Greetings from Down Under

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allan M

Hi everyone, just joined, but still trawling( so to speak) the available craft. I am retired and want to be closer to the sea, but my wife gets vertigo going around fast corners in the car. :facepalm: So of course this is a hard sell no matter what boat I decide on. I have a largish family ( 12 grandkids) and most love fishing in some form. Step sons love cray fishing etc , so I need to cover a few options in my search.

Anyway, the fun begins............

Welcome. Keep us posted on your search, good and bad experiences!

Glad you joined our family, Allan! “Fast corners” are nothing to worry about in our type of boats. Too slow. Your wife will be fine! Again, welcome!

Welcome,no risk of vertigo with trawlers. And in Tassie you get an interesting range of boats. Good luck with the search, walk around decks and high bulwarks could be good for the kids.

Thanks guys, for the welcome and support. Trying not to spend my money just with my eyes but with common sense. lol, But I like practical slower boats rather than fast and shiney ones.

Hi Alan
I have just returned from a cruise down your way.You have some great and beautiful areas and some pretty solid vessels.
Good luck with search

Hi Alan
I have just returned from a cruise down your way.You have some great and beautiful areas and some pretty solid vessels.
Good luck with search

Sealeaf, Glad you enjoyed your time down this way. Yes there are a few nice ones, they have a big wooden boat following down here, so some locals want to steer me that way. I do love wood, but it has to be in top shape I am told and maintained that way to make it worth your while.

Hi Allan and welcome. We are only about 30 minutes west of you, just to the south of penguin. Good luck with the boat search,

Brett

Hi Allan and welcome. We are only about 30 minutes west of you, just to the south of penguin. Good luck with the boat search,

Brett

Thankyou Jeystream, might catch up some day when I finally get apiece of wood or whatever to float of my own.:)

Allan

Another Allan, Welcome to the forum from the other side of the planet. Vertigo can be a real PITA, I know. Has she tried Brandt-Daroff excercises? Good luck with your boat seach!

Welcome indeed to TF. I was down your way a while ago and was very impressed with some of those solid timber boats so favoured in the apple isle. I have to agree with Bruce, walk around decks with a high bulwark is the go.

Sorry, a slight hijack....the best pie I have ever tasted came from a little port town called Bicheno on the east coast of Tassie, made by this women who has run the milk bar/corner store for ever. It is of course the mighty scallop pie, with a hint of curry in the bechamel sauce. Taste one & die a happy man!

Last edited:
Welcome indeed to TF. I was down your way a while ago and was very impressed with some of those solid timber boats so favoured in the apple isle. I have to agree with Bruce, walk around decks with a high bulwark is the go.

Sorry, a slight hijack....the best pie I have ever tasted came from a little port town called Bicheno on the east coast of Tassie, made by this women who has run the milk bar/corner store for ever. It is of course the mighty scallop pie, with a hint of curry in the bechamel sauce. Taste one & die a happy man!

Scallop pies are the best in Tassie for sure, I will check out the ones in Bicheno when next there - Blue Edge Bakery, I think is the one.

I would love a full walk 'round deck , better access for lots of things, like fishing and docking. Plus a little space for a chair and an esky! :socool:

Another Allan, Welcome to the forum from the other side of the planet. Vertigo can be a real PITA, I know. Has she tried Brandt-Daroff excercises? Good luck with your boat seach!

LaBomba, return greetings and salutations, the short answer is no, I didn't know about it either,so I looked it up. I think it would be great if it helps my lady, so I will tell her tomorrow and see if she will give it a go.

If it gets her to appreciate being on the boat then I will enjoy it more too.

Allan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom