Pantograph wipers don't hold to glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got three separate pantograph wipers. None of them are holding tight to the glass anymore. When lifted from the glass they tend to stay lifted, pressing them back to the glass doesn't have them stay there.

The manual says they're by Exalto.

EXALTO WIPERS #M-75000-04 ( MOTOR, ARM & BLADE )
COLD, HERSEE WIPER SWITCH
BLADE: 800MM ARM:690MM

I don't know the motor model, but they're all three mounted inside, behind a wood valance panel.

Are these serviceable at all? Or am I looking at replacing the arms completely?

Using the Internet Archive is handy for bringing up old websites. I found Exalto's pages from 2004.

Attachments

• grand banks manual listing.JPG
    grand banks manual listing.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20180722_193830.jpg
    20180722_193830.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 499
  • 20180722_193837.jpg
    20180722_193837.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 514
Good question, mine misbehave the same way. The Admiral has to go out and tweak then while we're underway to get them to 'work'.....a term which I use the loosely.

There are a number of replacement arms out there. My motor is working fine and suspect I can simply replace the arm. I have this on my todo list over the winter.

Springs weak or hinges up at motor end binding. Flip them up and check the springs.

I tried using some lubricant to free them up but I think corrosion has taken it's toll. I think it's a combination of failed springs and bound up pivoting points. The pivot point where it hinges at the motor shaft appears to be riveted in place. I'd have to drill it out and replace it on each arm (six total, 3 sets of 2 for the pantograph action).

My question is whether it's worth some elbow grease, a few parts and a rattle can of paint to refurbish them. Or whether it's better to just replace them outright. I've no idea what parts are involved, or how readily they can be obtained. Depending on which type these cross-reference to in modern part numbers it'd be between $130 and $250 per arm.

great thread as I have the same problem. wd 40 helped but not perfect. please advise of any replacement success--I may need to go that way.

I replaced a couple springs with SS springs used for a motorcycle exhaust. I had to form a C clip out of SS welding rod as the springs were too tight to the window as is. Doin that is tricky to get right, too much tension and the blade friction is too high and it drags the motor down,

I did buy one new wiper blade, it will have a new spring.

Spring source was this 38 MM length, maybe 43 MM would fit better not need adjusting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00852AX98/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20161020_145845.jpg
    20161020_145845.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Springs weak or hinges up at motor end binding. Flip them up and check the springs.
Yes, this will be the problem. Replacent springs of similar size should be easy to find in any hardware shop. I had to do that to my wiper arm once - many years ago - they last a long time, but do become 'tired' eventually. It is that spring about 5-6cm long fitted in under the cover over the nut where they bolt on you need to replace. Not even necessary to remove the wiper from the mount usually.
Just make sure the spring length is such that it takes some muscle (and needle-nosed pliers) to stretch it to hook the thing up at each end, or the wipers won't 'kiss' the glass firmly enough.:)

Last edited:
I've e-mailed Imtra & Exalto inquiring about my options. I first have to nail down which model currently matches what I've got installed.

In looking through their website there are replacement assemblies for the 'Idler Gallery' portions of the arms.

Anyone just use rain x and and forget wipers? I was thinking about removing them.
Anyone else?

Two of my three do not work. The third one, directly in front of the helm works but not very well even with a new blade. RainX works well enough that I am comfortable running without wipers.
Anyone just use rain x and and forget wipers? I was thinking about removing them.
Anyone else?

This is a common problem on OTR trucks and large buses.

There are helper springs sold at truck supply places , probably on line too.

Anyone have experience enough with linear wipers to recommend them over pantographs, considering the very high expense?

Anyone else?

It'll depend on the angle of your windshields and what kind of spray your boat typically throws, plus how much you run in the rain. I had a wiper switch issue that took out 2 of my 3 wipers one day last year on a somewhat sloppy day. Not a big issue for the most part, but I had a couple incidents where I threw up a big enough wall of spray that when a bunch of it landed on the windshields I was running blind for a good 10 - 15 seconds until they cleared enough. Fresh rain-x would have helped some, but with my raked-back windshields they just don't drain all that fast.

As a test, keep the wipers in place, but make a point not to use them. See how often you find yourself needing them.

Last edited:
Rainx. We took the wipers off my friends lobster boat in 1998, never to return. Its a wet boat like a duck. Use it on my Monk as well.

Rainx. We took the wipers off my friends lobster boat in 1998, never to return. Its a wet boat like a duck. Use it on my Monk as well.
Can RainX be used safely on a polycarbonate flybridge surround?

Attachments

• Polycarbonate Surround.jpg
    Polycarbonate Surround.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 26
RainX works great in the rain. It doesn’t work on those days where you are getting salt spray over the bow. If you are getting green water over the bow it works great. It’s the occasional spray over the bow we’re the water evaporates so quickly that you end up with a salty window. That’s when you will wish you had real wipers.

They must have changed their formula because the original stuff says no to plastic.

I had the same problem, replaced the pantograph arm with new Imtra ones that had a spring in each of the parallel arms rather than just the active. Solved the problem. Once you identify the right replacement arm, do an internet search - prices will vary more the 3:1 depending on source.

At the risk of restarting the arguement to RainX I learned to HATE the stuff.
I agree it depends upon what kind of water load you get but also the speed of travel. It works ok, actually well, on a car moving fast enough to create a real wind.
It was the SH66ts when moving slow , usuall traffic and a slow boat. When I HAD to use the wipers and I did it smeared so badly then I could barely see. And yes I CLEANED the windsheilds and reapplied frequently.

I tried all kinds of chemicals to get rid of it which I eventually did when I replaced the cars and had to redo the boat windows with new glass.

If the water load was heavy ,great, but not in a light spray that obscured vision but didn't apply a lot of water.
Never again to the point I tell the service garages NO to its use.

Anyways your choice of course.

But I say fix the wipers. New springs and or new blades and arms. They are not forever and do need replacement every few years as the sun AND the seawater take its toll..

A shot of WD40 or similar on the pivots should help also for the arms.

A bit off topic is I grease the drive spline on the motor shaft to keep the seawater out and prevent corrosion which will freeze the arm on the spline.
Not gobs but just a good smear.

If you have the manuals for your wipers then try phoning the mfgr/distr. for part and model number and the nearest outlet. Once a P/N is avail. you may be able to subsitute.

Regular wipers clear only an arc of a circle.

Pantograph wipers will clear a curved rectangle.

With a large swept area from single wipers a cruiser should have no problem from the small missing portion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom