Are we too big for the Chesapeake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeQi

Vessel Name
QiQi
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 54
Hi everyone. We have a 54 foot Nordic Tug which we have cruised on from Ensenada to Glacier Bay and now have in Southern California. We have been thinking of possibly moving to the Annapolis area or some where similar in Virginia. Our question for you all is whether our tug is too big/draws too much (just under 6 feet) to enjoy boating in the Chesapeake. Or perhaps it would be just fine?

Thoughts appreciated!

Just spent two months there in our 53, draws five. You will have zero issues.

Our boat is currently in the Chesapeake.

60 LOA, almost 6ft draft.

Not even close to the biggest boat. Great place, you will love it.

Menzies

Do you have any problem with your draft on the ICW?

Menzies

Do you have any problem with your draft on the ICW?

Normally no, but two weeks of a Southwest blow has blown a lot of water out and made lots of places really skinny, mostly south North Carolina And north South Carolina.

Just pay attention, especially in intersections with inlets, pull her back when depths drop and remember that we are in areas with mud or soft sand in the most part, and protected gear.

Thanks.

Never had a problem with a 4.5 draft, this new boat is a 5.0 draft and I found I was at a slight disadvantage in the Bahamas but not real bad. Good to know about those mud and sand, having a keel we should bounce over.

I've managed to run aground in a boat with 2.5' draft! Up at my end of the Chesapeake you need to pay close attention to your charts and depth sounder, but you'll be OK. Even if you do run aground, it's all sand and mud up here. I've always been able to back off and get on my way.

600 foot containerships travel the length of the Chesapeake.

While not all creeks may be advisible to run, most of the major rivers can be cruised.

Like the Potomac where warships cruise to Washington, and Annapolis where patrol boats used for training frequent as well as many other destinations.

Sure there are shallow spots, but most of thd bay is accessible to large vessels.

You’ll be fine. Lots of boats your size and larger spend their entire lives on the Chesapeake.

I cruised the Chesapeake on a 43' sailboat with a 6' draft and I had no problem. Virtually every anchorage shown on Active Captain is accessible with that draft.

The real question is how are you going to move it from SoCal to the east coast? Either a long cruise through the Panama Canal or shipping it from Ensenada. Trucking would require removing a lot of stuff from that boat.

David

Thanks for all the comments. We would ship it from Ensenada to Florida and then take it up the ICW.

If I had the time and that option I would love to make that trip through the Panama Canal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom