Old 08-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #26
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
The "forests" of BC have changed immensely due to logging. Most of the old growth cedar is gone, simply because it is difficult to replant. After clearcutting, or even any aggressive selective logging, a cedar forest struggles to regrow.

Have a walk through an old growth cedar forest. The ground layer is often made up of thick mosses and lichens that act as a giant sponge holding in the moisture. This layer is a very fragile and necessary part of the forest. Once torn up by logging an exposed to the sun, it is gone. Cedars will struggle to grow even if they are replanted. The forest loses its wet sponge base and any wildfires will burn much hotter. Heavy rains after logging now causes severe erosion and mudslides. The rich soil ends up in the once clear rivers.

Replanting pines and firs does not fix anything. Each process of logging and replanting results in a less healthy crop of trees. The soil left in some areas barely supports tree suitable for fenceposts. Its a sad situation.
I don't know which part of BC you are referring to, but it certainly isn't the southern coastal areas where I live. Here Cedars grow like weeds. The market for Cedar is poor at the best of times, with Doug Fir and other SPF wood being higher value by far, but frequently choked out by the much more prolific Cedars.

Those who know which soils and climactic conditions are most favourable to each specie can easily identify the places Cedar will be found in abundance. Likewise Doug Fir and others. Hopefully that knowledge is well known to the foresters of the province.

To digress a bit, I just watched another fully loaded ship carrying logs running down Houstoun Passage in front of my house. No doubt going offshore to make high value jobs for others.

Rant over.