Mainship 35/39 1999 swim platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay Carron

Would like to mount Weaver dinghy davits on platform. Have no idea how it is built, all fiberglass / fiberglass wood, how thick any problems with doing this? Would appreciate some knowledge on this. Hard bottom inflatable 10'6" Aquascan How would one detect leak if there was one. Jay

thread moved from "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" to "Mainship" subforum.

The 1999 would be a 350. Does your swim platform have the recall work done? It would have either 2 or 3 access hatches in the top of the swim platform if it does. There should be no issues with installing mounts into the deck of the platform.

Having trouble using system. Thank you for your reply. No hatches. Should I install? Called Marlow and got no info. Would make sense to be able to view sump in platform. Hope this gets to you. Jay

I don’t think anyone is having any luck getting Marlow to support the older Mainships. I don’t own one, but I think the recall had to do with water getting into the swim platform. I believe the recall included putting in access hatches and maybe installing a bilge pump. I would also check around the swim platform where it is attached to the hull for any stress cracking. Good luck.

The recall was to remove the top of the platform, dig out the foam that Mainship installed inside and then add access hatches to the top of the platform. I'm not sure if any of this was actually necessary as water will continue to get inside. Every year when I pull the boat i remove the drain plug from the bottom of the platform and get between 1-2 gallons. I don't think installing the hatches will do you any good as the foam would still be inside. Next time you pull the boat look for any possible stress cracks where the platform mounts to the hull. I get them on occasion right at the water line. However i dont think that is where the water is coming from. I dug out the caulk at the top of the platform where it meets the transom and recaulked. I'll know in November if it worked.
As far as the Weaver davits are concerned, we have them and they work great. the platform is plenty strong enough and we have rood to walk on the platform between the dingy and transom when the dingy is in the up position.
John

We looked at one before buying our current boat. It had the recall done and they installed a bilge pump. When we were on the boat it did pump some so maybe some boats take on more water than others? It would be fun to remove all the foam. We had a Triumph that was foam filled. When I added some cleats it was tough to get the foam out. I finally used a drill with a flexible extension and used a drill bit on the end to sort of route out the foam. With large access hatches and the larger interior area the swim platform may be easier than the small tight areas I was working in.

Thanks to all

What a great resource Thank you for your knowledge it was truly a help. Am now confident to install dingy davits, Jay Hope this gets to all who took the time and effort to help.

350s/390s, and especially the swim platform 'issue', have been extensively discussed in the Mainship Yahoo group.

Yeah, in 2018 Yahoo s*cks, but there is a LOT of good information about Mainships there that has been accumulated over the years.

With the insulation in place, there is no means to remove the water. In most cases, three holes were cut into the deck of the swim platform. This is because there are two small bulkheads splitting the cavity of the swim platform into 3 sections. One hole is cut in each section and the foam and water removed. The holes were replaced with deck hatches. some have to manually remove the water. some installed a bilge pump. It looks like at least one installed a new garboard plug.

There will be no way to install washers or a nut to bolt on a davit without getting access to the interior of the swim platform. There will be no way to get an arm and tool in there with the foam still installed.

You might be able to use a toggle-style seatpost mounting but I would be more concerned with getting the foam out of the swim platform at this point.

Hi Jay,
if i remember correctly from when I had mine done, the compartments are divided by the trim tab actuator locations. If you look from the bottom the tab rams are in pockets, these pockets create the divisions. The real purpose for the access plates being cut into the swim platform lid is for trim tab fitting service. If it is of any assistance to you I have the original Mainship work instructions, including drawings, in a PDF format. PM me if you would like them,
Gary

Gary, I would truly appreciate the file. Thank you. Hope one day I can help someone as much as this thread has helped me THANKS TO ALL. Jay

If you place your first hatch dead center in the swim platform, once you remove the foam, you'll see the two bulkheads. You can determine where to place the other two hatches from there.

Hi Jay,
PDF's attached, if they do not come through PM me, thanks and good luck, Gary

Attachments

• Mainship.pdf
    642 KB · Views: 149
  • Mainship2.pdf
    272.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 39-Trawler swim platform bolt location.pdf
    221.7 KB · Views: 109
Noah, thank you I could not ask for more info than you and Shrew have given me. Your time and effort is truly appreciated. Only thing left is for you guys to come down and give me a hand :):) Jay

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom