Shaft Coupling - what type is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waddenkruiser

Vessel Name
Sømarken
Vessel Make
AMS 40'
Dear All

Does anybody know this type of shaft coupling?

I took these pictures some years ago when we had to rebuilt one of our gears (FL120 + Velvet Drive) ...

I'm interested in name, drawings etc..
Thanks in advance for your support.

BR Wadden

Attachments

• coupling-1.jpg
    coupling-1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 83
  • coupling-2.jpg
    coupling-2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 80
  • coupling-3.jpg
    coupling-3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 82
  • coupling-4.jpg
    coupling-4.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 236
First two pics show the assembled coupling from both sides of ERs rear bulkhead. Flange on the gear has 4 bolts while the part towards the prop has 6 bolts. In between a part which I saw never disassembled and which seems to be made of a rubber like material.
I wonder how it looks inside?
How are torque and thrust transmitted via the elements inside?

Why I’m asking? Never had an issue with the shaft coupling and never thought of it as a potential weak point. But a friend of mine lost one of his couplings (different and obviously poor design) this weekend while docking. Propeller shaft slipped backwards, prop damaged.
Fortunately no severe water leakage, stuffing box still working, and repair already underway. And fortunately it happened while the last docking of his vacation trip.

Sure would have been a good idea to seal up the edges when the hole was cut for the coupling. That bulkhead is rotting merrily away!

Looks like a homemade version of a Globe Drivesaver. Rubber can deteriorate with exposure to ozone or petro fluids. Wouldn't expect it to last forever. Next time boat is on hard install proper drivesaver

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom