View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
ABfish

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
My Eastbay has a maybe 20" section in the rails that has a collar that slides back (spring loaded). There are additional stanchions to reinforce the sides. The section of the rail there is straight, so the hinging piece folds back nicely. There's a tab welded into the top of the rail for collar to catch when it's hinged open. I don't have a more detailed picture.

For the bow, however, there's not likely many straight enough sections to make as clean a folding arrangement. That and a few pictures online of your boat show slanted stanchions on the bow, which would make it more work to add support that didn't look awkward.

Would a job like that require removing the whole rail, or could they do the work while it was still on the boat? All that welding/grinding near fiberglass would make me wonder...

I bring our toys up from the stern and walk them up the gunwales. I've never liked dragging things over the rails.
Thanks, WK and others. That's what I was looking for.

I can walk the kayaks up the gunwales, but that involves holding up a 60 lbs. boat with one hand, while using the other hand for hanging on to the handrails. It's easier with my smaller boat, which weighs around 35 lbs., but that one does not paddle nearly as well.

I'll have the rail modified when I haul the boat. Should be an easy job with a portable TIG welder. That's a clean process, particularly when working with stainless, that produces little splatter or sparks.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote