Magic Harbor Water Rats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost

Guru
About 23 years ago, I was working for a software company in Redmond WA. Late at night while waiting for some large job to process well past midnight, I’d often follow the writings of a fellow who lived on the water in Eagle Harbor not far from me, and would post the stories of his adventures, and for a short while dream of life on the water.

The water rats lived full time in Eagle Harbor, on derelict boats. The last of them were evicted a few years ago and now only their stories remain. Many told by a fellow named Don Berry, who past many years back now.

I’ve found his writings still living in a dark corner of the web. I recommend indulging in a little escape here if you have the time.

Magic Harbor, by Don Berry:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040919110718/http://donberry.com/harbor2/harbor2.html

On The Hook

Thanks for putting that up, its a fun read. I sure can see myself in many of his stories.

ghost,
Thanks for posting Magic Harbor. I have been away from the PNW for a while and looking forward to getting back. I know those waters well, and miss being there.
Thanks again

Was Magic Harbor a book? Or was it just this blog? It seems like there could be more to it than what's on this page, but I can't find a print version anywhere.

I don’t recall, but think it never went beyond the series of short stories

Interesting, I read a few chapters will read more later. I kinda reminded me a bit of Steinbeck's Cannery Row.

Berryworks.com is still active, which was the site hosting the story. Perhaps a message to them would answer your question about the source of the stories.

I'm 70 and when I was young Puget Sound and the rivers had 10 times or maybe 100 times the people on the water. On the Columbia River there was a marina or landing at least every mile. Some were no more than a wood barge with an anchor and a gangway, no pilings. Docks built alongside. There were little towns, all on stilts, usually part of the logging or fishing industry. I used to buy groceries from a store over the water. You could drive up with a car or boat. Many people were retired mariners. One I remember lived on a WWI patrol boat he served on during the war. Lots of retired tugs and commercial boats. Until someone lit them on fire, there were wood ferries and steamers tied up for 50 years, waiting to be recalled to service. Sometimes when the steel price was high one would be scrapped for the engines and metal in the hull.
There were several WWII ex-minesweepers like the Calypso, people were living aboard. Most marinas/landings had a bar. Many people spent their weekends going from bar to bar. When I was a kid, I had a job running a cruiser for a couple usually too drunk to run the boat. Cleaning up after one of their parties is how I learned to drink.

I liked it better back then. No EPA, dockage 50¢/foot, no limit on salmon, and on and on...

Great read, ghost! Thanks. I'm with you, Lepke.

Back
Top Bottom