Transmission oil leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bramz

Vessel Name
Fahrfromwurken
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47 Yachtfisher
We have twin Ford Lehman SP275's with Newage PRM 601M transmissions. I can see oil stains on the drip pads under the rear shaft seals after operating the boat. I had to add over 1/2 quart of oil to each transmission after 45 hours of operation to get oil level up to full. We are about 400 miles into our Great Loop trip (currently in Grafton IL). Should I keep up the daily checks and adding oil as needed, or should I start looking for a place that can undertake a seal replacement? My repair options are very limited the next 300 miles until I get to Green Turtle Bay.

No problem adding oil. I would start calling ahead to locate seals.
Keep the rpm's down as seals could let go completely at anytime.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. As already mentioned, keep a close eye on levels and add as necessary. I would increase your daily level checks to every 3 or 4 hours. One potential option would be to add a seal swell type of product although I don't know if that would be a plus or a minus. You really don't have any other option other than a very long tow.

350x200_TSL1.png

Sold by some NAPA outlets...

So basically 1/2 quart a week? I would continue until you find a good boatyard to do the repairs.
But 1/2 quart if leakage would make more than a few oil spots on a diaper. It would be dripping wet.

The fact BOTH transmissions were equally low implies the prior check might not have been correct.

Most all transmissions are checked running. It is also often best done when cold, despite manufacturer instructions in some cases, as "splash" from usage can skew the reading on a dipstick (IDK your particular set-up, this is a generalization).

1/2 qt. of leakage from each would be a virtual toxic spill, not stains on a drip pad. Something isn't quite adding up here...

Lubegard Red is an excellent and truly effective transmission additive. It contains synthetic esterified oil base which functions extremely well as a seal swell agent. It also reduces temperatures slightly (about 5F in my case; not huge), in addition to the anti-wear additives it contains. I am not familiar with the product RTF linked; it may be equally effective so I am not advocating this over that.

Their "blue" engine additive is also highly effective in both absolute and cost terms, and true whether gas or diesel. 1oz/qt of lube is adequate.

Lubegard Red:
LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

PRM Older Models | PRM NEWAGE

Here's a link to their website where you can download a manual.

I'd attempt contact with them for recommendations.

I hope it is not a critical problem and you can continue your trip without too much worry.

It looks like they recommend 15w40 oil.

Last edited:
OP
Some shots in the dark-

Any chance you are overfilling and it is venting out? Have you recently changed oil types?

Thank you for your all your perspectives and ideas on how to best sort this out. It is very much appreciated.

Check to be sure that they level continues to go down. Some will stop reducing at a certain level.

Checking the overflow vent is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom