Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #50
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Your luck with leaving the frig on for long periods without a power failure must be better than mine. I would bet money the first time I came back everything would be bad.
Give it away when you leave. Buy fresh when you come back. Get better at meal planning to minimize giveaways. Defrost and prop open doors when gone. Save all the expensive electricity fix money for fresh foods.
One mode of power failure, is the marina owner coming by and unplugging the boat. A marina I used to be at years ago, he did not charge us for power. When his power bill got too high, he would unplug boats. I would get to boat and see the plug laying on the ground, WTH?? I started tieing it on. Later he told me he has a power meter and he plugged into my boat and claimed I was using too much power. All I had running was the fridge and the charger. I told him when he unplugs my fridge and plugs it back in immediately of course the power demand spikes from a stalled compressor. The guy really was eccentric. Claimed I was running electric heaters and costing him a fortune. A short while afterwards, I went to a much better marina and half the drive from the house and no boat tax. I have saved almost $1500 now versus the other place. Cut my fuel bill for the car way down too, that is not figured into that savings. And no 40 minute drive on the interstate to get to boat anymore.

And I still have free power and water for $30 less per month. They don't mind me using power like the AC as long as I am at the boat.

Last I heard he has gotten alzheimer's. He fights with many people, always been scrappy. I am somewhat leery of going back there for a haul out, but his son who is cool level headed guy is running the place now..
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote