ocean Signals MOB1, this seems like a brilliant piece of equipment as it is easily pocketable (or packed in your PFD), alerts the remaining crew that you are overboard, and provides an AIS beacon guiding them back to your actual, current location. In the ocean, that is key, it is very difficult to find an overboard item once you are a 100 yards away.

Recovery depends a lot on the boat, crew, and training.

Another thing not yet mentioned is a DeLorme (now unfortunately Garmin) inReach. This device not only provides satellite tracking, but two way communication via the Iridium constellation. It has SOS capability, but also the ability to explain your situation and what is needed. I'd rather have a working inReach than an epirb. There are a couple of similar devices now, supposedly the Spot has gotten somewhat better in the third generation but it had a long way to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom