Grey Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hoped you weren't, and also didn't think you knew that it's actually been brought to market at least twice. And I wouldn't bet against somebody trying it again. Just glad to know it won't be you! :)
They are about to do away with R134a refrigerant in favor of a new hugely expensive refrigerant R1234yf that if it gets hot can kill people in the car..
And I don't know where it's ever gonna end. Not likely to in my lifetime....

--Peggie

We just need Mr. Fusion (like in Back to the Future). Your waste goes into the reactor and powers the 10 Gigawatt power plant for a year.

I often wonder how they enforce these regulations on the birds and fish in the marina.

sdowney - you're so right. And R134 exists because it has way higher profit margins than ozone hole causing R11/12. The intersection of Dupont and environmental regulators. See (if you're really bored) https://eng.ucmerced.edu/people/awesterling/SPR2014.ESS141/Assignments/DuPont .

R1234yr is nothing to worry about according to the manufacturer. And even if it is, it's only around for a little while. Besides, how often has anyone even heard of a car fire?

Carbonyl fluoride is generated in the combustion of R1234yr. CF is a first but more potent cousin of phosgene - think WWI gas attacks. Its highly corrosive, penetrating skin incredibly quickly. Further, it causes severe irritation to the eyes, skin and airways; inhalation damages the alveoli, reaching the circulatory system and killing vital organs.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. I fear we have become a technologically illiterate society.

Having permanent moorage in Discovery Harbour, this is a huge issue for me and many others here who are in the same situation, including liveaboards. I have no room for a grey water tank, and even if I did, how would I empty it?
How to lose business 101.

Is the policy in Discovery Harbour being enforced

Grey water

Thank you for the feedback regarding Grey Water in the Marina.

We are limited by the size of the facility we have to what we can allow to happen within the Marina. We understand that washing your dishes and other smaller tasks that produce grey water are inevitable and will undoubtedly make it into the Marina. Our concerns come from larger tasks such as showers and laundry. We have well over 400 boats in our Marina and large discharges of Grey Water especially at similar times of the day is not good for the harbour's image or the resident wildlife. We have laundry services onsite and we even offer free showers to our guests to help eliminate this issue. For those that do have grey tanks, we have just purchased a pump out boat to help eliminate any discharges to the Harbour.

I do appreciate the feedback and your understanding that we do realize some grey water will make it into the Marina, its all our responsibility to limit it.

Thank you and if you would like to discuss further please call me at the Marina office.

Trevor
GM, Discovery Harbour Marina

Is the policy in Discovery Harbour being enforced

Not to my knowledge at the moment. A posting of the rules (there are many other rules, most of which make sense) also stated that they will be in full effect as of January 1 2019.

Thank you for the feedback regarding Grey Water in the Marina.

We are limited by the size of the facility we have to what we can allow to happen within the Marina. We understand that washing your dishes and other smaller tasks that produce grey water are inevitable and will undoubtedly make it into the Marina. Our concerns come from larger tasks such as showers and laundry. We have well over 400 boats in our Marina and large discharges of Grey Water especially at similar times of the day is not good for the harbour's image or the resident wildlife. We have laundry services onsite and we even offer free showers to our guests to help eliminate this issue. For those that do have grey tanks, we have just purchased a pump out boat to help eliminate any discharges to the Harbour.

I do appreciate the feedback and your understanding that we do realize some grey water will make it into the Marina, its all our responsibility to limit it.

Thank you and if you would like to discuss further please call me at the Marina office.

Trevor
GM, Discovery Harbour Marina

Thanks for stepping in and helping clarify things for us Trevor. As someone who hopes to make it up your way in the future, I really appreciate it.

So if we are a visiting boat, can we assume that the policy is no showering or laundry in the marina unless we have a gray water tank? If that is clear, I would have no problem complying with that requirement and using the shoreside laundry and shower facilities. If OTOH, the policy is NO gray water discharge, such as sinks etc... that becomes a problem as on my boat we couldn't even wash our hands after using the head and I would need to avoid Discovery Harbor Marina.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom