Another Failed Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I have read, Marine Traders were built by many companies but imported under the Marine Trader name.

The site above is for US companies only. Heritage East is likely the Taiwanese builder, using Marine Trader moulds to turn out a near copy of the Marine Trader, then being imported into the US together with other near MTs.
There were many builders of near MTs in Taiwan in the 70s and 80s, each trying to get a reputation as a better builder. Some succeeded, others didn't. There is a good article in the TF archives, by Bob Lane, from 1998 Passagemaker Magazine, that sheds some light on the history of the Taiwan building industry.

Arrgghh. You guys are great. Just getting into the search for a first time big boat (for us). Looking at Grand Banks 32 or a Mainship 350. GB s are scarce and overpriced what are your thoughts on the Mainships?

Arrgghh. You guys are great. Just getting into the search for a first time big boat (for us). Looking at Grand Banks 32 or a Mainship 350. GB s are scarce and overpriced what are your thoughts on the Mainships?

If GB are scarce, then how do you conclude they're overpriced? Wouldn't it just be they're above the price range you want to pay? We have dozens of very happy Mainship owners on the forum.

Love our Mainship

We enjoy our 2006 Mainship 34T. Fortunately, the previous owner made the upgrades — and more —- I’d planned to make as needed to any boat we purchased. It’s not a Sabre or Grand Banks, but it’s a comfortable, above average quality, and reasonably priced production boat. While my dream boat is a Sabre 43’ aft cabin trawler, based on our satisfaction with our 34T, I would certainly take a clean, well-equipped 43’ Mainship aft cabin if the right one came along. We actually chose a 34T over a 390. If you get a single screw, get one with a stern thruster, or include one in you budget!

Did the anchor work?

Seriously, as someone who dropped thousands on a survey of a 52 footer and then ate the cost and walked, I would not go forward.

First, boats are not like houses where it is location, location, location. You get to move them to where you want them. Another boat will come along.
A surveyor does not find everything. The fact that this boat was so neglected tells me there are potentially a ton of other things waiting for you.

I know it is tough to start all over again, but my recommendation is to do just that.

We are all pretty much saying the same thing.
Diesel boats are very complicated systems.
Once significant items of neglect, etc turn up, don't walk, run away.
Because you will continually find more items.

IF they gave you this boat for free, it would end up costing you more in time and money.

If GB are scarce, then how do you conclude they're overpriced? Wouldn't it just be they're above the price range you want to pay? We have dozens of very happy Mainship owners on the forum.

No just saying the GB 32 is a beautiful boat. Just hard to find for a reasonable price compared to the Mainship. I love them both.

No just saying the GB 32 is a beautiful boat. Just hard to find for a reasonable price compared to the Mainship. I love them both.

But a reasonable price, based on market, for the GB will be more than the Mainship. It cost more new as well.

We enjoy our 2006 Mainship 34T. Fortunately, the previous owner made the upgrades — and more —- I’d planned to make as needed to any boat we purchased. It’s not a Sabre or Grand Banks, but it’s a comfortable, above average quality, and reasonably priced production boat. While my dream boat is a Sabre 43’ aft cabin trawler, based on our satisfaction with our 34T, I would certainly take a clean, well-equipped 43’ Mainship aft cabin if the right one came along. We actually chose a 34T over a 390. If you get a single screw, get one with a stern thruster, or include one in you budget!

Thanks. So many choices in the Mainship. Like the 350 single engine and the stairs.... lol older knees and meets the aging in place requirements. Sort of the the stairway to heaven...arrggghh

But a reasonable price, based on market, for the GB will be more than the Mainship. It cost more new as well.

Understood. Love the GB style and lines....just wish there were more of them to level out the market price. Like the Mainship too. So many choices...

Island Gypsy 44

Hi
I am currently getting ready to sell my 44 Island Gypsy, the boat is in good condition and has none of the issues that you outlined. I am in Charleston SC area if interested please contact.

Hi
I am currently getting ready to sell my 44 Island Gypsy, the boat is in good condition and has none of the issues that you outlined. I am in Charleston SC area if interested please contact.

Why don't you post it in the TF Classifieds? There may be other interested buyers.

And Welcome to TF.

Back
Top Bottom