59' K & H for sale...how do I research the yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So someone chopped the transom off and added an additional 6' and then made a new transom. Are they willing to supply the plans from the naval architect or was this something done by harry the part time carpenter at joe's boatyard and baitshop.
I'm sure it's fine, it hasn't fallen off yet, but you can see the potential for structural issues.

Not unique it seems. This Halvorsen,which I may have been aboard at a Sydney wooden boat show,has something similar. The owners son said it was purchased in USA and brought to Australia. It has been for sale 2 years +. There is another on the site which looks to have been customized at the stern. There was a 50ft Halvorsen in Sydney,now owned by a TF member,which I saw after it took a swim at its mooring, and it was very flat and blunt looking at the transom. Rather than butchering the boats, it may have been done for aesthetics as well as convenience. Maybe take a look, and check out the yard which did it.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1980-HALVORSEN-CUSTOM/OAG-AD-14987871/?cr=16&psq=%28%28Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%26Make%3D%5BHALVORSEN%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%29%29&pso=15&pss=Premium

Last edited:
add says a "reputable" Oregon shipyard did the add on...will have to ask for those records. I think they added the extension for fishing and water sports, etc

Another question. Detroit 6v92's at only 250 hp each? Seems the stuff I am reading shows higher hp (525+) Detroit's but I guess these were tuned for displacement speed only? I know that lower hp will make them last longer but just curious. 8 knot cruise speed.

Yes, something is not right with the HP rating. The lowest horsepower rating for a turbo charged intercooled 6V92 as shown would be 340 hp at an intermittent rating (3000 hours per year). The 6V92 natural (no turbo) would have a continuous rating of 240hp (unlimited hours). But the engine shown clearly has a turbo and an intercooler and probably an aftercooler below the blower.

The boat looks well kept and updated. The wiring is a bit scary but that is par for the course for Asian boats of that vintage.

...The boat looks well kept and updated. The wiring is a bit scary but that is par for the course for Asian boats of that vintage.
In a much updated 33 yo boat it is likely much of the wiring has been updated or reworked too.
Island Gypsy/Kong and Halvorsen/Halvorsen boats certainly have their issues, but scary wiring was not one of them.The wiring on my boat is methodical, neat, and tidy, and was remarked on for that quality, by a surveyor.

Without wanting to offend aficionados of other "Asian boats",these boats were well designed by Halvorsen and largely well built under Joseph Kong, previously of Grand Banks, in partnership with Halvorsen. They were not constructed to the varying standards in a variety of small and large yards Taiwan yards as were some other boats of the late 70s early 80s.

Thank you for the responses. Another issue I have is the extension. In talking around, I wonder if the running gear was extended ensuring the boat still handles well, especially in a following sea. Trying to get info outta this broker is a task it seems...

BTW...how do I find the "issues list" per say for Kong and Halvorsen boats?
A search of this TF section might help.I`ve not seen an "issues list" as such.The boat you are investigating is larger than most,so could have different issues.
Off the top, think osmosis, aging steel fuel/water tanks,teak deck age related degeneration. Note 2 early 1980s IG 36s I know of have foam (not teak) cored deck substrate, which doesn`t rot.

I believe many IG f/g hulls from late 70s early 80s were built in mainland China, and completed in HK. Mark Halvorsen told me he had visited the mainland factory,adding he was still at school when my 1981 boat was built.He has written a book about the family`s boatbuilding history (see the thread about it).

Hi Brett,

our vessel is the exact same Hull and is 57 feet in length. Kong Halvorsen built two models on the same Hull a 51 and a 57 foot motor yacht. From the photo's it looks like a 57 with a cockpit the same as ours, but ours was built later and was one of a number of custom Builds brought to Australia. Ours was designed here in Australia and badged a Halvorsen.

There is a sister ship here that was lengthend from 57 to 63 or there abouts post production, and is getting around fine. obviously the Props and shafts were left in the same location but the rudders were moved to the rear, and the boat performs fine. I think you might find the hull is original length, although the cabin looks like a 51, in that is closer to the bow , if that makes sense ?

Ours is very similar to the vessel you are looking at with the cockpit, if you look in the lazarette you should be able to see the rudder posts approx 2.5 feet from the transom ?

ours performs well at sea, and I note from the sales photo's it has the Niad stabilisers installed which we love also. It is an old boat so will have all the usual things to probably work your way thru gradually replacing and up dating gear.

have a look at the photo album on our page for photo's to compare.

kind regards Chris D Liberty 2015

Hey Chris, I do see the rudder posts near the rear of the boat in the sales pictures. Destiny is a beautiful boat! I will keep you posted on this boat...service on this boat has suffered for 5-7 years as the owner passed and his wife /kids owned, now mom gone also so working to get down to LA to see the boat.
Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom