New to Florida HEAT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You forgot "swamp coolers" and moldy leather shoes in the back of the closet.

And the coffee can swamp coolers for the car? Back in the "good old Daze"

Wife would hate to pull the string on the car swamp cooler because she would get a shower until the water blew off. I was driving so it didnt bother me, just the front seat passenger got wet.

And yes, the attic fans. I have one in this house but with AC and electric so cheap, it gets no use at all.

and I agree, dont miss it at all, but do admit I have become a sissy. Not sure I could live that way now. No wonder life expectancy was only 65!!

I am sitting here looking out the window at the bay, outside temp is 114F apparent and inside its a nice cool Aircondioned 79F .

You know, even in july it only costs me $200 a month to stay cool and I will bet that in Wisconsin it costs more than that to keep warm in the winter.....

Dad bought a swamp cooler for the car as he and mom traveled west. It hung on the passenger window. Mom, the woman who was never satisfied, LOL was maybe almost satisfied but would never admit to it. And they had to stop for ice too to make it even more efficient. Her complaint was, could not see out the window. I dont recall she ever complaint about being too cool, in the desert summer heat. LOL
Some folks would use dry ice and die, if they were not really really careful.

Wifey B: Why did you try to cool the swamp? I don't get that whole thing and you drove the car into the swamp to cool it too? :confused:

When I was a kid, we didn't have A/C so I'd either visit a friend who did or go to the library and stay as long as I could. Then I'd go to my room and turn the fan on and get naked. Maybe that's when I developed my disdain for wearing too many clothes. :D

White gas? I've never seen any gas that was white. Was it painted or have dye in it? :ermm:

We had an attic fan. If you turned that super sucker on with a door open, it would slam it shut. Just never turn it on with a fire in the fireplace or house on fire. :rolleyes:

i'll go google the swamp cooler and white gas stuff to advance my education on olden times. :rofl:

Swamp coolers relied on evaporation.

We had one at the Idaho ranger camp. It hung over the window of the galley. I would wash dishes after dinner. LOL

Just left the 127 degree heat of the Middle East and arrived into Atlanta. Enjoying the wonderful weather today and the nice rains, until this afternoon...

... golf ball sized hail pelting us, denting the car, busted the moon roof and nearly broke two of my fingers - better the fingers than my skull which they were protecting as I ran into the house.
IMG_2207.jpgIMG_2208.jpg

There is nothing exactly like sinking in a feather mattress in an Iowa farm house during a hot, humid evening, like my great-grandmother's in the 1950s. GGM washed clothes with a scrub board in a galvanized bucket, in the basement, with home-made canned produce aligned on shelves. GGM lived into the 1970s to the age of 104!

White gas? I've never seen any gas that was white. Was it painted or have dye in it? :ermm:

White gas was a term reserved for 'unleaded gas' before unleaded gas was popular after we found that leaded gas actually put lead in the air, water and other pollution, despite what major industry tried to claim about lead being harmless.

Dad bought a swamp cooler for the car as he and mom traveled west. It hung on the passenger window. Mom, the woman who was never satisfied, LOL was maybe almost satisfied but would never admit to it. And they had to stop for ice too to make it even more efficient. Her complaint was, could not see out the window. I dont recall she ever complaint about being too cool, in the desert summer heat. LOL
Some folks would use dry ice and die, if they were not really really careful.

As a youngster, finally convinced my father to rent a car swamp cooler on our periodic summer journeys from California to relatives in Iowa.

And that my friends is why the Texas Rangers are building a new domed stadium. Playing baseball when it's 107 degrees, probably more like 130 degrees on the field is challenging. Attending such a game is ...... well, not sure what word would describe.

Meanwhile 2017 was the hottest summer ever for Miami and it did hit 98.

Had the extreme misfortune to go to a 1pm Dolphins game in September a couple of years ago. Sat on the west side club level of the stadium. The misfortune was two fold. First, the Dolphins were playing and second, was the sun beating down the whole game. Never again. This was before the remodel so not sure if it is any better now.

OFF TOPIC: My favorite Florida pro sports story is when the Miami Marlins with a domed stadium had a game rained out because they forgot to close the roof.

On the heat in general, deal with it. Go slow, take breaks, do all of the above. Was 110 heat index over the last several days. However, we have the Bahamas 55 miles away, The Florida Keys even closer, Dry Tortugas, etc. Beautiful water and boating. I'm willing to put up with some heat. Fair trade off and you do get used to it after a summer or two.

Last edited:
How ever did we live before the famous "heat index". It's just something to make us feel worse. SIGH

... Playing baseball when it's 107 degrees, probably more like 130 degrees on the field is challenging. Attending such a game is ...... well, not sure what word would describe.

The one advantage to such a situation is that you can drink all the beer you want and never need a bathroom.

The one advantage to such a situation is that you can drink all the beer you want and never need a bathroom.

Been there, done that. Ended up as drunk and thirsty. No thank you.
Oh and dont drink in a hot tub but, enough about me.

Try that after a Prostatectomy. No dont, you will be disappointed.

We've talked about scheduling, clothing, shade, etc. One other very important piece that hasn't gotten a lot of attention - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. To my mind, the single most important measure to survive summer outdoor work along the Gulf.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom