Weird thruster behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I was out in SF Bay and the weather was pretty rough (small craft warnings). Fast moving 4' wind waves from 30+ knot afternoon winds that were extremely short period. Anyways, if I forget to shut the thrusters off after leaving the dock, they'll beep, reminding me to do so. I think at that point they auto shutoff.

In any case, after leaving the anchorage at Angel Island to head back to Oakland, the thrusters were off. However, while we were going through those wind waves, which were hitting us not quite square to the beam, but still on the starboard beam, the thrusters beeped as if I hadn't shut them off. Yet they were never turned on.

When I got to the dock, neither of them would activate. Then finally the bow thruster activated. Then the stern thruster would activate and I could thrust to the port, but when I thruster to starboard, it would beep and shutoff.

After a few minutes, both returned to normal and worked fine.

Any ideas as to what was going on? I'm assuming getting hammered by those wind waves had something to do with it. Maybe the force of the waves were spinning the thrusters?

Thanks,
Mike

I’d check all connections, panel, etc. Possibly the sea conditions rattled something loose somewhere. Just a guess.

Don't you just love the "protected" waters of the SF Bay/Estuary? :flowers: Yes, it does seem we've had lots of wind this season

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom