Anti-Freeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have pink/red ELC in my 3208s and have some weeps from connection hoses in colder temperatures. I do not have constant tension hose clamps in all locations but will be changing them over when weather cools down. I originally had several wet coolant areas when system was hot and under pressure but, systematically, tightened every conventional hose clamp and even replaced some. The 9/16" wide hose clamps with the smooth inner liner do a much better job of sealing the hoses but are a real pain to replace with hoses connected.

ECL will eat soften gasket material and wick through. The Cummins in my old boat has that issue at the cooling water return to the water pump.

Last edited:
I have a small leak on the port engine and I am trying to hunt it down. Sitting static, no leak. Running where the system is pressurized I get some drops below the engine on the outside of the port engine. Hard to get too, but I will find it.

A pressure pump that connects into the radiator cap should help you locate the leak. Pump it up and see if it holds pressure and if it does not the pressure should help you find the leak with out a hot running engine!

Green ethylene glycol is best, some of the new antifreezes when used with air space in the coolant can cause big problems with turning into gel. Lots of complaints.
If you dont believe me, then please use that orange Dexcool in your engine.
So many times they are redesigning good working products to inferior products.

They have a propylene glycol engine antifreeze. I have no experience with it.
Safe for pets. But how about engines.
https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/sierra/

Old green ethylene glycol can also turn acidic!

Last edited:
Anti-freeze differences

Hello-
After many years of reading this forum, I have decided to chime in. I believe I might have an answer for you... I believe what you are calling "pink" anti-freeze is probably red anti-freeze. Especially when discussing Cat engines. As previously mentioned, CAT elc (extended life coolant) is red. The major difference between this and regular green anti-freeze is an additive refered to as DCA (diesel coolant additive.) This is extremely important in high performance diesel engines (turbocharged.)

I have personally seen engines without this anti-freeze/additive have catastrophic failure due to a condition known as cavitation. If I remember correctly tiny air bubbles form on the cylinder liners and burst. This actually causes erosion of the liner and eventually wears through it. Coolant then leaks into the engine oil... not good!

So, in my opinion it is imperative to run high quality anti-freeze with DCA. I prefer CAT elc in all of my diesel engines. Hope this helps.

@ Alabama - You’re correct that different clamps with different hoses will yield various results. Your process of elimination, while a bit tedious, will result in a leak free system.

@ sum escape - a pressure tester leak test won’t account for thermal expansion. A good base line, but not a definitive test.

@Dzl - We’re all trying to help and I’m glad that you (and me) are finally posting up, but please do some basic research before making statements that a Cat 3208 can suffer from cylinder cavitation which is not true. The 3208 is not a wet liner (or “sleeved” engine) and as such is not subject to cylinder cavitation.

Last edited:
Green:

emotional-drag-queen-19782806.jpg

Or pink:

Patrick%20Holt%20aka%20Tempest%20DuJour%20-%20PInk%20Hair.jpg

The choice is yours :)

L

I believe my statement was just covering the difference on anti-freeze and the importance of using a quality anti-freeze in all diesels. I included the cavitation statement because it's something that many people WITH wet sleeve engines don't know or understand. Thank you for reminding me, why I never post on forums!!

Back
Top Bottom