Black water discharge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if it is an older boat it could be legal. my son had a 1973 bluewater houseboat with a head that was direct overboard discharge.

if it is an older boat it could be legal. my son had a 1973 bluewater houseboat with a head that was direct overboard discharge.

Nope, no grandfather clause. When the law went into effect all the existing boats needed to add a tank or treatment system.

Unless it was also equipped with a USCG Certified Type I or II MSD (treatment device) in addition to the toilet, it wasn't legal. You'll find the US marine sanitation regs in 40 CFR 140.3.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/140.3

Paragraph 2(e) "grandfathers" older boats on No Discharge waters. However several states refuse to accept that and have made it so prohibitively expensive to fight it that few if any owners have tried to do so.

-Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Last edited:
Although US marine sanitation law only requires a Type I treatment device to reduce bacteria count to max of 1,000/100ml, the Raritan LectraSan, ElectroScan and PuraSan reduce it to <10/100 milileter. The Groco ThermoPure, which uses heat (and requires 115v/AC power) reduces it to -0-.

Thanks for that. I was thinking about mentioning how the Raritan system exceed the 1,000/100ml requirement for Type I device, but I couldn't remember the number. I didn't even know the Groco existed.

I’m looking to buy a 1986 GB36 without a black water tank. The 3 mile rule applies here in Aus. Can a b w tank be installed in a GB36 without a long run?

Back
Top Bottom