Old 07-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #14
Wayfarer
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Writing thoughts down is a great way to stand back, and take a good look at them. As good a reason as any for putting pen to paper/fingers to keyboard.
Agreed! It definitely helps scatterbrained lunatics like me.
That this has been the plan since January suggests the old weekly thought change pattern is in the past.
I'm thinking the same. I'm sure there will be doubts along the way, but I'm feeling much more committed.
I didn`t get any sense of selling the house to put the proceeds into the boat. Keep the house as an escape route, just in case?
I'm not sure on this yet. I was thinking that I may try to rent the place for a year while I try things out, just in case. I may just sell, and throw the proceeds down on the boat right off the bat. If I do end up moving back ashore, I think there are a lot of things I would do differently in the next house anyway.
One rider to add is this. Working as a ship`s captain,or pilot,means your work life is on the water. Do you want your whole life on the water? Probably yes,but think about it.
Oddly enough, working on a ship doesn't feel anything like being on your own boat. The ship is big enough that you really don't feel much movement most of the time. I don't ever get to go anywhere I want to go, and my office and the pilothouse are so far removed from the water, that sometimes it feels more like a waterfront building than a boat.
The best advice about this plan could come from existing liveaboard TFers.

Nothing is set in stone,plans can change,say if a significant other comes along. Stay flexible for what life may bring.
Some good advice for life in general.
Thanks Bruce.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote