Anchor drag alarm in Bedroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Opencpn has a smart guard zone section drag Alarm and its free

Last edited:
iPhone anchor alarm

I use an app called "Anchor alarm for boaters" It works well and we have used it up in the Broughtons. It's very low power, lets out a screech when the radius is exceeded and it is inexpensive. We also leave the gps on at night with an anchor alarm. I like a belt and suspenders.

You could always get an anchor that doesn't drag.
Your boat is big enough to carry one.
Any anchor will drag under the wring combination of conditions.

I like more information than a buzzer. This is in the sailboat, facing my head as I sleep. It can have any information I want on it: heading, location, wind speed or direction, even engine readings. It is backlit and dimmable at night, and has an alarm buzzer you can set for a variety of things. Most vendors have a similar display head.

I often set it to show wind speed, direction, heading, and depth. Sometimes DTW from the anchoring point. If the heading or wind has changed, then maybe the anchor needs to be checked as it will have veered or upset. If the wind it up maybe I should check. If my DTW to my original position is increasing, why?

Most the time, glance at it and go back to sleep. If you only have a buzzer, then you have no situational awareness.

Z9VRD6l.jpg

That makes a heck of a lot of sense :thumb:

I use the Garmin WiFi feature to connect to the Garmin app on my iPad. It provides full control and function of the Garmin chart plotter on the flybridge. So if the anchor alarm goes off, I can easily see if I’m swinging due to a wind shift, or dragging.

I also set the Anchor app on my iPhone. Make sure to set the alarm radius larger than your swing. Also, remember to turn it off the app when you go Dinghy riding ?

Raymarine Axiom bluetoothed to Bose Revolve Speaker, set anchor drag and carry the speaker where needed.

Here is my solution, I put in a Maretron DSM410 and then a 9” LCD mirroring my TZT12 using hdmi over ethernet. Works brilliantly and looks great on the nightstand. Note that I haven’t built the teak surround for the 410 yet.
This way I can not only do anchor alarms but also things like SOC so I know when I need to stop sleeping in and turn on the Genset :)
AC

Attachments

• CED6A047-66A1-4A64-BC20-97B2BA15F2FB.jpg
    CED6A047-66A1-4A64-BC20-97B2BA15F2FB.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 35
Obviously some issue with mobile uploads as the picture is right side up in my phone, needless to say the stuff is mounted on the nightstand not the ceiling...

+1 for buzzers. Our high water alarm and some others on the boat send a high pitch squeal. I have serious tinnitus that's actually louder and in the same frequency. Jan, "what is THAT noise?" Me, "yer kidding, right?"

We do use the new Garmin/Active Captain app on an Android fone. Pick up the Garmin wireless network on the fone and you have a choice of either helm or bridge screen to view. Set the anchor radius on the MFD and it shows on the fone. Not sure if the alarm rings on the fone. . . But, since the app gives total control over the MFD, we can switch on the radar, change screens, etc. from the Android.
Beats watching the news. . .:dance:

Back
Top Bottom