Deleting a post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can only delete your own posts. Click on the "edit" button at the bottom of the post. A screen will open that gives you a choice of "delete post" or "edit"...choose "delete." There's also a line asking why you want to delete it. Provide a short answer. Had second thoughts, Same info someone else already posted, Duplicate post...are examples.
Then click on "delete."

--Peggie

If you don't edit or delete it within a certain time the edit button disappears - don't ask me why.

After that you will have to contact a Mod.

How do I delete a post?

Mellissar,
Peggie & Mensies are correct - you can do it but after a period of time the edit option is no longer visible.
If that is the case you can click on the red outlined triangle with an exclamation point at the bottom left of the post to report a message. Note your desire to have your post deleted, with an explanation why and a moderator can take care of it.

Last edited:
The time frame for editing or deleting a post has varied but I think it is 2 or 3 hours from placing a post.

Last edited:
I have the edit option, but not delete - even immediately after posting.

"Delete" is a "sub-species" of "Edit". See where it says "Save", look across to the right and you will see "Delete".

If you click on EDIT at the bottom of the edit (text) box are some additional choices DELETE being one of them.

Attachments

• EDIT DELETE.jpg
    EDIT DELETE.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Anyone know why there is a time limit on editing?

...or just report your own post that you want deleted with the reason for deletion and the mods will get a PM about it. If we agree to delete it, you'll get a PM with the bank account for an anonymous "appreciation contribution". All proceeds go to our Mod Team Virtual Doughnut Fund. :D

Last edited:
Anyone know why there is a time limit on editing?

It is to keep people honest. When discussions get heated or thinks get said that people want to deny or change their position, this prevents the manipulation of people's statements. It forces you to think more thoroughly what you want to say since, after an hour, you can't change it. :flowers:

...or just report your own post that you want deleted with the reason or deletion and the mods will get a PM about it. If we agree to delete it, you'll get a PM with the bank account for an anonymous "appreciation contribution". All proceeds go to our Mod Team Virtual Doughnut Fund. :D

Promises of chocolate and bacon also get taken seriously. ;)

It is to keep people honest. When discussions get heated or thinks get said that people want to deny or change their position, this prevents the manipulation of people's statements. It forces you to think more thoroughly what you want to say since, after an hour, you can't change it. :flowers:
Some members abuse the edit/delete facility by posting attack messages, which many members and perhaps even they themselves knew were inappropriate,and immediately deleting the post. That way the offensive message went to everyone subscribed but it no longer showed on thread,thus avoiding reports seeking removal. I used to call it the "Post and Delete" trick.

Seems deleting after people have made subsequent posts is problematic.

Seems deleting after people have made subsequent posts is problematic.
Deletion immediately followed posting,so there were no subsequent posts pre deletion. Deletion prevented easily quoting to respond, unless you somehow used the post you were emailed. Even then,the offending post was not on thread. So the right jab worked,and the thrower danced away out of range.

Some members abuse the edit/delete facility by posting attack messages, which many members and perhaps even they themselves knew were inappropriate,and immediately deleting the post. That way the offensive message went to everyone subscribed but it no longer showed on thread,thus avoiding reports seeking removal. I used to call it the "Post and Delete" trick.

Well dang... Even as an ex-mod, I didn’t realize it did that. That means I have been guilty of it several... in fact well... let’s leave it at several... times! Uh oh. Several times I have typed angry replies only to instantly delete (or within the range) because sometimes I just don’t want to be that dick. But I always put that in the ‘reason for deleting’ field. Allllrighty then. My apologies to the mod team because I never really looked at it as a jab and dodge tactic.

Tom, as an ex Mod I saw it quite often, in irregular bursts. The difference between your deletions after reconsideration, and those I raise, is this. I was confident the post was placed with the decided intention to delete immediately after posting. I saw it as a tactic in debates, a way to say something seriously bitchy, insulting and personal but not have it on display for eternity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom