Suggestion on a pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigsfish

Guru
Vessel Name
Gotcha
Vessel Make
Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I’m looking for a pump (110 vt) to pump out my bilge when I get a lot of water in it (leaky shaft seals). I would like to permanently mount the pump about three feet above the water so it must be self priming (waterproof might help just in case), it should be possible to run dry as when the water gets sucked out and I would like to use a simple hose to pump the water out through the rear engine hatch. Need reliability as hopefully it won’t be used often.

I know many of you know exactly what I need so send me your suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bigfish, I’m thinking a diaphragm Pump fits your needs. Good self priming and can run dry. How big do you need? Jabsco makes some pretty small ones and Edson makes them pretty big. They are simple pumps and tend to be reliable.

Hi Parks

First,, can we expect to see you in Ft Pierce, free beer. Say yes.

Now your question. I don’t think I need a very large pump, as there is only about 30 gallons that leak in from the shaft seal (when I Slow the RPMs the leak quits). I imagine you sell either pump in your old store?

Thanks

Yes I’m going to try to get up to Ft. Pierce.
Who takes care of you in my old store, Ronny?
With only thirty gallons to move, I really like that old style Jabsco Pump to which I put a link.

It’s been over a year since I retired and I’m already feeling out of touch with the industry! Have you heard anything about Lewis Marine in Ft. Laud. going out of business? I hope it’s just a rumor. They are ice folks.

Yes Ronny is my guy, he’s been helping me for years. Very helpful.

Lewis Marine is an old standard I used for the wholesale and large orders, very nice people and lots of inventory with great service in getting parts. Damn.

Sorry I didn’t get a link to the Jabsco pump, is it 110volts?

Thanks Parks. That boat has been around as long as I have. LOL

See you in Ft. Pierce.

Not boat. Pump.

Thanks George

I don’t need the auto feature S I have three bilge pumps but the new pump must be able to run in salt water. It really to take the water out for a dry bilge.

Thanks George

I don’t need the auto feature S I have three bilge pumps but the new pump must be able to run in salt water. It really to take the water out for a dry bilge.

I will attest they work great in salt water and dirty water and last for years afterwards But I am a little confused, you mentioned mounting it "permanently 3 feet above the water"??
Did you mean, as I inferred, waterline? Sorry if I misread your intent.

If you want an AC one especially, I encourage you to call the people at Depco Pumps in Clearwater and discuss your needs, they will have what you want and are extremely knowledgeable.

http://online.anyflip.com/ucrc/jfuq/mobile/index.html#p=34

Last edited:
My plan was to not mount it on the floor of the bilge but on a shelf above that. I’ve dealt with Depco and found them a quality company.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom