Wife falls off boat in RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we find that alcohol was involved.

Well now, there’s an awful lot missing from that story, I think. Be interesting to see how the story evolves.

The best part of the story is that she survived. I'd like to hear her side of it.

They hit a bridge, later went aground,she fell off, he didn`t notice.....mmm.
How about the lady who "fell" off the Norwegian Sun and was picked after 10 hours by Coastguard in the Adriatic. Smooth and warm seas apparently, but lucky.

The usual "the DW fell over board" happens in the BVI or British ports where the captains word is still law , and there is no investigation.

I remember sailing into Kingston , and the first words from the medical officer was "how many died on the voyage Captain?"

I wouldn’t be surprised if we find that alcohol was involved.

No. Sailors dont drink. They are superior to power boaters in every way. And even if they do drink they are impervious to its effects because they are master seamen and can control their bodies better than boaters. ?

WOW!
First of all, he doesn't seem to be a very good sailor. He runs into a bridge plus runs aground?
Second, he is lucky she was found alive. I would have bet he killed her and dumped her over the side!
Of course, she is very lucky to be alive! Thank God.

Great story, especially the ending. I know I wear a PFD at night, for this exact reason. If you go overboard at night, hope you can swim far enough to get to safety!

This is the funniest story all week. First they actually hit the biggest bridge in the state of RI. In another article the CG says the skipper claimed to not remember much after that. Next, he admits to falling asleep (passing out). Then his wife swims ashore at Prudence Island in the middle of the bay, and the long way around from them trying to pull into home port on the west side of the bay. Finally, he runs aground on the most obvious sand bar that side of Hatteras. Then he pulls into his slip at 2am, 10 hours after they started a maybe 15 mile trip? This guy was drunk off his ass. Or maybe weed is now legal in RI!

Last edited:
Some things you live through; some things you live down. :facepalm:

Ted

2 people on one boat, he doesn't see her for hours, and doesn't realize it til 2am? something's very fishy here. it's odd that there's been no update with her side of the story either.

I would bet alcohol was involved but there are plenty of folks (yes even sailors) who can be stupid without the help of alcohol. I really would like to know if she was wearing a PFD. Even with one, she was fortunate.

We have little facts to go on, but what strikes me as the oddest/most suspicious is that he runs aground, which wakes him up, he manages to get off the sand bar, navigates back to his slip, gets tied up, and only then checks on his wife!?

If I woke up from a nap by hitting the bottom when I thought my wife was at the helm, I think one of the first things I would do would be ask her what the hell was going on.

This feels a lot like a 'Chappaquiddick incident'. Both are drunk, when he passes out and when she falls off is speculation. At some point he realizes she's gone, but is afraid to call mayday. Instead, he rides it out and calls 911 once he's sobered up a bit. He got lucky that she managed to survive by swimming to Prudence Isl.

If this was intentional he would be out in RI sound heading south, not inside of Narragansett bay.

This feels a lot like a 'Chappaquiddick incident'. Both are drunk, when he passes out and when she falls off is speculation. At some point he realizes she's gone, but is afraid to call mayday. Instead, he rides it out and calls 911 once he's sobered up a bit. He got lucky that she managed to survive by swimming to Prudence Isl.

If this was intentional he would be out in RI sound heading south, not inside of Narragansett bay.

Chappaquiddick incident?

Are you saying he tried to kill her to avoid an unwanted pregnancy? :rolleyes:

Ted

Last edited:
Wonder if he does delivery work...

With my wife as crew! :)

Maybe the wife dived off, not fell off. Wisely deserting ship, to swim to safety.

I'm not a religious man by any stretch of the imagination but , God looks out for drunks and fools.

Can’t wait to hear the wife’s side of the story.

This may be the best thread in a long time. If anyone comes across an update, please post a link. You can't make this stuff up !!!

My first thought was "Natalie Wood." Well, except this woman survived.

I would think it would be an awkward conversation at dinner the next day.

NO ONE no mater how drunk,runs aground and then gets himself off without calling for help from the crew and would not notice that she didnt respond. PERIOD.

You can check out the divorce papers, to find out her side of the story. LOL

Last edited:
She is loving the new red convertible, traded in a slightly scratched sailboat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom