Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Inquiry* --*pros and cons of registering a vessel vs. documenting?** KJ

Documenting may be required if you take your boat internationally. Documenting provides a means of title search. Documenting MAY make it easier to recover a stolen vessel. Documenting means you don't have to display your state's registration number if you state has such a requirement.

KJ wrote:
Inquiry* --*pros and cons of registering a vessel vs. documenting?** KJ
1. *a documented vessel is easier to clear into a foreign port

2. *some states do not have titling laws for boats. *documenting the vessel can make it easier to obtain financing because it is lienable

3. *some states to not make you mar the looks of your vessel with the silly state registration numbers

4. *documenting gives a chain of ownership

5. *I can think of no cons

On a previous boat, when we were living in the US we did both: state registration and USCC vessel documentation.* I think most states require that you register your vessel.* When we bought Hobo (in the states) we only documented since we knew we would be leaving and never stayed in one state for more than a few months,* When we return,*we'll deal with a*state registration then.

Vessel documentation isn't required for most international travel but it will cause headaches once you leave North America. If your going to travel to Canada, Mexico or the Bahama, you shouldn't have any problems.

Larry M wrote:
On a previous boat, when we were living in the US we did both: state registration and USCC vessel documentation.* I think most states require that you register your vessel.* When we bought Hobo (in the states) we only documented since we knew we would be leaving and never stayed in one state for more than a few months,* When we return,*we'll deal with a*state registration then.

Vessel documentation isn't required for most international travel but it will cause headaches once you leave North America. If your going to travel to Canada, Mexico or the Bahama, you shouldn't have any problems.
*Documented boats do not need a State of North Carolina registration.

Larry M wrote:Vessel documentation isn't required for most international travel but it will cause headaches once you leave North America.
*What kind of headaches does documentation cause*beyond NA?

JD wrote;
*Documented boats do not need a State of North Carolina registration.

******* Same in California.

Untill about 5 years ago Louisiana residents didn't need to register documented vessels. Now then they are, $79.00 for my 36 footer.
If I remember right Florida requires non resident boats not registered in a state to purchase temporary FL registration (even those staying less than 90 days) whether documented or not.
Steve W.

Steve wrote:If I remember right Florida requires non resident boats not registered in a state to purchase temporary FL registration (even those staying less than 90 days) whether documented or not.
*That will come as a shock to thousands of vessels that enter Florida waters each year.

RickB wrote:Larry M wrote:Vessel documentation isn't required for most international travel but it will cause headaches once you leave North America.
*What kind of headaches does documentation cause*beyond NA?

My mistake, what I meant was: traveling on a undocumented vessel will cause headaches beyond NA.* About once a year we run into someone who travels on just a state registration and they*can't figure out why they*are having problems checking in.

Here in BC, there is a free Vessel Licensing system, that results in a "BC number" that you can display on the bows of your boat. If you do this, you won't need to "Register" through the Canada Shipping Act. Just fill out a form and drop it off, out comes your new number.

In Canada, registration involves carving the "Official Number" into the "Main Beam" and having the boat measured, to get the "Registered tonnage". This information will tell how much coal can be carried for her majesty, should a state of war require the vessel to be requisitioned for military service.
Registration also eliminates the need for all those ugly numbers to be displayed, and gives you a "Blue Book" that contains one piece of paper, the "Certificate of Registration" which tells all the important things about the boat, length, breadth, depth, tonnage, distance from the front of the rudder post to the bow, ownership, mortgages, master, and maybe a few other things. The Registered name must be unique to your boat, including the whole country, so often, although you think yours is the only "Retreat" a search of the registry may turn up one in Halifax, another in Prince Rupert, so yours will need to take a number to be unique. Then the carved numbers and the displayed name have to be "viewed" by someone with appropriate credentials, RCMP or Coast Guard, Customs, Justice of the Peace, etc. and all appropriate fees paid. Last I looked, the fees were in the $250 to $300 range, not including any charges for affixing the name and numbers and the viewing.
Registration used to be mandatory if your vessel is over 12 meters, but recent changes (the intro of the free licensing system a few yrs ago) have changed that, so boats the size of mine and larger are frequently licensed now.

It is widely stated that Registration makes clearing into other jurisdictions easier, but I have no experience to relate.

In my view, you get exactly what you pay for.

My boat is USCG-documented.

A disadvantage is that the documentation is a public record.* Anyone can readily identify the owner's name and address*using a website.

I elected to not renew the USCG registration on my trawler but it is registered in TN. Reality is that probably 90% of recreational vessels only USCG document b/c their lender makes them as it is the only way they have to record their lien on a nationwide basis. Otherwise, in my opinion, no real need to do it if you are cruising USA waters....just another annual expense, albeit not an expensive one. An out of date USCG registered vessel will still show up in lien searches though ownership may not be current. *If I was traveling a lot to different states I would probably proceed with USCG documenting the vessel.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 19th of December 2011 05:13:36 PM

Rick B wrote*"That will come as a shock to thousands of vessels that enter Florida waters each year."*

*But not many of those vessels are not registered in a state.

Florida Statutes
Florida statutes 327 and 328 regulate the administration and enforcement of vessel registration and titling laws, as well as boating safety. All motor vessels, documented vessels included, operated on state waters must be numbered and titled in Florida, except those used exclusively on private lakes. A non-resident vessel which is already registered by another state can be operated in Florida waters for 90 days before Florida registration is required.*

That is how it was*a*few years ago, check it out, it may have changed.*My last few trips have been as a Louisiana state registered* vessel, also documented so I haven't*had to worry about it. The Venice police dept*was about the only place that checked it. *

Steve W.

-- Edited by Steve on Monday 19th of December 2011 05:22:22 PM

Steve wrote:
*But not many of those vessels are not registered in a state.
*Just the thousands that are foreign flagged.

Woodsong wrote:
Otherwise, in my opinion, no real need to do it if you are cruising USA waters....just another annual expense, albeit not an expensive one.

I'm not sure what you are speaking of.* Yes there is an initial fee but as long as nothing changes the renewals are free.* Just got mine and no money changed hands.*

JD wrote:Woodsong wrote:
Otherwise, in my opinion, no real need to do it if you are cruising USA waters....just another annual expense, albeit not an expensive one.

I'm not sure what you are speaking of.* Yes there is an initial fee but as long as nothing changes the renewals are free.* Just got mine and no money changed hands.*

*Ditto, but Florida registration renewal is about $200.00.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 19th of December 2011 09:16:09 PM

RickB wrote -

"Just the thousands that are foreign flagged."

"Thousands" As in more than one thousand? Are you suggesting many thousands?

If so, the problem of foreign tax scofflaws may be larger than I imagined. If that's what you are saying* then it is time to talk, yet again, to my State Senator who is interested in this subject.

If they are here for repair that's one thing, and that's a good thing, but once the repairs are done, and once the tax free time period provided by FL law closes, they should either pay FL taxes or leave the state.

We need a survey of how many foreign flagged vessels are in FL, and how long they stay. I know just the outfit to do it - The FL FWC - it'll keep them busy rather than counting manatees, and setting up speed traps.

Mike

Steve is 100% correct. All vessels (like ours) plying Florida waters must be registered with a state. They don't care which one. This used to be a problem with states, like Texas, that prohibited both Federal and State registration at the same time. And...registered does not mean titled. It means registered. In Florida registration and titleing are different. Texas now requires all boats to be state registered too.

There used to be a Fish and Wildlife officer in Venice, FL that was notorious for finiing vessel owners that mouthed off to him about how their state did not allow both. He caught me coming in from Texas and I was nice and said yes sir a lot. I was warned about him. I then drove over to the courthouse and gave them a little over a hundred bucks and got my registration.

The only thing to be careful about is that if you have owned your boat for less than six months, they will want you to prove payment of sales tax somewhere.

-- Edited by Doc on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 09:42:49 AM

JD wrote:Woodsong wrote:

*It costs me 44 cents for the stamp to send the paper back each year. Support your local Post Office!*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom