Testing Trawler Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhodam

Want to know how to find a trawler owner who will rent us a berth for a few days on their live-aboard. We want to evaluate that lifestyle before buying 50-66ft boat

Cheers Robert and Wendy
bhodam@stanfordalumni.org

Might try renting a trawler for the weekend or a week. There are charter companies that rent them and have someone walk you through all the systems. It's also possible to charter with a captain if that makes you more comfortable

Ted

I’d rent mine to you but we are on opposite coasts!

Barebones charter in the Carribean over the winter. That should give you a good idea. How much boating experience do you currently have?

I don't mean to be rude, but thinking that borrowing, renting, leasing, or visiting, someone else's boat for a short time will give you a taste of ownership is a silly notion. I wish you the best and hope you find an experience that guides you, but buying and owning a boat can't be simulated.

We're pretty new to this forum but are also looking for our first real cruising boat, leaning towards a trawler style. We just finished a fantastic, week long bareboat rental of a trawler through Southwest Florida Yachts. It was a great way to get a taste of the live-aboard experience as well as piloting a boat like this. It was a great learning experience and helped us understand what we like & don't like on the cruising boat we'll eventually buy. We've owned many boats but mostly mid-size center consoles but we understand the care and feeding of these toys!

If you just want the experience of the living space, I have seen boats on AirBNB. Saw one in Friday Harbor last year.

Bill
Double-Wide

Want to know how to find a trawler owner who will rent us a berth for a few days on their live-aboard. We want to evaluate that lifestyle before buying 50-66ft boat

Cheers Robert and Wendy
bhodam@stanfordalumni.org

There are lots of charter companies up in Anacortes and Bellingham WA who can put you on a wide variety of boats with a captain. Highly recommended for getting oriented to the whole experience.

Down in the Bay Area, try calling Club Nautique in Alameda and see what they have in the fleet. They have a great training program as well.

I note the Sea Ranch address; we have a little place down the coast across the river from Jenner.

Back
Top Bottom