Pondering a DeFever 66

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its because of our frugality that we could semi retire 30 and fully 20 years before most instead of remaining chained to a desk paying for new boats , marina fees, designer clothes and the latest "look at me" thing.[/QUOTE]

I think you just made the case that you are not the average buyer. I’m not in disagreement with your logic and I think it’s probably a very outstanding boat. The replacement value is in the millions. If I was looking for a boat to cruise to Mexico and beyond, living on the hook, I’d be interested. Facts are most buyers want to keep their boat moored close to home.

If I was looking for a boat to cruise to Mexico and beyond, living on the hook, I’d be interested. Facts are most buyers want to keep their boat moored close to home.

Very true. While I could very easily give up a dirtside home and move on a boat, my wife could not. Even if she could, neither one of us want to be be far away from our kids and grandson. For us, there isn’t any boating paradise that can equal the joy we get from spending lots of time with family.

IF I was to move on a boat and go cruising full time, this seems like a great boat. Who cares about resale value? A boat is a depreciating item. I’d happily move on board and figure that when I’m done I might as well give it away.

Bet the OP is sorry he asked. It would seem Simi is the responder with the gist of the subject well understood.

That said, the OP could get most of his questions answered by seeing the boat. The truth will then out.

I don't regret asking at all. A lot of the discussion here reflects the very same machinations I work through in my caveman sailor brain.

The short version for me is this:

For between $350K and $400K you could buy a smaller Nordhavn (40, 46) or possibly a KK48, or you could buy a 66' DeFever or 66' Cheoy Lee that is good at being a live aboard (large with 4 staterooms, walk in engine room) good for costal cruising (comfortable), good for entertaining (large outside spaces) and also capable of crossing oceans.

Yes, it's more LOA to maintain but if it's my house that part doesn't scare me. I’m pretty hands on (DIY) as well.

To get into a similarly sized, but still pre-owned boat you're looking at $1.2M - $1.5M.

Last edited:
That thing is awesome! It strikes me as an amazing amount of boat for the money. I am admittedly way out of my league when it comes to boats (lets call it what it is, a yacht) of this nature so two questions for those that are;

Twin 335 HP motors - is that really enough power to move her in a good sea/strong headwind?

If you ever wanted to replace the engines - does that mean cutting a hole in the side of her for removal / insertion?

I was really impressed with the interior, pictures can be a boats best friend but it looked beautiful.

350k for that? I definitely get the temptation.

Joining DeFever Cruisers Assoc would connect you to other owners of the same model. They also have an inventory which may tell you about this boat's past (or you can buy a title search from NOAA's boat registry for about $25). DCA has boats listed for sale, often before they hit YW and hosts rendezvous so you can step aboard various models and talk to the owners.

Lapis Lazuli

Just watched the video, its great!

I think 3 or 4 of us should get together and buy her!

It was my understanding the the yacth had some damage from Irma/Maria.
I think it was on YW that I had read that. I have lusted for that boat for 2-3 yrs it's been for sale. Several different brokers have carried her contract. Would have bought along time ago, however needed my money elsewhere. Beautiful boat, hope the next owner has a good buy.

Yes, the latest YW listing discloses damage to the upper bridge (canvas, Bimini) from Irma.

The video is older too so current condition may not match the video.

Despite a lot of dreaming and drooling it’s too soon for me to seriously consider it. But if it’s still for sale in another year or two, who knows!?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom